DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 2/25/2022

Well...

Apparently if we complain on here about not being satisfied with what we're getting, it might very well lead to us getting something very very good indeed (Like for example Dragon vs Garcia). 

Soooooo...

Sammy Guevara(c) vs Andrade El Idolo – AEW TNT Championship Match

They've built to this really well and it should be really good, but...

uh...

probably just gonna be a bunch of AHO shenanigans! Give us more!

Serena Deeb 5 minute challenge

uh... Less than 5 minutes of Deeb, presumably? Give us more!

Orange Cassidy vs Anthony Bowens – Face of the Revolution Qualifier

Pretty easy to see what either of these guys would bring to the ladder match, entertainment and excitement-wise but... how about some big guys slapping meat or something?

Thunder Rosa and AEW Women’s Champion Doctor Britt Baker DMD Contract Signing Segment

The whole build here has been fun, and I'm looking forward to Mercedes running in for the save here... but that's only three matches! Booo! We demand a big men clubbering beefy type hoss fight, too!

Let's see how that works. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I wish Rampage was live like this every week. Only way the system works.

"The February 25 edition of AEW Rampage was taped on Wednesday night at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT."

We're not live pal. (Sid would have been pumped to hear that).

• Like 1

You know when you have a 90 minute show to watch, but you only have 60 minutes in which to watch it, so you skip past all the ring entrances and unnecessary fripperies? That was this show. Packed fit to burst.

• Like 7

BEST RAMPAGE EVER!  Maaaaan, Sammy Guevara and Andrade need to feud every week on Rampage forever.  That was fucking awesome.  I loved the Latin Macho Swagger Off to start.  That was so great.  So Andrade is the best wrestler in AEW?  I can't believe how good the Wardlow/Nick Comoroto hoss battle was.  All it needed was Jim Ross freaking out over it.   Anthony Bowen was awesome whipping out a batch of Ckris Kanyon-esque finishers.  And then Danhausen!  YAY! AEW RULES!

• Like 11

Really really good fast athletic guy vs fast athletic guy match.

Really really really (almost surprisingly) good big strong guy vs big strong guy match.

Goofy shooty stuff from the Canadian guy ? but Wardlow's deadpan reactions are always great.

Deeb being nasty.

Nice classic pro wrestling title match set-up (and I think the women's title is the one most likely to change hands at the PPV (followed by, maybe, the tag titles) and I think Rosa would be a great champ).

Ladder match qualifier was non-stop fun from the Henry pre-match interview on. 

A guy I know who was at the show said, a few days ago in a group wrestling chat, "Gordi's gonna love Rampage!" My friend asked him if he meant that (Orange vs Bowens) was an Osaka Pro style comedy match and he said I'd like that one (which I totally did) but that there was also a big man match that he thought would be exactly my cup of tea. 

Yep. 

Plus the Rampage preview I found on Thursday didn't list that match, so I didn't even know it would be Wardlow vs Comoroto until I read Andy from Kansas' post this morning, and marked right out.

Week in, week out, we keep getting stuff like Danielson vs Garcia and Wardlow vs Comoroto, and, like, according to the guy I know who was at the show: Leyla Hirsch vs Willow Nightingale and Archer vs Fuego... we don't even have to ask for it.  

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There was a lot to love and some other parts.

Opener was hot and what I like about AEW is that Andrade can lose clean, feud with Matt Hardy, and still be a contender. Having Kassidy in the background is going to lead somewhere.

Wardlow-Comoroto was unexpectedly amazing, like who woulda thunk that would be a hard fought, evenly matched hoss fight?  I loved this match and what happened after. And was that crowd hotter than Dynamite?

I said it before but the Deeb challenge has to happen on tape because it’s not over live at all. This can’t go past the PPV, no matter how much we might like it here. I’m with everyone else wondering who is going to be The One.

Caster’s rap was not up to standards and yet it had the Danhausen foreshadow. I love Bowens and I wanted him to fully go over. Someday I’ll get to see him win a big singles, or see The Acclaimed win a big tag. I don’t know, this might have been a time for a flash pin or a cheat pin,

I’m forgetting stuff but Friday is a drunk night. I’m working out of town Monday through Saturday next week so I’ll have per diem to buy the PPV guilt free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

This show was so, so good. Fantastic hoss match and the Acclaimed and OC/Yuta/Danhausen brought the pure joy that is my favorite thing about AEW. 

And, of course, this incredible piece of business right here:

QT response:

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

@JLowepretty much summed up my thoughts. I know OC is over but he could've eaten the pin here, to me the nature of his gimmick means that losses don't hurt him as much as someone going hammer and tongs to win all the time but coming up short. 

Felt that way about his Hobbs match too. 

Fun show that’s always extremely fast paced in a good way.

TNT title match was crazy as expected with these two guys and luckily they kept the AHFO fuckery to a minimum. That ending cutter looked BRUTAL for both guys, I’m surprised they didn’t replay it because it looked liked it killed them.

