DVDVR Message Board

LIVE MUSIC 2022

twiztor

now that the country has collectively decided that COVID is over, musicians are out en masse again. Here's what i have planned for the next couple of months:

March: Great White

April: Snoop Dogg/Ice Cube/Warren G

July: the Zombies

just heard about the Snoop show this morning, shortly before tickets went on sale. you better believe i jumped at the opportunity. SO pumped for that one. Great White is on my list of Hair Metal bands that i want to check out. the Zombies is the latest show at an old barn (https://www.codfishhollowbarnstormers.com/) that is just damn cool to listen to live music at. 

anything coming to your area that you'll be attending?

• Like 1

Got a ticket to see Mayhem, Watain, and Midnight in Joliet. Really I just wanna see Midnight but Mayhem is probably a once-in-a-lifetime deal for me, so it seemed important enough. Plus my buddies are going. 

There's bound to be a lot more good stuff coming. Said buddies already have lots of stuff planned. We went out and saw Teenage Bottlerocket at a local C&W bar last year which was the first official inside show I'd seen since Autopsy at Reggies on March 9th of 2020, and only the second since I saw The Obsessed and The Skull at an outside gig in Indianapolis prior. Looking at the placement of the Autopsy date and the fact that Reggies was packed to the gills... well, lets say I got real real lucky. The local scene is picking up again too; there was a house show with a bunch of hardcore and grind bands recently but I had to miss it due to the weather. 

• Like 1

I saw Greensky Bluegrass in Birmingham last Thursday and had too good of a time. 

I'm waffling on what my next shows are because I'm waiting on Dead & Company dates to be released.

In April, I'm looking at some of the following: John Mayer in Atlanta, Joe Russo's Almost Dead in Asheville, Sweetwater 420 Festival in Atlanta.

I also wouldn't mind swinging Fleet Foxes in the Pelham, TN caverns in July. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saw The Swell Season the other night, and it was quite a show.  Don't know that I've seen anything quite like it in terms of musicians appreciating their place.  I'm too used to stories like you'd hear about, say, Coheed & Cambria, who are the epitome of "never meet your heroes." 

Of course, it was tempered a bit by looking up their Allmusic article afterwards, and realizing that Hansard was 36 & Irglova was 18 when they made Once, and they were dating at the time.  Partly explains why the movie feels the way it does, but it also kind of makes the whole thing more than a bit squick.  I really thought she was older.  I think this also makes it reasonable to understand why she hasn't toured with them in a while and may not do so anymore.  She's talented enough on her own, and why would you want to keep doing the same thing you were doing when you were 18 just because that's all a bunch of people remember about you, especially if it comes with as much baggage as that probably does? 

But really, they were good enough to see individually.  I think her music might be trying a little too hard to be cerebral, but damn she can really sing, which the movie didn't showcase.  And it's a good thing Hansard is a musician instead of a cult leader, because he'd be fucking dangerous as the latter with the way crowds respond to him.

South by SouthWest came and went, and I was out of town or otherwise occupied for most of it. I also wasn't really ready to start spending time in large crowds from around the country/world, even outside. I did go out on Sunday to the annual Chili Dog Fest, which is mostly local bands and Austin locals raising money for the Central Texas Food Bank. The highlight of this year was seeing Mike Watt, even if it was just with his (mostly) jazz band MSSV.

I have tickets to see Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, and Negative Approach at both of their Austin shows in late April. 7 Seconds is the band that saved my life as a teenager in the late 80s, and I'm excited to see them again at 50, and realize if this goes off I will have seen them at least once in every decade since the 1980s (the first two times being 1989). They've been livestreaming their sets on Facebook and they sound good for a bunch of guys pushing 60 who haven't played together in 8 or so years and working with a new drummer (albeit NYHC legend Sammy Siegler).

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 6:42 PM, Contentious C said:

Saw The Swell Season the other night, and it was quite a show.  Don't know that I've seen anything quite like it in terms of musicians appreciating their place.  I'm too used to stories like you'd hear about, say, Coheed & Cambria, who are the epitome of "never meet your heroes." 

Of course, it was tempered a bit by looking up their Allmusic article afterwards, and realizing that Hansard was 36 & Irglova was 18 when they made Once, and they were dating at the time.  Partly explains why the movie feels the way it does, but it also kind of makes the whole thing more than a bit squick.  I really thought she was older.  I think this also makes it reasonable to understand why she hasn't toured with them in a while and may not do so anymore.  She's talented enough on her own, and why would you want to keep doing the same thing you were doing when you were 18 just because that's all a bunch of people remember about you, especially if it comes with as much baggage as that probably does? 

