DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/16/2022

Danielson’s not a bad idea, but I think MJF is probably the best guy to win the belt next, specifically because since the very beginning with the Bret Hart title unveiling segment, MJF vs. Hangman was set up as their key feud between future stars. Hangman is their biggest homegrown baby face, he should lose the title to their biggest homegrown heel.

• Like 5

I still think Bryan Danielson should have beat Adam Page for the AEW World Championship as he's the best all rounder on the roster, best wrestler in the world and the GOAT. You want Danielson's name on the AEW World Championship roll call of honour. I think MJF is likely to be the next AEW World Champion. Khan's mad if Adam Cole beats Page for it at Revolution. I'd have Danielson vs. Page III and Danielson defeats Page for the belt.

Edited by The Natural

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

Danielson’s not a bad idea, but I think MJF is probably the best guy to win the belt next, specifically because since the very beginning with the Bret Hart title unveiling segment, MJF vs. Hangman was set up as their key feud between future stars. Hangman is their biggest homegrown baby face, he should lose the title to their biggest homegrown heel.

That is true and probably where they are heading but I think losing to Danielson and regaining adds a nice hitch to the long, uninterrupted title reign formula. Also it could create an interesting amount of frustration/obsession for MJF that he wasn't the guy to dethrone Page first, which is a tasty angle for a babyface Danielson v champ MJF feud down the line. 

It’s funny because I want the Cole-Omega feud, but I don’t think Cole is AEW champ level. I’m fine with him getting a TNT title run but he’s not THE guy to me. And since it’s been discussed, at some point I would like to see Danielson with the belt, but not sure of the progression to that point. One thing I do know from the last few months is he will do everything he can to put over whoever beats him, and will make whoever he beats look like great in losing.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
4 hours ago, alstein said:

I think TK wants to make his belt IWGP-like so he wants the epic reigns.  Mox and Omega did a lot to legitimize the belt.

Belts in AEW really do feel special (except for FTW), and that's refreshing.

I agree and think it's been great to have these long reigns rather than chopping and changing. But I don't think the belt will lose the aura or Page (who could argue he has the toughest title wins/defences in company history and rightly so) will suffer by losing the belt to a multiple-time world champ before getting it back. 

They are on a hell of a run. Just a month straight of great top to bottom shows. 

Punk promo was great, but the Mox “until I bleed with them first” line was my line of the night. Moxley has an electricity about him since coming back. Feels like he is about to hit another level. 

I want a Danielson, Mox, Moriarty, Garcia group soooooo bad. Sorry 2.0

I like Cole more on the mic than I do in the ring. Think he is the right kind of sleazy and I popped for the Tony bit. Count me as on board with this Page/Cole feud. Miro as Page’s next challenger after this please.

The roster is just so insanely deep right now. 

• Like 4

Oh yeah a couple more things. LOVED the pop for Eddie. He is one of the most over guys they have no matter the building, feud, city. I also love how much JR loves Eddie. JR has been so much better since his return. Good for him. 

4 Pillars Ranked:

1. MJF

2. Darby

3. Sammy

4. the other guy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Oh yeah a couple more things. LOVED the pop for Eddie. He is one of the most over guys they have no matter the building, feud, city. I also love how much JR loves Eddie. JR has been so much better since his return. Good for him. 

4 Pillars Ranked:

1. MJF

2. Darby

3. Sammy

4. the other guy 

I'd have the same order as you. Now if we do what CM Punk said...

1. Darby Allin.

2. Britt Baker.

3. Sammy Guevara.

4. Jungle Boy.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Jungle Boy is still above Sammy for me. Not JB’s fault he’s been mostly on Rampage and in tags. He’s also improving on the mic. As for Sammy, while “why can’t we all get along” Sammy is better than Chris Jericho’s Friend Sammy is the TNT Champ, it’s not very good. He’s the TNT champ - he should be the one kicking Jericho out, not standing behind him silently while Jericho promos PnP

• Like 1

I enjoyed this show but, to be honest, I think the Women's Title scene is kind of a mess.

-They brought Mercedes Martinez in and basically implied she was a heater for Jade Cargill. Made lots of sense, Sterling could represent them both then gradually have Martinez get annoyed and attempt to take Jade down, herself. Have Sterling align with whichever one you want to be the heel.

