DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v. 56

Dolfan in NYC

So according to USA Today's ad meter the SB commercial winner was the Barbie/Anna Kendrick commercial followed by the Amazon Mind Reader one.  Can't really argue about their top 5.  The worst ad to nobody's surprise was the Coinbase ad and last by a large margin.   Will be interesting if that ad will be rated the worst ever

https://admeter.usatoday.com/

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So according to USA Today's ad meter the SB commercial winner was the Barbie/Anna Kendrick commercial followed by the Amazon Mind Reader one.  Can't really argue about their top 5.  The worst ad to nobody's surprise was the Coinbase ad and last by a large margin.   Will be interesting if that ad will be rated the worst ever

https://admeter.usatoday.com/

Anna Kendrick was pushing to vote on her socials, that might have helped. I didn't vote, I may be  huge Anna Kendrick stan but I have my limits.

I'd take peak Cam over peak Stafford, but I'd take career Stafford over career Cam if that makes sense.

I'd take Stafford over Eli and Romo for sure. Romo was hurt too much and Eli was Eli.

Ryan I'd have to think about. Statistically, they're are actually nearly identical. Stafford has slightly better yards and TDs per game. Ryan slightly better in INT percentage. Completion percentage, QB rating are comparable. If I'm basing the pick on vibes though, it is Stafford all the way.

1 minute ago, elizium said:

I'd take peak Cam over peak Stafford, but I'd take career Stafford over career Cam if that makes sense.

I'd take Stafford over Eli and Romo for sure. Romo was hurt too much and Eli was Eli.

Ryan I'd have to think about. Statistically, they're are actually nearly identical. Stafford has slightly better yards and TDs per game. Ryan slightly better in INT percentage. Completion percentage, QB rating are comparable. If I'm basing the pick on vibes though, it is Stafford all the way.

I'd take a healthy Cam over all of the above. 

I'd take Romo over Eli (I know I'm in the minority, but I'll go to my grave believing this).  All the things we say about Romo are more true about Eli, except Eli actually won two Super Bowls.  He wasn't particularly good in either of those seasons, but he won and we have to give him credit for that.  

I'd take Eli over Ryan.

I'd take Ryan over Stafford.  They are essentially the same, but Ryan was the MVP of the league one season and Stafford has never received a single MVP vote.

I look at quarterbacks like I look at NBA players.  I can't think of a single great one who doesn't lift the level of their team.  I don't care if you score 35 per game, if you don't make the playoffs, that probably means you aren't that good.  Stafford, who has all the talent in the world, has played on way too many bad teams for me to ever consider him better than average.  His numbers are inflated because he's always throwing the ball around to stay in games that he was going to lose any way.  He also has more yards and touchdowns because they he hasn't played with a quality running back his entire career.  He's never played with a running back who has accounted for more than 9 touchdowns (I'd challenge anyone to name the player without looking it up).  An NFL team is going to score a certain number of touchdowns every season, if there is no secondary scoring option the quarterback is going to have inflated touchdown numbers.  Honestly, name another quarterback, especially in the modern era where they've done everything to protect the quarterback, that you think is hall of fame level who has played on as many bad teams as Matthew Stafford.  There isn't one.  

26 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'd take a healthy Cam over all of the above. 

Cam had his one MVP year but showed himself when he refused to try for the fumble in the Super Bowl.  You think Stafford doesn't dive in there?  

I think you could make the case that that one year for Cam was better than anything Stafford has done but I'll take Stafford's career for sure.  Cam just doesn't/didn't throw the ball well enough for the quarterback position.

5 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Cam had his one MVP year but showed himself when he refused to try for the fumble in the Super Bowl.  You think Stafford doesn't dive in there?  

I think you could make the case that that one year for Cam was better than anything Stafford has done but I'll take Stafford's career for sure.  Cam just doesn't/didn't throw the ball well enough for the quarterback position.

I don't think the fumble thing matters that much.  Stafford might have dove after that fumble, but Cam put his body on the line more than any quarterback in history.  I can't hold that one play against him.  Cam was a capable but unspectacular passer for the majority of his career, but he was a player that made your offense really good all by himself.  You could get to a Super Bowl with Cam Newton and a pupu platter of offensive talent, because you had Cam Newton.  His MVP year was him, Greg Olsen, and a bunch of regular ass dudes on offense, and they went to the Super Bowl.  Matthew Stafford played with Megatron for 6 years and only played in two playoff games.  One of those guys makes your team a whole lot better, the other one is Matthew Stafford.  At his very best Cam Newton was the best player on earth for a season.  There isn't a day in his career where you'd say that about Matthew Stafford.

Just now, supremebve said:

I don't think the fumble thing matters that much.  Stafford might have dove after that fumble, but Cam put his body on the line more than any quarterback in history.  I can't hold that one play against him.  Cam was a capable but unspectacular passer for the majority of his career, but he was a player that made your offense really good all by himself.  You could get to a Super Bowl with Cam Newton and a pupu platter of offensive talent, because you had Cam Newton.  His MVP year was him, Greg Olsen, and a bunch of regular ass dudes on offense, and they went to the Super Bowl.  Matthew Stafford played with Megatron for 6 years and only played in two playoff games.  One of those guys makes your team a whole lot better, the other one is Matthew Stafford.  At his very best Cam Newton was the best player on earth for a season.  There isn't a day in his career where you'd say that about Matthew Stafford.

Cam certainly lifted that offense by being able to run.  He also had Jonathan Stewart who was still a competent RB at the time.  And a top-6 defense.  Stafford never had those pieces all at once.

Like I said, that one year from Cam was probably better than anything Stafford has done.  But, at the end of the day, quarterbacks have to be able to throw and Cam was never close to top-tier in that regard.

