DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Fucking hope so.  At this point Vince is one dumb move from death at his age.  And you can't convince Vince to play it safe.  I mean this the guy taking shoot headbutt 3 years ago and showing Gronk how to fall 15 feet 2 years ago

Last time Vince had a match was back in 2010. Now he is 76, way too old now for the ring. If he has to be in the ring, then tag match and not doing much at all.

On 2/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Vince being "forced" to put Bryan over at WMXXX was an "okay, but if this doesn't work then don't ever try that shit with me again" 

And what happened? Well you can look at it two ways. Was Kane an ok feud for Bryan or was it putting Bryan in a bad position to start? 

Guess it doesn't matter because Bryan got hurt anyway. 

From that point on guys like Bryan and even AJ Styles or Kofi got some burn at the top or near the top but the title is not necessarily the "top" .. it's not worth more than the old Being John Cena part of the card. 

Brock and Roman are probably the only two who have really in Vince's mind surpassed the title and are in the John Cena role, or the Triple H role before that or Stone Cold and The Rock before that or Hulk Hogan before that. 

Also, from what I've read and heard, Bryan was going to get the Suplex City treatment that Cena got if he (Bryan) didn't get injured.

• Like 2

The craziest part is that if Bryan didn't have to leave due to injury and did get the Suplex City treatment at SummerSlam, it is very, very possible that he would've become an even more over underdog babyface.

Considering Vince would've still been pushing for Reigns to be the next top guy, that would've caused Reigns to be even less popular in the build-up to WrestleMania XXXI. As it happened, Bryan returned but got eliminated at the Rumble that year and then lost to Reigns at Fastlane and, between the time off and the respectable loss to Reigns (plus the emergence of Rollins and Ambrose as main event-caliber singles guys), that was enough to cool Bryan off a bit. Plus it was widely accepted then that Bryan's health was questionable, which made it easier for fans to begrudgingly accept that he likely couldn't be given the top spot anymore as he was wrestling on what was perceived as borrowed time. 

16 hours ago, DMJ said:

The craziest part is that if Bryan didn't have to leave due to injury and did get the Suplex City treatment at SummerSlam, it is very, very possible that he would've become an even more over underdog babyface.

Considering Vince would've still been pushing for Reigns to be the next top guy, that would've caused Reigns to be even less popular in the build-up to WrestleMania XXXI. As it happened, Bryan returned but got eliminated at the Rumble that year and then lost to Reigns at Fastlane and, between the time off and the respectable loss to Reigns (plus the emergence of Rollins and Ambrose as main event-caliber singles guys), that was enough to cool Bryan off a bit. Plus it was widely accepted then that Bryan's health was questionable, which made it easier for fans to begrudgingly accept that he likely couldn't be given the top spot anymore as he was wrestling on what was perceived as borrowed time. 

Yeah I get the feeling that would've backfired on them in the worst way. When it happened to Cena, it really cemented Brock as the dominant guy and monster. If it would've happened to Bryan, I feel like the fans would've reacted with, "well here we go again with the B+ player bullshit" and turned on it. Instead of Brock chucking around another Superman type in Cena, he'd have been smashing the everyman that fans identified with and had just gone on a hero's journey with. The fanbase would've taken that as another shot at them from the promotion.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:29 AM, cwoy2j said:

Also, from what I've read and heard, Bryan was going to get the Suplex City treatment that Cena got if he (Bryan) didn't get injured.

On 2/27/2022 at 12:41 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

That could very well be the case. Happy that Cena got that treatment and not Bryan...  better story that way too.

12 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Yeah I get the feeling that would've backfired on them in the worst way. When it happened to Cena, it really cemented Brock as the dominant guy and monster. If it would've happened to Bryan, I feel like the fans would've reacted with, "well here we go again with the B+ player bullshit" and turned on it. Instead of Brock chucking around another Superman type in Cena, he'd have been smashing the everyman that fans identified with and had just gone on a hero's journey with. The fanbase would've taken that as another shot at them from the promotion.

Yeah, Bryan dodged a bullet, the fans would be pissed off and we got Bryan/Lesnar as a dream match at Survivor Series 2018 than a squash. I'd change two things about the Survivor Series match, Brock was too dominant at the start, that needed trimming down including the visual pitfalls as Lesnar picked him up and Bryan should have won.

"Unification match"

WWE Champion Brock Lesnar and Universal Champion Roman Reigns are set to face off in a winner-take-all championship unification match at WrestleMania 38 -- but it doesn't appear that WWE will only have one men's World Champion for long. Meltzer noted on Observer Radio that he's been told WWE does not believe it is "feasible in the modern environment" to have one World Champion for both Raw and SmackDown.

"The deal here is that it is a unification match. From what I am told, it's the same idea as the last time they unified the titles. Remember like 20 years ago, 18 years ago, when they did and then like a week later they just handed a belt to Triple H?," Meltzer said.

Because the audience loved when they just handed Triple H a title back in 2002? It's been 20 years, what's old is new again.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:06 PM, Eivion said:

I don't think the rumored Austin/Owens match is even worth considering until we see actual signs it in the cards. Its much more likely Owens just gets destroyed by various Texas guys including Austin.

Charlotte/Ronda will main event night 1 and Roman/Brock night 2 because its just easy and sensible at this point to have the Royal Rumble winners take each night. Unless that Austin/Owens match actually happens there is no reason to think otherwise as they have nothing bigger than the current matches at the moment.

It's going to be Terry Funk kicking the shit out of Kevin all while screaming "Fight Forever Fight Forever"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

that's not to say they won't organize a tournament to crown a champion. doesn't have to be a handover thing.

True. In 2016 they only handed Seth a spot into the finals, not the title. Super weird structure. One side dude just gets in for free. The other bracket is two four ways, then Balor over Reigns. I guess Vince is so tournament adverse he refused to do a straight up bracket there.

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

it certainly does feel like unifying the titles is already rendered moot when you know that it won't "stick".

Yes. That was my main point. Why do it at all if you know you don't want to do it? Typical Vince booking. Throw shit around and figure your way back out of it in a few weeks because you didn't really want to make any product changes. I do wonder if they bring back the world heavyweight title here. Like if they just put a new belt on tv with that same wwe / universal design and call it champion of the galaxy that's gonna be shit on so hard. Not to mention very easy to see through. You have to at least make some kinda change. Sure there's two belts still but they have different designs again. Good shit pal.

Per the new WON - the women's battle royal is planned for Mania, however the Andre is planned for one of the two TV shows leading up to Mania (Most likely the Smackdown on 4/1)

Man. Cody's been taken off the books for 'Mania. There's word coming out that Steve Austin hasn't agreed to come back. I can't think of any other Texans to plug in that spot of Kevin Owens talking shit about Texas. 

8 minutes ago, just drew said:

Man. Cody's been taken off the books for 'Mania. There's word coming out that Steve Austin hasn't agreed to come back. I can't think of any other Texans to plug in that spot of Kevin Owens talking shit about Texas. 

Booker T comes to mind.

• Like 1