But really, they were good enough to see individually.  I think her music might be trying a little too hard to be cerebral, but damn she can really sing, which the movie didn't showcase.  And it's a good thing Hansard is a musician instead of a cult leader, because he'd be fucking dangerous as the latter with the way crowds respond to him.

I ended up not making it up for this, but I watched a couple videos uploaded to YouTube. They really sounded good this tour, and Hansard seemed hopeful to do more dates as the duo in the future. I knew there was an age difference, but I didn't know it was that off and icky. I think that was the only time they played Fitzcarraldo on this tour, which that and Hansard singing Leave would have been high on my list to see. 

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I have tickets to see Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, and Negative Approach

You fucker. They're at the Vic in Chicago on Friday and I not only didn't know about that tour but DON'T HAVE TICKETS (and have to work). The last time NA played there people were jumping off the balcony. *sigh*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, twiztor said:

March: Great White

Note: This is "Great White" (original guitarists and drummer), not "Jack Russell's Great White" (original lead singer). 

the Great White show was last weekend and was a really fun time. I'm trying to hit as many of the 80s Hair Metal bands as i can before they retire or worse, so the last couple years has been a pretty mixed bag. Some of them just overload their live shows with ballads, which, yuck. But Great White kept it pretty rocking all night. Their lead singer joined in 2018 and raised the energy level quite a bit. 

Mayhem/Midnight 4/3/22 ROAD REPORT~!

Spoiler

Mayhem/Midnight was AWESOME. The Forge in Joliet is a nicely sized venue with shoehorn balcony (I really wish I could have gotten up there) not two blocks down from a parking garage. We got there early enough for a wait but it was certainly worth it. Midnight is someone I should have definitely seen before but somehow they've eluded me. I was aware of their earlier stuff but in the ensuing years they put out a slew of albums and moved up the chain all the way to Metal Blade, so thus a tour with Mayhem. Their style is banging Venom + Motorhead stuff from the main guy behind Boulder out of Cleveland (a different and really cool group) and the trio all wear these Halloweeny executioner hoods where the fabric makes them look faceless, it's really cool and thankfully not a Mentors ripoff. Very energetic set with the guitarist banging on his instrument like he was Doyle from the Misfits. They revealed that this was being filmed for a DVD, which is ironic since that Autopsy show I mentioned above was taped for a live album. The youngins went off for them and there was even some curly haired kid that got crowdsurfed twice. Thankfully my old ass didn't get blasted by anyone, having made a two-person deep wall between myself and the whirling dervish. Really nice lights in the venue too. 

For Mayhem we got stuck behind some six-foot-four ponytail dudes and a column but they had three set changes so we moved to the center for the second and WHAM, they went right into "Freezing Moon" with the lights blaring down at us and the band with a full costume change in purple monk robes to play a bunch of songs from De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Crowd thankfully was less moshy (after all, No Mosh No Trends No Fun No Core, as Euronymous wanted it). The youngins didn't get the memo but oh well; at least one had full-on Dead facepaint even though he had a Slipknot patch on his vest. The third set change (first was new songs) was what was apparently the ENTIRE Deathcrush mini-LP which made my jaw drop. Attila looked awesome in his attire each time, weirding out, clutching various bone constructions, howling into the mic as only he can while audio twisted the knobs on him to make it double bizarre. The playing was immaculate down to the echo on Hellhammer's drums from the studio versions. He was obscured pretty much the whole time but still had his familiar look while everyone else seemed to have shaved their heads, except for Necrobutcher's little curly-q ponytail that looked like a question mark stuck to the back of his head. So in short as he said in the Metal: A Headbanger's Journey doc in that ill-fated interview, "We're Mayhem, WE RULE."

Of course the ride itself was a blast. We crammed five of us into a friend's gal's ride and went on down the highway which was the first time we'd had a full-car road trip in probably 2+ years. The two non-metalhead friends of ours proceeded to get plastered and overenthusiastically high-five random people just to fuck with em. Metalheads being impeccably mannered took this in stride though I'm sure the corpsepainters were thinking "he better not come over here". No real Nazis seen minus a few Burzum shirts. During Midnight I was stuck between a tall ass, shorthaired dude in front who was dressed normal (white shirt even) and who didn't move AT. ALL. during the whole set; dude on my left was also a tall ass dude who did not move at all yet was wearing a full leather bondage-type suit covered in studs and a pointy leather facemask. Bizarre. The traditional White Castle raid occurred though we had to double back after missing our turn. It's still garbage but it cleansed the works out well. The stopoff in Kankakee there has a long stretch of mom and pop businesses that all have their own special handmade signs which made me feel like we'd stepped into a time warp. While eating we mused that if a K-Mart or Circuit City appeared nearer the highway with the big businesses we truly might have. 

