DVDVR Message Board

R-Evolution III - 3/6/2022

I always wonder why people complain about a 4 hour show as that seems like the perfect length to me. But I never actually considered that it's because I'm out west and so the show runs from 6-10, whereas most of you are ET.

God knows how I did it back in the day on the other side of the pond and then still went to class the next day.

My dumbass thoughts on CM Punk's entrance having never seen any of his ROH stuff - 

Is this The Terminator music? Kinda sounds like Terminator. Well, an AEW knockoff version at least. Holy shit, is he gonna come out dressed as the Terminator like HHH that one time? Holy shit. Oh, no wait... he's just wearing baggy shorts and a hoodie. That's lame.

Did not get the significance of any of that until I saw the crowd kinda singing along and Excalibur explaining that it was a throwback ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Swift said:

My dumbass thoughts on CM Punk's entrance having never seen any of his ROH stuff - 

Is this The Terminator music? Kinda sounds like Terminator. Well, an AEW knockoff version at least. Holy shit, is he gonna come out dressed as the Terminator like HHH that one time? Holy shit. Oh, no wait... he's just wearing baggy shorts and a hoodie. That's lame.

Did not get the significance of any of that until I saw the crowd kinda singing along and Excalibur explaining that it was a throwback ?

It was certainly a risk on AEW's part because if people didn't pick up on it then it would have gone over like a fart in church.
I absolutely lost my shit though. Was an incredible moment and it made sense from a character POV because it got in MJF's head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

bryan-danielson-jon-moxley.gif

The change in dynamic when Regal got in there was amazing. Here you have these two ultimate wrestling badasses who suddenly feel like kids when the legendary master appears. Loved it.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 11

21 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Too much content for your money? That's a new one to complain about. 

I don't think anybody is complaining, but rather bringing up valid issues that have been addressed before. Nobody here is saying "GIMME LESS RASSLIN!"

We're just asking for a piss break and a breather from the 5 hour cocaine trip we're on. That's a GOOD problem to have.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I don't think anybody is complaining, but rather bringing up valid issues that have been addressed before. Nobody here is saying "GIMME LESS RASSLIN!"

We're just asking for a piss break and a breather from the 5 hour cocaine trip we're on. That's a GOOD problem to have.

I know - Tongue in cheek for me. I knew going into the PPV that it had a chance to exhaust the fans. Frankly the latest WWE PPVs have had the opposite problem - I have Peacock and I just will not watch them. 

Excited for Regal. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert said:

Britt & especially Rosa are not capable of doing what they try to do every time. Rosa got into the game late in her career & was dogshit. Ask anyone who went to those LU tapings. She deserves all the credit in the world for turning herself into a passable wrestler but that's her level. She's passable. That is her bar. But then she goes out there trying to do an athletic match that is way beyond her abilities & we see the same results every time. Britt is no help. You remember the reaction Britt/Tay got on the last PPV? That would have been the reaction here if not for the fact Thunder is over & people are afraid to boo her or she'll pull out the same card she did at Warrior Wrestling when she had an absolute stinker & the crowd let her know.

A lot of the AEW women are at a perfectly acceptable level where they can go and get by doing 6-8 minutes... maybe 10-12 at most for certain people. Nothing wrong with that. But every time it's always the same. They want to do their "epic" match & prove everyone wrong. Every time, they fail. The only time they succeeded was the smoke & mirrors match that was taped which allowed for editing.

The AEW women's division can be successful if it accepts what it is. Eventually more (better) women will hopefully come along & maybe then it can evolve. The AEW women's division will never be successful if it stays the way it is now with most of the women trying to prove themselves to be what they're not every time out & getting rewarded for every mediocore match by Twitter comments saying "yaaaaaas queens best match of all time" from accounts that troll AEW daily about having more women's matches.

An off night between Rosa and Britt is not enough to indict an entire division that has regularly been a show highlight for months for many.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

Especially when a guy like Hashimoto or Mutoh came into a big match with a beard...they were training, son!

I think you underestimate how influential Rocky IV was to Gen X. Not only did it (temporarily) stop the Cold War, but it also influenced an entire generation of wrestlers in match buildup psychology. 

• Like 5

Regal is one of the Best inring Wrestlers ever but he's just as good as a non Wrestler. He's probably the best on screen authority figure ever as overdone as that role is in Wrestling, he does it so well as heel or face. AEW choosing to avoid that trope is definitely good for them so Regal as a manager potentially should be dope, especially Managing Mox and Bryan seemingly. Too guys that least need managers but the background makes sense.