The HOSS match was unexpectedly awesome and hard hitting. I loved the slight hint of “uncooperation” on some moves which makes it look like a proper fight “WE HAVE A SHOOT HERE TAZ!”. Awesome little match and made Comoroto look great in defeat. Wardlow looked proper pissed that Spears hit his hand with the chair.

I don’t know why but I can’t help but smile ear to ear whenever Hook comes out (I’m marking out bro). It’s a combo of the crowd reaction, the joy in Taz’s voice at his superstar son and the motherfucker just being so cool. He keeps being presented nearly perfectly. Put the TNT Title on him NOW and let’s see what happens.

Main event was silly and fun and the curse keeps being one of the best interference  tactics at the moment. Did Yuta just disappeared from ringside mid match or did I miss something?

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

Andrade vs Sammy: Undeniably good sprint here. AEW has some production issues you'd never get out of WWE. Excalibur shouldn't be doing copy when Sammy and Andrade are doing the dual poses in the ropes. That's an iconic moment and it needs to be milked and allowed to breathe. I don't blame Excalibur but sometimes those small moments are the most important ones. This felt like a really big win for Sammy, more so than the Neses and Lethals of the world. Andrade's physical charisma in his reactions is just amazing. He's able to sneak compelling reactions in usually when he only has seconds to react. Sammy makes everything look easy. Kassidy is such a great hype man on the outside. He's a massive, massive Sting fan too, so this has got to be him living the dream. This wasn't my favorite sort of match but it was very good for what it was.

Wardlow vs Comoroto: Hope you guys saw the int'l feed since the brunt of this one was during the commercial, including Jericho comparing Comoroto to Ron Reese, the Yeti ("The internet will love that one."). Wardlow is 34. He's been wrestling since 2014 but only has 134 matches on Cagematch. I have to think that misses a bunch of local indy matches though. Still, it's not a ton of matches for a guy whose instincts here were so good. This really walked the balance perfectly of presenting Comoroto as a threat but presenting Wardlow as a force, as someone that the fans should get behind. He gets knocked down and he kips up. He eats some offense but he's scrapping and trying to get back into it by working for a takedown or even for a triangle! He kicks out definitively. He takes advantage of Comoroto's arrogance on the one-handed press attempt and then hits him with basically a one handed chokeslam of his own. He counters Comoroto's finisher with a shot to the ribs while in midair. We haven't had to see him work from underneath much and I thought he was excellent here, not necessarily in providing the best star rating match, but in presenting himself as a star while still acknowledging Comoroto as a threat. Sometimes the right performance isn't the "best" performance, which isn't to say this wasn't a very good one, because it was. MJF vs Wardlow, when it happens, is probably going to be excellent. That's what this match showed me.

Deeb challenge: Argh, that hold in the corner.

Bowens vs Cassidy: Good early stuff with Yuta timing his shot perfectly and then getting taken out by the chain. Bowens really looks like he belongs in there with guys higher on the card at this point and I liked his control through the commercial. He kept it moving and interesting. We almost had another copy talk moment over the great hope spot starter with Cassidy doing the Acclaimed handshake thing with Bowens in the corner. Max being active when Yuta wasn't led to the foot grab cut off and the weird spinout move by Bowens. Bowens has a lot of goofy moves but they're not overly collaborative and they sort of fit his character so I'm ok with it for now. I liked the Danhausen use at the end. I was expecting Yuta to recover and this worked even better in protecting the Acclaimed in the loss. Nice, straightforward match to balance out the night's card.

Good show.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excalibur's 'doing copy' spots often work against the action - especially on the taped Rampage.  Fault finger pointed at AEW production.  They could very easily edit it in over a lesser moment. 

Wardlow-Comoroto was indeed a lot fun.  Comoroto is slowly getting better each week as evidenced on the youtube.  I agree they kept Nick pretty strong until that silly foot finish.  I'm not at all into Wardlow pinning guys with the foot.  I think that should be saved for moments like Malakai running over Rhodes.    

Jericho is so hit and miss on commentary.  Too often he doesn't let moments breathe - like explaining to Taz how awesome it will be to hear Orange rap.  Let it happen naturally, Lionheart.  It reminds me of WWF's insistence on selling comedy with fake laughs (tho, Vince was hilarious at it - especially when it involved the country boys).  Post production could be a great assistance for Jericho's never ending blabbering.  The match definitely showcased the emerging Bowens, and I look forward to that first big win.  The comedy felt a bit forced and better served on an indie show with 50 people, but loved Orange's fire in the latter portion.  Things came together in that AEW fun way.  

Do I sense some seeds of sepration being planted with the MOTY?  Is Ethan readying a North-ern reunion with his free agent pal Josh?  Let's get him that visa already.  There is never enough great teams.  When has a company ever been so flush with this many great tag teams.  All Japan in the 90s?

Small criticisms aside, another terrific 'Power Hour'.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I wish commentary took example from PGA broadcasts.  Keep quiet and let the action speak until there's reason to raise a voice.  Without any understanding of the language, I've long felt Japanese commentary worked or works this way.  And why I always choose the Japanese team over say Kevin Kelly and partner.