All in all a great trip -- and I even stayed sober! Trust me, that is a rare development and one I want to repeat.

(Watain had to drop off the bill due to visas or somesuch but considering they had a 45-minute set change and constant strobes, they were not missed.)

One more thing was the stellar musical choices for between sets; I caught "Endless Blockades" by GISM, "Metal Knights" by Nasty Savage (!!!), and soon as Mayhem ended "Nuns Have No Fun" by Mercyful Fate came on with many of us openly singing immediately. This was also I think the last night of the tour so everyone got picks, dabs, handshakes up front and Attila seemed really chuffed at the end, standing there thanking us profusely. 

Of course right after Fate the venue turned on funk to try and get us out. Sorry but that doesn't work on my end, people haha

I have tickets to see Sigur Ros in May and Fleet Foxes in July, both in Marietta. I just got tickets to see Red Hot Chili Peppers in August at Truist Park but I've always heard that Anthony Kiedis sucks vocally live. I just don't feel that Anthony Kiedis or John Frusciante are long for this world after Taylor Hawkins' death.

Edited by Andrew POE!

19 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I have tickets to see Sigur Ros in May and Fleet Foxes in July, both in Marietta. I just got tickets to see Red Hot Chili Peppers in August at Truist Park but I've always heard that Anthony Kiedis sucks vocally live. I just don't feel that Anthony Kiedis or John Frusciante are long for this world after Taylor Hawkins' death.

I went to see Sigur Ros a few years back with my wife, I was hesitant because I was expecting Bjork-ish elven shit. I turned to her about halfway through and said “well shit if you had told me they sounded like Russian Circles I would’ve been more excited”. I’ve been told it’s not always but mostly like that.

On 3/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, Chaos said:

I saw Greensky Bluegrass in Birmingham last Thursday and had too good of a time. 

I'm waffling on what my next shows are because I'm waiting on Dead & Company dates to be released.

In April, I'm looking at some of the following: John Mayer in Atlanta, Joe Russo's Almost Dead in Asheville, Sweetwater 420 Festival in Atlanta.

I also wouldn't mind swinging Fleet Foxes in the Pelham, TN caverns in July. 

I got my tix for Dead and Company in Boulder the other day. Then I read that this is the last Dead and Company tour. I'd imagine Billy's health issues are a factor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I got my tix for Dead and Company in Boulder the other day. Then I read that this is the last Dead and Company tour. I'd imagine Billy's health issues are a factor.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if I can swing Wrigley or Citi Field. There being no Southeast dates really bummed me out. Atlanta is usually a gimme.

Bobby and Billy both denied it's the last show on Twitter though. I'm a little more worried that Mayer is kind of wanting to focus on solo stuff again because I think they had envisioned D&C turning into a Mayer vehicle once Bobby and crew were done, which a tandem of Mayer/Russo/Oteil/Chimenti/???/??? (Hamilton? Billy Strings? Hartswick? Nicki Bluhm?) would be a fun experiment. 

Keith Morris (Circle Jerks singer) caught Covid a couple of weeks ago, and apparently his recovery is slow enough that they've now postponed all of the Circle Jerks/7 Seconds/Negative Approach tour dates until mid-May, including the 2 Austin dates next week I was really excited for. I'm also a little worried that all these delays are going to affect the bill moving forward. I love CJ, but it was 7 Seconds I was desperately looking forward to and I will be heartbroken if this ends up derailing my chance to see them one last time.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2022 at 3:47 PM, Chaos said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if I can swing Wrigley or Citi Field. There being no Southeast dates really bummed me out. Atlanta is usually a gimme.

Bobby and Billy both denied it's the last show on Twitter though. I'm a little more worried that Mayer is kind of wanting to focus on solo stuff again because I think they had envisioned D&C turning into a Mayer vehicle once Bobby and crew were done, which a tandem of Mayer/Russo/Oteil/Chimenti/???/??? (Hamilton? Billy Strings? Hartswick? Nicki Bluhm?) would be a fun experiment. 

Dead and Co this weekend in Boulder were awesome, especially Saturday night. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Dead and Co this weekend in Boulder were awesome, especially Saturday night. 

