DVDVR Message Board

R-Evolution III - 3/6/2022

On 2/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, Jiji said:

The story was pointing to a TNT title match between three of the better wrestlers on the roster. While I think the tornado tag will be fun, there are no stakes, and it feels thrown together. It'll probably also be like calm down match after one of the other big matches because of that.

The story now is about the Hardy/Andrade dissolution and probably Jeff ultimately coming in, combined with Kassidy getting spotlighted now that he has Andrade as more of a mentor than just Matt and Andrade screwing around with Darby. If anything, Sammy seems shoehorned in there, but it all came together in a logical way with Kassidy getting the shot at Sammy.

It's an AEW story. It evolves. Maybe that's a good thing and maybe not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Why is this thing on a Sunday instead of a Saturday again?

Indeed.  Also… Why isn’t this thing available to order on PlayStation when PPVs have been available at least couple of times in the past?  Same with the SLING app. 

Edited by Brandon Bones

Yeah, much prefer the Saturday PPVs.  Sunday night means Monday morning viewing for me.  Expectations r high for the top bouts, but keeping in check for Rosa-Baker.  It's a testament to how great both have built up their characters that there seems to be some smoke n' mirrors on their actual in ring work.  Not to say both aren't very capable, but neither is consistent.  I'm hoping for the best, but, again not expecting excellence.  I also hope the scramble bullshit ladder thing works better than most have.  I hate multi-man ladder matches as much as anything AEW does.  And why on earth would anybody need to earn a TV title shot?  There's no rankings and seems to be pretty routinely an open challenge.  Or wait, does that silly Sonic coin earn a potential World title bout?  I do have lofty expectations for Eddie pulling a big match out of Lionheart.  I don't think Jericho needs a win here for a 'televised' Hangman title match.  I have very little doubt in Kingston going over here, but that wee little bit is enough.  And enough for ppl on here to be nervous - which is great!  I wish I had a bit more doubt about Hangman winning.  Very much an Adam Cole fan, but see little chance of him winning.  Can somebody please convince me otherwise?  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I think this is the first Sunday PPV not followed up by a holiday, correct? They normally only do the Sunday PPVs if the majority of people have off the following Monday, like for Labor Day & Memorial Day. I wonder why they went with a Sunday this time. Pure guess but there's probably something scheduling-wise making them need to do a Sunday. Like the building they wanted wasn't free Saturday? Or something necessary for Tony's duties with The Jags taking up his Saturday or something?

In reality I think the true reason they do Sunday ppvs when they do them has nothing to do with holidays. I feel like TK would do Sunday PPVs every time if they don't conflict with the NFL. While the holiday reasoning makes sense, it's funny that the Sundays they do run PPVs just happen to be the Sundays during football's off season.

• Like 2

I also prefer Saturday PPVs which go into Sunday morning UK time than Sunday going into Monday morning for me. I'm cool with it here for the reasons I gave earlier.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm really not looking forward to watching this show with the crushing anxiety of my job looming in the back of my mind. It is what it is, but I live for the Saturday PPVs. I like to make a whole thing out of it with cooking all day and having a few cocktails. I actually thought Punk got the day wrong in his promo that week, until they put up the graphic later in the show.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Here’s to Miro showing up and wrecking Hangman’s shit after the main event to close the show 

I like your idea a lot, but narratively speaking, I'd like him to seek revenge on Sammy and have another TNT title reign. Hangman's got some life left in his reign, and I don't think it would necessarily be wise to immediately beat Miro after his big comeback.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Big Z said:

I agree that there is a potential story for Hangman getting his revenge on Jericho, but that's not a PPV level match anymore (more like a Dynamite/Rampage/Battle of the Belts).

I know a lot of people on this board have soured on Jericho, but based on the crowd responses he gets he seems to still be pretty over and seen as a big star. I think it can easily be a PPV main event.

12 hours ago, Big Z said:

Also, while Kingston's popularity has been teflon despite losing his last four PPV matches, now is the time for him to get a big win (and with the build for this match being that Eddie cannot win the big one, you cannot then make it a self-fulfilling prophecy).

