DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

We did get Black trenchcoat/ baseball bat Shelton in OVW

No offense to Shelton, but that is just not close enough.

On another note, I've mainlined a bunch of Portland and '92 WCW SN and now I think that most free TV matches should be two-out-of-three falls. They offer so many variations that allow for finer gradations between main eventers, upper midcarders, midcarders who are on their way up, career midcarders, and jobbers. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The big Apter mag up and comer for my era of reading them definitely has to be Reckless Youth.

Edited 7 hours ago by Zakk_Sabbath
I also remember a big spotlight feature on Kevin Northcutt for some reason

I thought Northcutt would become a big star as well, 9 time NWA Texas Champ! Him and Lance Archer showing up in TNA around the same time, I figured they'd both go far. A shame. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My favorite WWF Magazine memory was the time the mom & pop store up the block from me would just ignore street dates and put the issue on sale as soon as they got it.  So I read a story about Zeus' heinous attack at the hands of Zeus on Saturday Night's Main Event on a Saturday morning, 14ish hours before it would air.

I see problems with that story beyond when it was released.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Stuff that leaps to mind from the old magazines in no particular order:

• The Crockett-era Road Warriors being ranked the #1 team in the world in PWI forever despite not holding a title
  • Magazines running their own storylines wherein they hand-wring over giving or taking away World Title recognition
  • Wrestling Superstars magazine's Dream Matches.  Hogan vs Tyson!  WWF vs NWA in a Battle of the Network Stars style competition!  A tag tournaemnt where the regular teams are mixed up and the final was Eaton/Morton vs Lane/Gibson!
  • Eddie Ellner's heel act.
  • Dr. Sydney M. Basil
  • Second tier mag (Wrestling Eye?  Main Event?) weirdness, like a story about how HTM made a deal with the spirits of the Mississippi Delta so he could keep the IC title.
  • Ads for Champions of the Galaxy wrestling card game.  Yeah, I bought that.
  • General anti-Hogan sentiment, in all their kayfabe stories, after Vince cut the Apter mags off

If you(or anyone) has the December 1990 issue of The Wrestler, my uncle Joseph Peklicz had a letter published calling out the babyface Rockers for their constant double-teaming. Trying to remember if the section in The Wrestler was called Sincerely Yours or Your Letters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Peck said:

If you(or anyone) has the December 1990 issue of The Wrestler, my uncle Joseph Peklicz had a letter published calling out the babyface Rockers for their constant double-teaming. Trying to remember if the section in The Wrestler was called Sincerely Yours or Your Letters.

Wait what?  Those letters were REAL?!?!  

• Like 2

I just saw the Steve Harvey, Kevin and JJ episode. Some of the corniest, silliest mess I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen alot of TV produced by Kevin Sullivan! And JJ Dillion was the kayfabe producer for alot of it. How freaking WCW of a thing is that, still living on. 

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I will again mention my favorite apter mag story: when someone (maybe Liz Hunter) went to Thief River Falls to try and figure out why Barry Darsow became Khrusher Khrushchev. 

Good choice. Personally  preferred Liz Hunter's visit to Stan Hanson's home in Brazos Valley. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Loved learning Stan owned his own island in Japan to raise kobe beef. 

Been at least 3 decades since I read those, but my favorite bit was Liz fending off  Stan with a can of Garbanzo beans. Wish I still felt that was all real. 

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

Wait what?  Those letters were REAL?!?!  

I also had a letter published in The Wrestler. Called Hulk Hogan a baby for saying that Tunney’s decision to not give him a rematch against The Warrior was “Gaga”. I probably referenced Bob Backlund, too. 

• Like 5

I loved the running gag in the Apter mags of Nikita Koloff constantly using "Legs in one casket" instead "eggs in one basket". I can think of at least 3interviews where it happened until I think it was Stu Saks cut him off after Nikita's babyface turn and was like "I know what he is gonna sayand I'm cutting him off at the pass"

James

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peck said:

THAT'S AWESOME.  Bonus points if he referred to them as "pandering twits."

• Like 2

PowerSlam Magazine was the biggest in the UK and printed some letters of mine. There was also a section covering wrestling board posts including our very own! My comment as The Crippler was printed when The Undertaker required surgery in May 2007. I said something like: "Mr Kennedy won't be able to cash in his MITB contract as The Undertaker's the Dead Man requiring no anaesthetic." Remember on the board "Wrestlers better than Shawn Michaels" by Dylan Waco and other posters? That made it as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

Is there any bigger dork in wrestling than Seth? From his cartoony performances and defense of his garbage booking to his just absurd amount of WWE bootlicking, I can't think of any wrestler who is less cool right now. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Dude seemed like a dork from the first time I saw Tyler Black he’s always been corny and lame. He really is a perfect WWE wrestler and I don’t really mean that to be insulting.

My dude literally took his name from characters in Fight Club and Harry Potter.  You couldn't be more on the nose if he called himself Edgelord McLarper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9