I've listened to a good chunk of night 1. I also watched some of Oteil's IG live stream for Night 2.

That Franklin's Tower was great stuff. 

The Accused A.D./Deceased/Overdose/Texas Toast Chainsaw Massacre (heh) @ Reggie's Rock Club, Chicago IL

Spoiler

This was fun. I had a rough morning but managed to get it together to help drive up. This was my sixth time seeing Deceased and of course their singer/now studio-only drummer King Fowley was hawking wares right at the door so we talked for a sec and I bought a hat. TTCM was a party thrash band (think Municipal Waste) that broke a door with a chokeslam onstage and had a guy running around with a tiny fake chainsaw. I thought he had a Leatherface mask on from the balcony but then I get on the floor later and here is this guy grinning and running around that looked JUST LIKE SAMMY DAVIS JR., but wearing a longhair wig. It was surreal.* Overdose sounded just like Motorhead and covered "Iron Fist". Deceased, of course, killed it. They have all new members for the live shows but everyone is super on-point including a phenomenal drummer. King was his usual gregarious self, cracking jokes with the crowd, blessing people with a drum stick, goofing around in a monster mask. I think I now know every beat and every note of every song they break out. Another Fearless Undead Machines-heavy set but I didn't mind one bit. The Accused unfortunately had some guitar troubles at first but they cranked through the entirety of The Return of Martha Splatterhead. Blaine still sounds like he did in 1983 and they had one of the later guitarists and a different bass player and drummer that played with Poison Idea once upon a time, probably for a cup of coffee judging from their turnover. After, we went down the street to a dirty White Castle with loud aggressive black women yelling for food and cracking jokes at us and homeless people begging in and outside the restaurant. I haven't destroyed the toilet yet so, there.

* The other fans of note last night were a very cute number who blew up an inflatable shark and was waving it around, another gal with -- get this -- yoga pants with King Diamond's face printed all over them, and she appeared to be with a dude who looked like Danny Lilker from SOD/Nuclear Assault/Brutal Truth etc. only with the face of the McDonald's Moon Man. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been going to as many shows as I can since live music was allowed to kick back into gear here, but now international bands are touring here again it's been a really good time. Getting to see The Bronx play a tiny little dive bar that made the gig feel like a house party was really cool, but then on a complete flip side I saw both Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle play stunning singer songwriter sets on a rainy Sunday night, the right mix of beauty and melancholy. 

And so many local punk and metal shows, so so many and it's all been magnificent. The Australian punk/metal/hardcore scenes are just killing it now.

• Like 1

I love Aussie metal but you guys have had a problem with shady musicians in bands for awhile now (see: Destroyer 666, Vomitor, Spear of Longinus, etc. All basically Nazis.). I'm not sure why that's such a thing down there. 

My dumb ass forgot to request off for a local show next Friday; La Armada is coming down from Chicago. My buds in this band set it up: Music | Death Call (bandcamp.com)

On 7/10/2022 at 1:22 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I love Aussie metal but you guys have had a problem with shady musicians in bands for awhile now (see: Destroyer 666, Vomitor, Spear of Longinus, etc. All basically Nazis.). I'm not sure why that's such a thing down there. 

When I was first discovering extreme metal in the 90's on a local level as a teenager, D666 were one of the first bands I saw when I was like 15, even at that age I thought a lot of the things KK Warslut did and said were fucked up and I soon moved on to much better bands with much better people. Bands like Armoured Angel, Alchemist and Blood Duster were killer bands and good dudes, a huge influence on me and around the age of 17-18 (so '99-00ish) I really started getting into hardcore and stuff like Mindsnare and Toe To Toe, or seeing lots of killer female bands like Nitocris. Our scenes are actually pretty diverse. I still think Alchemist were one of the greatest metal bands of all time. 

As for the far right/Nazi influences some bands have, I think it's two fold. Firstly racist and fascist political organisations have openly existed in Australian society for years, even when they're treated like a joke by the overwhelming majority they're still seen. Second, a lot of those bands seemed to heavily rip off a lot of the European black metal bands wholesale in what they do, so I have no doubt some of the fascist and violent attitudes of those bands rubbed off on the bands you mentioned. Burzum and Impaled Nazarene seemed to be big influences. 

Bit of a waffle there haha. Nowadays the punk, metal and hardcore scenes here are actually very diverse and far right bullshit gets stomped out pretty fast. D666 were supposed to return here for a tour a few years back and basically the entire scene and venues told them to fuck off.

• Like 1