DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

There is absolutely no way that AEW is keeping people to avoid having them speak badly about the company. It belies logic. If you're gonna spend money to have people keep their mouth shut, a little severance package and/or an NDA would be the way to do it. A bunch of people have had or are having their deal expire. Swole is to my knowledge the only person who has said anything negative, and it only blew up into a whole thing because of TK's tweet, which was truthful, but not the right thing to say publicly.

• Like 4

The idea that AEW would keep somebody under contract like Brian Cage to avoid badmouth seems pretty silly.  It also seems like an idea from one of his many detractors. 

The purposed MJF bodyguard idea is perfect.  This works to his strengths-his look and ability to pull off neat power/agility spots here and there.  Cage as a wrestler needs to better grasp pace/psychology before he has any upward mobility.  His mid-match super kill death spots end up making him look weak when they result in a 'shocking' 2 count and quick comeback.  The heavier Keith Lee doing a fraction of his stuff but making things matter could be a good pointer/inspiration.  Also, there's a lot of great minds backstage in AEW to help him.  I for one (maybe I'm the only one), am curious to see the big guy get another chance.  I assumed a fresh coat of paint in the new ROH would be his destiny, but... speaking of which...

On 3/18/2022 at 8:51 PM, Gordlow said:

https://www.rohwrestling.com/

As seen on the ROH thread, FTR vs Briscoes has been booked for Supercard of Honor. 

What's also interesting, and why I'm posting this here, is that it looks very much like SoH will be going head to head with Rampage that week. 

I am assuming that the date and time were already set and Tony Khan decided to honour that commitment (no pun intended) (rather than assuming that Tony Khan is trying to book AEW some direct competition).

It will be interesting to see how that affects ratings, and hilarious to read how the "The Sky Is Falling" and "same-day American TV ratings are still the be-all and end-all because the TV landscape has not changed since the 90s" brigades react to those numbers! I can hardly wait. 

If I am able to watch the ROH show live, it will be a tough choice which one to go with first, and which one to watch later. It will be really interesting to mine the Supercard for clues about the future direction of ROH, and to see who Tony Khan books on each show that day.

It will be fascinating to see what gets booked on Rampage. That's WM weekend, right? Presumably lots of hardcore fans will be in the area instead of home watching TV, and there will be many many alternatives to Rampage, and the Supercard going on around then.

Will AEW punt on the show to give ROH more views or go all out (also no pun intended) to draw eyes their way? Will there be cross-promotion?

Gonna be interesting!

+

I am very intrigued by this first ROH show.  @RIPPApulled quotes from Tony's Busted Open interview that answer some of your questions.  But still lots of question marks.  Can't wait to see who fills out this roster, the commentary, the set, the new logo, live show and broadcast logistics, etc. etc.  I have no doubt this refresh will be exceptional and a great improvement.  Not to mention a fantastic opportunity for a lot of rising young guns.  And a few deserving vets (can we get Silas Young a job?  Chris Hero maybe?).  

I'm more stoked for FTR v Briscoes than anything on the last fantastic AEW PPV.  I really hope this isn't a one and done for Dem Boys.  I need this thing to go at least 6 months with a best of 5 or 7, a gimmick blow off, etc. etc.  As for where to tune on that Friday night - weekly Rampage is a very enjoyable high end weekend B show, but no question it'll be the honorable Supercard for me.  Rampage may end up being like a punt, but will surely be, as always, a terrific Saturday morning broadcast.  I'm sure logistics (eg. the ROH show being a PPV) etc etc won't or wouldn't allow for a simulcast, but it would have been neat.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Give me more Konosuke Takeshita, and Jun Akiyama vs Eddie Kingston you cowards. Also, NEO Biishiki-gun, Maki Itoh and Shoko Nakajima.

Tetsuyo Endo versus everybody they signed from NXT the last six months.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Outside of Takeshita and the veteran Akiyama, to those in the know, who are the DDT dudes to look out for?  Stoked about this annoucement.  I wonder if it's too soon to get some sort of a showcase on the ROH refresh?

