DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

They were always shitheads on and off the court.  Fuck the Jazz

Back in the day when they would talk about the "dirtiest players in the NBA" and the list would be a couple (or more, LOL) of Pistons players, Bill Cartwright and a few other guys, the guy whose name that would get whispered was John Stockton.  He should have gone to Duke with the way he did stuff.  King of the elbow to the groin on screens, tripping guys, and so on.  

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Back in the day when they would talk about the "dirtiest players in the NBA" and the list would be a couple (or more, LOL) of Pistons players, Bill Cartwright and a few other guys, the guy whose name that would get whispered was John Stockton.  He should have gone to Duke with the way he did stuff.  King of the elbow to the groin on screens, tripping guys, and so on.  

Why is it he dirtiest players always the softest punks?  Stockton and Malone.  Bitches.

That just makes me want to watch a compilation of dirty plays now. 

7 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Why is it he dirtiest players always the softest punks?  Stockton and Malone.  Bitches.

That just makes me want to watch a compilation of dirty plays now. 

In Bruce's defense, Wally's face is just kind of begging to be kicked. 

Edited by Tabe

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Malone is lucky he did that in 1991.

If it had been in like 87-89, Rick Mahorn might've ended his career.

Like legit ended his career. That would have been really, really ugly. 

33 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Like legit ended his career. That would have been really, really ugly. 

Yeah. Bill wasn't really an enforcer. Ricky was the killer.

Other than maybe Charles Oakley, I'm not sure there's another player in my lifetime who was more "you don't want to fuck with this guy" than Mahorn.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Log said:

I do miss the days of the NBA having "goons".

My partner and I were talking about this the other day.  He was of the opinion that the Bad Boys-era Pistons would beat the mid-10's Warriors because they'd just beat the fuck out of them.   My main objection to that was - which set of rules are you playing with?   

Because the rules as they currently are?  I think the Dubs win by 30+ every time.   Back then?  I'm not sure.  I think the modern Warriors win just because they're so, SO much faster than those guys (in addition to being just as physically strong).  But yeah, if Mahorn actually caught Curry, Steph would be having his meals through a straw for the rest of his life. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My partner and I were talking about this the other day.  He was of the opinion that the Bad Boys-era Pistons would beat the mid-10's Warriors because they'd just beat the fuck out of them.   My main objection to that was - which set of rules are you playing with?   

Because the rules as they currently are?  I think the Dubs win by 30+ every time.   Back then?  I'm not sure.  I think the modern Warriors win just because they're so, SO much faster than those guys (in addition to being just as physically strong).  But yeah, if Mahorn actually caught Curry, Steph would be having his meals through a straw for the rest of his life. 

I don't think there's any doubt that Detroit would lose to the Warriors under modern rules.  Under 1989 standards?  I can't see the Warriors winning.  Curry would get broken in half just from the standard "hard fouls" that were common back then - not even talking about clotheslines or anything like that.  The speed would be an issue but I think the depth and rugged style for the Pistons would end up winning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Young Rodman guarding KD would be fascinating though

Young Dennis was a freak of nature.  Could guard pretty much anybody.

• Like 1

Boston laying an ugly ass-whooping on Utah tonight.  That'll be 10 out of the last 11 including a win over Memphis, too, and a virtual tie with Milwaukee for 2nd in the East.  Their closing schedule is pretty brutal, though, with Indiana & Washington being the only non-playoff contenders in the last 8 - rematch with Memphis, and Chicago/Miami/Milwaukee in there, too.  Could easily drop all the way back to 4 or even 5 without a couple of good wins out of that closing set.  Gonna be interesting to see how the East shakes out. 

But hey, I get to laugh at Brooklyn no matter what.

Edited by Contentious C

On 3/5/2022 at 11:57 AM, hammerva said:

No idea where WNBA goes but this is pretty bad news.  Apparently this was an issue in February that just conveniently now is a huge problem .  Which unfortunately tells you how fucking little we care about women's sports that someone has been stuck in Russia for almost a month and we now heard about this

US State Dept officials have finally gotten to meet face to face with Griner.  She's being held "with two other detainees" and she's in "as good a spirit as possible."  Her detention has been extended to mid-May, and she faces up to 10 years in prison for possession of hashish oil cartridges.  

Both the Celtics and Sixers are refusing to say if their teams are fully vaccinated (which means they aren't)

The reason this is now a talking point since both are teams that could possibly play Toronto in the 1st round of the playoffs and Canada requires everyone to be vaccinated to play.

The Heat and the Bucks are two other potential opponents and both confirmed that their teams were fully vaccinated.

The Celtics just played in Toronto on Monday and had 4 players out due to various reasons - 2 of them, Jaylen Brown and Al Horford, appear to be unvaccinated

• Like 1