DVDVR Message Board

LIVE MUSIC 2022

twiztor

On 9/15/2022 at 7:12 PM, Pedro said:

Saw 311 last night and they played well but I left the night in awe of their opening band Tropidelic.  They are a good mix of Sublime and 311/incubus.  6 guys in the band and the energy they had on stage was insane. I bought 5 of their albums at the merch stand and saw they have played with Bone Thugs, Matisyahu, Nick Hexum, and a few other big artists.  Really recommend these guys.   Alcoholic, Cali, Hey Now, Falling Down, and Police State are really good songs. 

never heard of Tropidelic but checked them out after your post. these guys are pretty rad. been jamming all morning. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greggulator said:

My wife and I saw Pet Shop Boys and New Order last night. It was incredible. 

As I said last night: Imagine you are a band and you record Bizarre Love Triangle and that is not even your best song? New Order is just absolutely brilliant. 

My partner and I are seeing them tomorrow night at MSG.  Another two years in the waiting show.  

After that there's really nothing on the horizon we are jonesing to see until maybe next April when Bruce rolls back into town. 

• Like 1

Still not sure what's going on this month, because there are just too many shows planned. I'll probably get a ride to see Cannibal Corpse, Dark Funeral, and Immolation, despite my only mild interest in the first two (and hell the third one too really). Exciter is playing Reggies and so are two of my favorite bands High Spirits and Bible of the Devil, with a strange rock band I remember from years ago named the Toilet Boys. I MISSED OUT ON FUCKING MERCYFUL FATE/KREATOR TICKETS BECAUSE OF THE GODDAMN COMPUTER NOT LETTING ME ORDER THEM. In any case another of my favorite bands, Bulldozer from Italy, is coming in November and I already bought my ticket for their show in Indy. It'll be the second time seeing Deceased this year, haha. 

Punk shows in town may be iffy. Local pub the Brass Rail was being booked until their doorman/booker/scene legend just died. My friends are working on a new band, Death Call, and definitely have things percolating in the background. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Do they really need to? Seems like there would be an underground Deadhead/jam band-style live trading ring you can tap into out there. 

Honestly the more I think about it really there is no point in live albums anymore in the world of shared video, the only real downside is the lack of that material on Spotify (or your chosen equivilant). And yeah Primus/Claypool projects are definitely one of *those* fanbases that's pretty active at uploading material. There's a ton out there to consume.

I've got Lil Nas X on the 18th, and Danny Elfman on the 29th. Next month, I've got a Big Star tribute show featuring Jeff Crawford (MD), Mike Mills of R.E.M, Chris Stamey, Skylar Gudasz, Brett Harris, Django Haskins, Charles Cleaver, Pat Sansone (Wilco), Audley Freed, and special guests Susanna Hoffs, The Lemon Twigs, Chris Price, Jon Auer (Posies), and Luther Russell doing a tribute to #1 Record and Lizzo on the 18th,

• Like 2

I totally forgot about this killer bill coming up at Thalia Hall (never been) in Chicago: Napalm Death, Brujeria, Frozen Soul, and...

M D C

We almost played with MDC back in the day but our venue fell through. Gonna go way more apeshit for them than any of the others, however good they are.

Last concert I saw before the pandemic (aside from some random hair band at the Viper Room), was Depeche Mode.  

Well, they just announced a 2023 Tour in support of an unreleased album (coming next March):

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 8:04 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I totally forgot about this killer bill coming up at Thalia Hall (never been) in Chicago: Napalm Death, Brujeria, Frozen Soul, and...

M D C

We almost played with MDC back in the day but our venue fell through. Gonna go way more apeshit for them than any of the others, however good they are.

MDC seems to play shows every year or so at a coffee shop in Austin that does DIY shows with some moderately big but past their prime bands. This is from last year. I have never seen them, but when I've been at that venue for Kepi from the Groovie Ghoulies I've seen the posters.

• Like 1

Titus Andronicus is playing a show on Saturday at some venue a few miles from my house. I'm tempted to go as I've seen them all but one time in Austin since "The Monitor" (and they stayed at my house during SXSW one year) but it's also the first weekend of ACL aka Austin Hell and I don't know that I want to spend $50 to take a rideshare 5 miles.

• Like 1

Apparently the “Dead Boys” kicked off their tour in Austin to 75 people. It was supposed to be Cheetah Chrome and one other member, who no-showed and they had to scramble to find a drummer like 2 hours before the show.

and then on Instagram I saw that “Flipper” is touring, with Mike Watt on vocals, and playing the punk rock coffee shop.

Like I said, every band, no matter how washed up or how few original members are alive or in the band, are touring right now (and charging too much money).

Raven's coming through Reggies too. 

I might have another whack at Mercyful Fate/Kreator so cross your fingers for me. 

Insofar as the old punkers reunion tours go, Black Flag/TSOL/The Dickies is coming through soon. No idea who's in Flag anymore. The Dickies let my old drummer sit in with them on some songs one time, nice guys. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Raven's coming through Reggies too. 

I might have another whack at Mercyful Fate/Kreator so cross your fingers for me. 

Insofar as the old punkers reunion tours go, Black Flag/TSOL/The Dickies is coming through soon. No idea who's in Flag anymore. The Dickies let my old drummer sit in with them on some songs one time, nice guys. 

Black Flag is Ginn, skateboarder Mike Vallery, and a couple of young dudes. Flag is Keith Morris, Chuck Dukowski, Dez Cadena, Bill Stephenson, and Stephen Egerton. I saw the latter at Fun Fun Fun/Sound on Sound and it was great. I’d go for TSOL (I think that’s almost all original lineup still) and Dickies and probably split after the third late era 8-minute long Black Flag song.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Asheville this weekend for all 3 nights of Billy Strings' Away from the Shire. It's the first time I've ever completed a full 3+ night run for a musical act in person. It was quite the weekend if not a bit exhausting for my mid-30s. Also, I highly recommend seeing that part of the country this time of the year. It's gorgeous up there. Personal highlights for each night. The level of detail weaving the setlist to each part of the trilogy was a fun experience. Also, credit to Rushad Eggleston for owning his role as Gollum/Smeagol and his cello performances. Also, Ahn Phung for being a great elf playing the flute. 

Night 1:
Away from the Mire
Hide and Seek
Watchtower
Meet me at the Creek

Night 2: (enjoyed having Jon Stickley as Bilbo)
I Peed on a Bird (just the right amount of absurd)
All Fall down

Night 3: (Duane Trucks fresh off a WSP Halloween run to be Gimli for the evening)
Ramble On
All Time Low
War Pigs
Crown of Thorns

Edited by Chaos