I like Tetsuyo Endo, Yuki Ueno and Naomi Yoshimura in addition to the best guy they got, Konosuke Takeshita.  Yoshimura in AEW would rule.

EDIT:  HOLY FUCK! THEY CAN SEND OVER MOTHERFUCKING YUJI HINO!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I don't know who started that baseless speculation about AEW keeping everyone so no one can disparage them. But that's just silly. Cage did a video interview with some site just this week and explained he was as surprised as anyone they wanted to keep him, but they have an idea for him we all just have to wait to see what it is.

That's not how the wrestling business works. If someone is unhappy enough to make disparaging comments when they leave, they are also unhappy enough to stir shit up backstage during a show they aren't being used at. There's a reason WWE isn't flying Ali in for all the Raw tapings and they're sitting him out. You think Cage tweeting his thoughts makes AEW look bad, wait til dude starts unplugging cables trying to mess with their satellite feed or something lol.

Warner Media couldn't give two shits what a wrestler says on Twitter. Unless TK is physically or verbally abusive with them or using hate speech or some other high level offense. Brian Cage & his wife saying TK sucks and Cage should have been used better makes exactly zero impression on the media rights deal.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I like Tetsuyo Endo, Yuki Ueno and Naomi Yoshimura in addition to the best guy they got, Konosuke Takeshita.  Yoshimura in AEW would rule.

EDIT:  HOLY FUCK! THEY CAN SEND OVER MOTHERFUCKING YUJI HINO!

SCREW THAT I WANT GIANT PANDA!!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Give me more Konosuke Takeshita, and Jun Akiyama vs Eddie Kingston you cowards. Also, NEO Biishiki-gun, Maki Itoh and Shoko Nakajima.

I was going to ask if NEO Biishiki-gun were still in DDT/TJPW as i thought Mei had been mostly doing Chocopro.

But I just checked cagematch and they had a match yesterday apparently.

6 hours ago, colonial said:

They appear to be wrestling as that persona for a Rhodes Wrestling Academy show next weekend.

I had to go look and see where RWA was located, figuring it was in the Austin area, and sure enough it’s in Leander which is right next to Cedar Park (where the 3/23 show is). 

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I was going to ask if NEO Biishiki-gun were still in DDT/TJPW as i thought Mei had been mostly doing Chocopro.

But I just checked cagematch and they had a match yesterday apparently.

It's not like Chocopro keeps you from AEW at all...

TJPW is also part of the AEW/DDT agreement as well.

Edited by alstein

Boy there's some Weapons Grade Billionaire worship and at least forgetting why Cage was off TV to begin with going on here.  It's not like there is a bit of smoke to this deal 

6 hours ago, The Snare on St. Anger said:

Man I haven't been on this forum in a while but AEW reignited my interest. Anybody catch Hey!(EW) with RJ?? It's like the between two ferns of wrestling and just fantastic stuff!

I really like it so far as well as the comparison.  Danhausen was the right first guest and Tony was down for playing along.  Chuck Taylor and Starks seem like perfect options for future guests.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:22 AM, The Natural said:

Good Kenny Omega's getting those surgeries without a time frame for his return than one who comes back too soon.

Say what you will about Kenny Omega, but that is one tough son of a bitch to be wrestling the schedule he has with the high quality of matches he consistently puts out with such a shit ton of injuries. Take you a well earned rest, Mr. Omega

• Like 8

On 3/18/2022 at 10:46 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

This is by far in my top 5 favorite WCW moments. I remember it like it was yesterday still. It was pure brilliance.

Man, I loved Regal back then. I really shouldn't have... but he was so brilliant.

For the uninitiated...

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I know people are excited about the shape Bret seems to be in, but doesn't it make sense for Arn to end up with a face-leaning Revival since he barely has anything to do with Cody and Brandi gone?

That was my thought. Any time I see Bret I just see a dude who is old and doesn't want to be doing anything. At least Arn could be with the son he really loves.

• Like 1