DVDVR Message Board

UFC 271: Adesanya vs. Whittaker II (02/12/2022) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

271599312_10159876563521276_585048228730

UFC 271: Adesanya vs. Whittaker II 
February 12, 2022
Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Israel Adesanya © (184) vs. Robert Whittaker (184) (fourth defense) - Adesanya, DEC (unanimous)
Derrick Lewis (266) vs. Tai Tuivasa (265) - Tuivasa, KO (standing elbow), R2 (1:40)
Jared Cannonier (185) vs. Derek Brunson (185.5) - Cannonier, KO (elbows), R2 (4:29)
Alexander Hernandez (156) vs. Renato Carneiro (156) - Carneiro, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:23)
Bobby Green (155.5) vs. Nasrat Haqparast (156) - Green, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Andrei Arlovski (246) vs. Jared Vanderaa (265) - Arlovski, DEC (split)
Roxanne Modafferi (126) vs. Casey O'Neill (125.5) - O'Neill, DEC (split)
Kyler Phillips (136) vs. Marcelo Rojo (136) - Phillips, SUB (triangle armbar), R3 (1:48)
Carlos Ulberg (204) vs. Fabio Cherant (206) - Ulberg, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Leomana Martinez (136) vs. Ronnie Lawrence (136) - Lawrence, DEC (unanimous)
A.J. Dobson (185) vs. Jacob Malkoun (186) - Malkoun, DEC (unanimous)
Douglas Silva de Andrade (136) vs. Sergey Morozov (135) - Silva de Andrade, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:34)
Jeremiah Wells (170.5) vs. Mike Mathetha (170) - Wells, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:38)
William Knight (218)** vs. Maxim Grishin (206) - Grishin, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 40% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jared Cannonier
Performance of the Night: Tai Tuivasa
Fight of the Night: Douglas Silva de Andrade vs. Sergey Morozov

Attendance: 17,872
Gate: $4.3 million
Buyrate:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

So, I don't think I recognize a name on the early prelims.  Who to watch out for?  Did I mention that I'm going?

I’ll let the experts give more detailed analysis, but Mike Mathetha is known as Blood Diamond and trains under Eugene Bareman at City Kickboxing alongside Adesanya. He has some kickboxing KO highlights out there but is making his UFC debut and is apparently very unorthodox in his MMA approach.

Another CKB guy on the card is Carlos Ulberg who I think was a TUF guy and has had one fight (loss) so far.

Hernandez is a lightweight who’s had some Performance of the Night KOs (including beating Dariush) and was pretty disgruntled about not being on the main card. That’s all I got.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Hernandez is a lightweight who’s had some Performance of the Night KOs (including beating Dariush) and was pretty disgruntled about not being on the main card. That’s all I got.

I learned about Hernandez because youtube always recommends I watch that time he talked mad shit to Donald Cerrone and then got humbled.

I feel like they didn't exactly do Roxy any favors on her way out giving her Casey O'Neill. This feels like one of those Japanese wrestling retirements where you have to go out on an emphatic loss. Such is the life cycle of fighters, I guess.

• Like 1

Alex Perez missed weight, so his prelim fight with Matt Schnell is off tomorrow's card.

somehow, the choice was made to bump Phillips/Rojo from the main card down to the prelims, and elevate Hernandez/Moicano to the PPV portion.  weird re-arrangement. makes perfect sense, Moicano shouldn't have been on the early prelims anyway IMO.  but it doesn't really affect me since i watch all the fights anyway.

William Knight missed weight by 12 POUNDS over the Light Heavyweight limit taking the fight on short notice. Knight vs. Maxim Grishin will now be a Heavyweight fight. Jesus at missing weight to that extent. Reminds me of Anthony Johnson 11 pounds over the Middleweight division limit vs. Vitor Belfort at UFC 142.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Unless something else crazy happens, Silva de Andrade vs. Morozov will win the FOTN bonus easily. 

I was skipping through early prelims after getting home, and yeah that fight was wild.