-Shortly thereafter, they reveal that Britt brought her in seemingly reversing course from the original purpose (Why would Britt care if Rosa defeated Jade Cargill, if nothing else, Rosa getting the TBS title would keep her away from Britt and prevent her from being a threat?) but also having Britt bring it up a propos nothing like a villain in a cheesy movie ("Let me tell you my whole plan before I leave you here to die because that never backfires on anyone!").

-After a really short time, we're already teasing dissension before the match even starts making the ending of the match less shocking before we've already teased it.

-The match, itseslf, was way too sloppy and dangerous for two established upper-tier women in the division. Early on, Rosa seemed to catch Martinez in the hand or wrist with a chairshot. You had that horrible landing on that spider german suplex, followed by the botched elbow/forearm drop. There were 5-6 spots in that match where I was pretty sure someone had almost died. Unlike the Britt/Rosa death match which had the one dangerous spot, but looked vicious. This one seemed rather pedestrian but dangerous.

-And, lastly, and I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but having the Cobra Kai guy involved was SO stupid. Like, why is your Women's World Champion taking advice from either A. an actor or B. a fictional character (because it was kind of pushed as both, they acknowledged the actor's name but called him her sensei as if he actually runs said dojo). It would be like if Kid Rock was at ringside giving Adam Page advice "Cowboy to cowboy". In something that requires as much suspension of belief as wrestling does, this takes me right out of it. It would be like William Shatner turning up in Avengers to give Tony Stark advice on how to get home from space.

I can only surmise they had some other plans for Baker (Maybe Shida again before the injury, or someone else they thought they could sign in time) because it feels like they had no real plans for her post-Riho/Ruby and decide to circle back onto the Rosa feud. They seemed to have a pretty clear plan with Page (Feud with Danielson, short violen feud with Archer, feud with Cole) but Baker is pretty much spinning her wheels.

• Like 3

Rosa/Martinez was one of those matches where not a lot (besides the German) looked impactful, but everything looked like it legitimately hurt. Which is pretty much the opposite of what’s supposed to happen in a wrestling match. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Rosa/Martinez was one of those matches where not a lot (besides the German) looked impactful, but everything looked like it legitimately hurt. Which is pretty much the opposite of what’s supposed to happen in a wrestling match. 

The way the announcers were talking about the elbow drop was dancing along the kayfabe line, basically saying “it’s supposed to look like it hurts but doesn’t actually hurt”

On 2/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, caley said:

-And, lastly, and I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but having the Cobra Kai guy involved was SO stupid. Like, why is your Women's World Champion taking advice from either A. an actor or B. a fictional character (because it was kind of pushed as both, they acknowledged the actor's name but called him her sensei as if he actually runs said dojo). It would be like if Kid Rock was at ringside giving Adam Page advice "Cowboy to cowboy". In something that requires as much suspension of belief as wrestling does, this takes me right out of it. It would be like William Shatner turning up in Avengers to give Tony Stark advice on how to get home from space.

no, i agree that the Cobra Kai thing was really dumb. If nothing else, it was presented as if Britt takes orders from this old guy we've never seen before, when in reality, she should be the one calling the shots (and has been until that point). 

i was a huge Kid Rock fan in the late 90s/early 00s and would mark out for him appearing with Hangman. But your point is entirely valid and correct.

Why would Hangman hang out with Kid Rock? He’s 15 years younger than Kid Rock’s entire fanbase, and also not MAGA in the slightest. If any wrestler is going to hang out with Kid Rock, it’d be like The Undertaker or some shit.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Why would Hangman hang out with Kid Rock? He’s 15 years younger than Kid Rock’s entire fanbase, and also not MAGA in the slightest. If any wrestler is going to hang out with Kid Rock, it’d be like The Undertaker or some shit.

Hangman would probably hang out with Orville Peck.

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Hangman would probably hang out with Orville Peck.

The Orville Peck cover of Small Town Boy is on the "Anxious Millennial Cowboy" playlist that Page curated on Spotify, so excellent call on your part. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
40 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

The Orville Peck cover of Small Town Boy is on the "Anxious Millennial Cowboy" playlist that Page curated on Spotify, so excellent call on your part. 

For good reason, that cover's fantastic.