DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Kyrie just scored 41 points in the first half

Irving, 29, set a variety of records with the outburst in the first half. It was the highest scoring half of his career and the highest scoring half for any player all season. The last player to score as many as Irving was Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker who scored 51 points in the second half of a March 24, 2017 game against the Boston Celtics. Booker finished that game with 70 points.

Irving's 41 points was also the most one player has ever scored in one half against the Magic in franchise history. The Nets' 86 points are a franchise record for most in any half and it is most the Magic have ever given up in one half in franchise history.

The Magic scored 56 points in the 1st half and were losing by 30

Kyrie ended with 60. He left the game with 8 minutes to go and the Nets won by 42.

It's the first time in NBA history that two teammates scored 50+ in consecutive games. 

Lot of big scoring nights recently.

Also, while I think Kyrie is a dumbass and should've just gotten vaccinated months ago, I think I'm on his side in regards to it being utterly insane that he's not allowed to play in home games, or sit on the bench, but he can be in the stands unvaccinated and unmasked. If the mandate no longer applies to the packed crowd, it's pretty silly to apply it to the players (and I know it applies to them because they are at work, but it doesn't really make any logical sense anymore.)

• Like 2

Donnie Nelson is suing the Mavericks, claiming he was fired in retaliation for not covering up his nephew being sexually assaulted during an interview with the team. The Mavericks say Donnie is making it all up to extort the team out of $100m.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33539178/dallas-mavericks-response-lawsuit-accuse-ex-gm-donnie-nelson-scheme-extort-much-100-million

Lebron passed Malone for second all-time in regular season points.

Is there any player ever with a bigger gap between how good his career stats say he was, and where people generally rate him all-time than The Mailman?

55 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is there any player ever with a bigger gap between how good his career stats say he was, and where people generally rate him all-time than The Mailman?

Maybe Bill Russell or Bill Walton. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Russell is definitely a good call. In the exact opposite direction of Malone.

Walton in the opposite direction, too. He routinely shows up on 50 greatest lists and the like but: started 60 games in a season ONCE, played just 468 total, never had a season of 19+ points a game, and finished at just 13.3 for his career. Even if he WAS that good, the stats sure don't show it. 

Edited by Tabe

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Emmitt Smith was the first person I thought of. Does anyone really consider him a top five RB of all time? Durability and an all-time great o line put him in the record books...

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

Walton in the opposite direction, too. He routinely shows up on 50 greatest lists and the like but: started 60 games in a season ONCE, played just 468 total, never had a season of 19+ points a game, and finished at just 13.3 for his career. Even if he WAS that good, the stats sure don't show it. 

With Walton at least there's usually a lot of "... If he hadn't gotten hurt so much" qualifying.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

With Walton at least there's usually a lot of "... If he hadn't gotten hurt so much" qualifying.

Oh, definitely. But, even when healthy, he didn't put up eye-popping numbers. Even in college, he averaged 20/15 and his numbers actually dropped as he got older. 

Jamal Crawford has officially announced his retirement from basketball.  Kinda thought he had retired already since he's been calling games on league pass, but was apparently still trying to catch on with a contender.

The Blazers announced that Lillard will miss the rest of the season.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:33 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Mailman sucked.  All he could do is flop and take 45 minutes to shoot free throws.  And he is a grade a horrible person.  Fuck him.

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Mailman sucked.  All he could do is flop and take 45 minutes to shoot free throws.  And he is a grade a horrible person.  Fuck him.

This is the second time this week I've heard someone call Malone a horrible person.  Some light digging shows me that he fathered children that he abandoned.  Is there more than that?  Not saying that's not bad enough to warrant your comment, I'm just wondering if there's more.

2 minutes ago, Log said:

This is the second time this week I've heard someone call Malone a horrible person.  Some light digging shows me that he fathered children that he abandoned.  Is there more than that?  Not saying that's not bad enough to warrant your comment, I'm just wondering if there's more.

When he was in college and twenty years old he knocked up a 13 year old girl.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

Man, I used to wish that he and Stockton had at least won one ring in between Bulls championships, but they're both proving to be grade-A shitheads.

They were always shitheads on and off the court.  Fuck the Jazz

• Haha 1