Watching Punk get emotional during the media scrum was something for sure. I've been saying Punk has been coming across as a guy that tried to hard to come across like he hated wrestling so much and wanted nothing to do with it for years. I'm not saying he didn't have any bitterness towards wrestling and obviously more specifically WWE but he just seemed to force to fans too much that he hated wrestling that I rolled my eyes for years so to see him in genuine tears was touching to me. I don't believe he hated wrestling as much as he tried to put off all those years. I'm a mark for CM Punk living in the spirit of guys like Harley Race,  Piper, Funk and Bret. Really carrying the cross of those 70s and 80s guys and bringing that spirit to this new era. Punk loves wrestling, I think even after he came back he was still kinda holding back embracing his love for Wrestling but now he's showing it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Too much content for your money? That's a new one to complain about. 

You joke lol but it's a real thing. I love pizza. But eating 15 pizzas back to back isn't automatically a good thing, even if you only have to pay for one.

I'm going to keep buying regardless because they keep delivering. The events would stand out more if it wasn't one long blur of 5 hours of action. I have a hard time remembering what happened where for AEW PPVs. And it should be a lot easier with only 4 PPVs a year.

This is a first world problem obviously. Just think tweaking the amount of matches or length of some of them would benefit the over all enjoyment. A little editing is all I'm suggesting.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

You joke lol but it's a real thing. I love pizza. But eating 15 pizzas back to back isn't automatically a good thing, even if you only have to pay for one.

I'm going to keep buying regardless because they keep delivering. The events would stand out more if it wasn't one long blur of 5 hours of action. I have a hard time remembering what happened where for AEW PPVs. And it should be a lot easier with only 4 PPVs a year.

This is a first world problem obviously. Just think tweaking the amount of matches or length of some of them would benefit the over all enjoyment. A little editing is all I'm suggesting.

Love the analogy on Pizzas (or ice cream!). Seriously AEW could do a 2 night PPV at this point using last night's card. FTR vs LAX would have been a great match and neither one is on the card.

Still glad to have an alternative to watch that is more than one man's vision. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Watching Punk get emotional during the media scrum was something for sure. I've been saying Punk has been coming across as a guy that tried to hard to come across like he hated wrestling so much and wanted nothing to do with it for years. I'm not saying he didn't have any bitterness towards wrestling and obviously more specifically WWE but he just seemed to force to fans too much that he hated wrestling that I rolled my eyes for years so to see him in genuine tears was touching to me. I don't believe he hated wrestling as much as he tried to put off all those years. I'm a mark for CM Punk living in the spirit of guys like Harley Race,  Piper, Funk and Bret. Really carrying the cross of those 70s and 80s guys and bringing that spirit to this new era. Punk loves wrestling, I think even after he came back he was still kinda holding back embracing his love for Wrestling but now he's showing it.

For as much as Punk showed bitterness over the years and was over it I always felt at its core he was deeply hurt and offended by it all.  He was definitely a prick at times which I'm not excusing but hurt people react in different ways.  But I agree that wrestling was always a part of him and his return has healed him in ways that have led to him being okay with getting emotional in the press conference.  I'm incredibly happy for him.

As for the show I paid attention to what I could last night but it as usual was fun background noise while we had a good ol' drunken time.  We laughed heartily at the ladder match and lost our damn minds for Regal and Punk's old theme.  But since my wife wasn't there I caught the first half again which was up to Punk/MJF.  Nothing of note to add for Kingston/Jericho which ruled so fucking hard.  And the tag title and ladder matches were still pretty fun to watch.  Jade/Tay sure did lead to the guys in the room having to settle down and...well...okay that didn't change there.  But the match was really good and they had me believe at one point Tay was going to win.  The Jade cosplay and guitar entrance were ten stars.

The match that stood out the most so far was Punk/MJF.  When Punk came out to AFI I had to run to the kitchen to silently flip the fuck out.  Just wonderfully, wonderfully surreal seeing that again.  I do wish MJF bled a bit more but paying attention to it tonight it was such a damn good match.  I know I had issues with MJF as a heel but looking back it was mainly because he was one-dimensional with this feud showing that he's capable of so much more.  He also reminded me a lot of old ROH shithead Punk which made sense given the match.  Dare I say this match was a sort of graduation from stage one to stage two of a hopefully legendary AEW career.

• Like 3

A little late to the party, but I pretty much cried when I heard about/saw Regal's appearance. It's really hard to explain how much the potential of this trio has forming has made me so very, very happy. The last time I felt this way was when The Nexus formed.

We're also 4/5ths of the way to achieving this: (I'll accept Mox as a fill-in for Finlay)
https://i.ibb.co/9v8BfLL/Team-Regal.jpg

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

FNTDF0MWYAw4f7b?format=jpg&name=small

That's just unnecessary. So the dude didn't follow Punk's career fifteen years ago. That means he doesn't understand storytelling and/or has no brain?

EDIT: Looks like Punk deleted that comment. Better than leaving it, at least.

Edited by Cristobal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AxB said:

When Punk did the Won’t you be my Valentine promo, the collars he had with him were studded black leather. The collars on the PPV were plain brown leather. So if we assume that they wanted to have the PPV collars on TV but they weren’t ready yet, who do you think they borrowed the BDSM ones off?

Basham Brothers/Shaniqua.