DVDVR Message Board

UFC 271: Adesanya vs. Whittaker II (02/12/2022) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, twiztor said:

i've been drinking since 5pm (it's almost 11pm now) so i don't know that i'd call it morning, but thanks!

also, i enjoy the DC-Bisping team but i'm missing Rogan too

Still coherent enough to post so proving us men can indeed multitask ?.

• Haha 1

Agreed. I didn't find the main event particularly difficult to score, shouldn't be any controversy around it. 

I, for one, do not miss the days of the UFC where one fighter logging a takedown or two seemingly automatically won them the round regardless of what happened afterwards. Whittaker initiated the grappling exchanges but couldn't keep the fight where he wanted it for more than a few seconds at a time. Didn't gain any sort of significant control over Adesayna for any real time at all. Probably the biggest positional advantage he had was in the fifth where he was Izzy's "backpack," but he  relinquished that after a short time once he couldn't secure the choke on one or two attempts. 

Booker T (36:30ish and 59:30ish) asking Rob Whittaker and Izzy questions at the post-fight press conference. When worlds collide! Tai was usual humble self.

Like I said in the other thread, I'm an Izzy fanboy due to his beautiful striking so am biased but Rob couldn't hold him down for any appreciable period of time or do any appreciable amount of damage, unlike how Izzy carved up his leg, plus the knockdown in R1. Savvy champions' performance but definitely a good showing on both sides.

Edited by Custos

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

48-47 Adesanya, leaning toward 49-46 and the fact that there's any discussion about this makes the brain part of my head hurt. My hair might even hurt.

I've been watching almost my entire life (for frame of reference) and thought the 49-46 score was out there.  I really don't have a problem with Adesanya winning, but I thought Whittaker deserved to win on at least one card.

Look. I get it. To be the man you got to beat the man. Never leave it in the hands of the judges. 

But watching it live, seeing Whittaker get stronger as the fight wore on, seeing him turn the pro-Izzy crowd in his favor, getting the takedown and piggy back choke chance, it felt like maybe something special was gonna happen.

but yeah leg kicks whatever