I think there's more narrative potential in having Jericho seemingly be proven right about Kingston than there is in Kingston winning here. Kingston finally winning the big one later will have more impact.

12 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think this is the first Sunday PPV not followed up by a holiday, correct? They normally only do the Sunday PPVs if the majority of people have off the following Monday, like for Labor Day & Memorial Day. I wonder why they went with a Sunday this time. Pure guess but there's probably something scheduling-wise making them need to do a Sunday. Like the building they wanted wasn't free Saturday? Or something necessary for Tony's duties with The Jags taking up his Saturday or something?

In reality I think the true reason they do Sunday ppvs when they do them has nothing to do with holidays. I feel like TK would do Sunday PPVs every time if they don't conflict with the NFL. While the holiday reasoning makes sense, it's funny that the Sundays they do run PPVs just happen to be the Sundays during football's off season.

I assumed it was not running the same night as a UFC PPV, since that came up last time with moving the original Full Gear date in November. 

• Like 3

I'm right there with you all on Cole, but for some reason, I have this feeling that the title match is going to be way better than I'm expecting.

I have a good feeling about Kingston/Jericho, too. It's most-likely going to be a brawl and that suits current Jericho much better. I know there's a lot of talk about how Eddie "must win".  I still think he can take a loss here if it's done well and there's a follow-up to it.  

And I still think the matches @The Naturalmentioned will be amazing, so really, stacked show!

• Like 2

Does Adam Page have disappointing matches? I feel like he always delivers when it matters even if builds aren't great. Jake Roberts cucked him hard with the "shut up, little boy" line and then Page went on to have a remarkable match with a cold Archer. I think it's time we start paying the man some more respect. Think the crowd will be absolutely done by that point as is the case with all aew ppv marathons but they'll still get whatever is left out of the crowd. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Does Adam Page have disappointing matches?

I wish he had more low and mid-level offense. Everything he does feels like it starts from too high a point which makes it hard for him to escalate as the match goes on. 

• Like 1

Yeah - the handwringing over Cole and Page is silly. I mean, Punk and MJF is obviously the "real" main event of the this show. It's a gimmick match for a blood feud and Punk is the biggest star in the company. Danielson and Mox are two global wrestling superstars having a match for the first time in years. It's not nearly the insult people say it is if they see the title match as having the third most interest. But, as noted above, when does Page not deliver in a big match? Adam Cole, and everyone's mileage varies, has generally had well-regarded main events for years in a lotta places, even if the matches are a bit long at times. Plus, Orlando is basically Cole's "home territory" and he's always over as shit. Y'all really think the Orlando crowd gonna Jericho/HHH the Battle of the Adams? 

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

I wish he had more low and mid-level offense. Everything he does feels like it starts from too high a point which makes it hard for him to escalate as the match goes on. 

I kinda like Page just going from the opening bell to knocking peoples heads off with Lariats and boots.

He’s kind of a big meaty guy in the AEW universe so makes sense that all his moves feel like bombs from the get go.

I love his move set btw, he doesn’t do anything that feel too contrived or that relies much on the other guy cooperating and his stuff just looks good. I only dislike the few times he does a running SSP because it doesn’t seem to match him at all, but apart from that his offence is *chef’s kiss 

16 hours ago, Log said:

I'm right there with you all on Cole, but for some reason, I have this feeling that the title match is going to be way better than I'm expecting.

Cole is a guy who I never get excited for when they announce his matches going all the way back to his PWG/ROH days, but when the actual matches happen I’m always invested and think to myself “lol this guys great”.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

The best thing about AEW PPVs is that you get to see long matches that aren't structured around commercial breaks. No matter how well the wrestlers interact with the crowd or work heat segments during them and even if you are watching the int'l feed you can see everything, they're still disruptive elements that force creative choices that aren't about what's best for the match but instead what's best for the presentation of it. I'm not going to say it automatically lessens every AEW TV match, because that's going a bit too far (I'd even say that it probably makes some matches better, but those matches are generally ones that had some underlying pacing issue to begin with), but anytime you're forced to make a creative choice for some reason other than the best possible narrative, it has an impact on overall quality and potential.

• Like 12