Just saw a replay of the completion from Stafford to Kupp on the final drive when LA was midfield.

Stafford no-looked it.  20 yards downfield into a tight window and he no-looked the pass.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

For the record, I would take Stafford over Eli without half a second of hesitation. 

57,000 career passing yards. Lifetime 60% completion percentage. 366 Passing TDs. Started 290 games straight and had the (active) Iron Man record at one time. Two time Super Bowl winner. Two time Super Bowl MVP. Beat the only undefeated team in the modern era in The Super Bowl as a heavvyyyy underdog. Both Super Bowl wins were done as underdog away team wilcards. You put a little respect on Eli's name good sir. Yes Stafford should get into The HOF. But Eli deserves it too.

Also he's top 5 all time for most Super Bowl MVPs. Brady has 5, Montana has 3, then Eli, Bart Starr, & Terry Bradshaw have 2 each. Everyone on this list is HOF worthy just for how hard it is to make it to multiple Super Bowls, and win multiple Super Bowls, and be the MVP of multiple Super Bowls.

Also also disregard all of the stats. He deserves HOF status based on his Madden taunt alone. SNL had him do a skit where he was trying to figure out taunts for Madden and they had him make a sandwich. He dropped it on the ground. Then Picked it up and ate it and grossed everyone out. Madden actually made that his TD taunt. It's the best one ever. Hall of Famer baby. Case closed lol.

33 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Also also disregard all of the stats. He deserves HOF status based on his Madden taunt alone. SNL had him do a skit where he was trying to figure out taunts for Madden and they had him make a sandwich. He dropped it on the ground. Then Picked it up and ate it and grossed everyone out. Madden actually made that his TD taunt. It's the best one ever. Hall of Famer baby. Case closed lol.

Hadn't heard that but went looking for video to see it.  Couldn't find the Madden taunt - somebody hook a brotha up - but watched the SNL skit and was dying.  Holy crap, that was funny.

19 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Just saw a replay of the completion from Stafford to Kupp on the final drive when LA was midfield.

Stafford no-looked it.  20 yards downfield into a tight window and he no-looked the pass.

Stafford has all-time level arm talent.  The reason the Rams traded for him is that Goff was limited physically in a way that Stafford just is not.  He has his flaws as a player, being able to laser a pass into a tight window from time to time isn't one of them.  The pass at the end of the Tampa Bay game was probably the best throw of his career, he launched that ball and put it exactly where it needed to be.  I'd say this season is pretty easily the best of his career.  This year showed how good he could be in the right situation, but it also showed his flaws.  He throws a lot of balls up for grabs, like a whole lot, but a lot of that has to do with his confidence in his physical talent.  He's not quite Jeff George, but that pass at the end of the 49ers game almost cost them a championship.  

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Two time Super Bowl winner. Two time Super Bowl MVP. Beat the only undefeated team in the modern era in The Super Bowl as a heavvyyyy underdog. Both Super Bowl wins were done as underdog away team wilcards. 

I think Eli should get all the credit in the world for all of this and it should be celebrated.  I just don't believe that this outweighs the rest of his career and puts him in the Hall of Fame.  I'm very stingy about who should and shouldn't be in the football hall of fame.  I don't think you should get in unless you were one of the best players of all time at your position.  Eli Manning was not that.  I don't know if there is a single year where I thought he was one of the five best quarterbacks in the league, let alone an all-time great.  There may be 2 seasons where I'd call Matthew Stafford top 10 in the league and this year is the second.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Peyton is the one who gets all the press for being funny, but Eli is clearly the funniest brother.  It's almost like him having the same number of Super Bowls as Peyton is just an elaborate troll job.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Peyton is the one who gets all the press for being funny, but Eli is clearly the funniest brother.  It's almost like him having the same number of Super Bowls as Peyton is just an elaborate troll job.  

Eli may have a better sense of humor, but Peyton's schmuck charisma is next-level shit. He keynoted at my old company's Vegas show and had a room with thousands of people eating his act with a spoon and coming back for thirds.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that Peyton is not funny, I'm saying that Eli has been funnier to me in every single instance where one of them was trying to be funny, especially when they're together.  For what it's worth, I also think the same thing about Snoop Dogg and Kevin Hart.  Kevin Hart is a professional comedian, but every time they have ever been on television together Snoop is much funnier.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm not saying that Peyton is not funny, I'm saying that Eli has been funnier to me in every single instance where one of them was trying to be funny, especially when they're together.  For what it's worth, I also think the same thing about Snoop Dogg and Kevin Hart.  Kevin Hart is a professional comedian, but every time they have ever been on television together Snoop is much funnier.  

That could just be that you have lower expectations for Snoop since you expect the actual comedian Hart to be funnier. I liken it to the SNL before Wrestlemania 2000 where Rock was the official host but you had Triple H, Foley and Big Show "running in on Rock" (his opponents at Mania) throughout the show... and Show basically stole every scene since he has deceptively awesome comedic timing.

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

That could just be that you have lower expectations for Snoop since you expect the actual comedian Hart to be funnier. I liken it to the SNL before Wrestlemania 2000 where Rock was the official host but you had Triple H, Foley and Big Show "running in on Rock" (his opponents at Mania) throughout the show... and Show basically stole every scene since he has deceptively awesome comedic timing.

This.  Another thing is I also don't think Snoop could do an hour stand up special and it be as good as a Kevin Hart stand up special.  With that said, if I had to hang out with any of these people I think I'd laugh more with Snoop and Eli than I did with Peyton and Kevin Hart.  They are more shoot the shit with your friends funny than stand in front of a crowd funny, and I appreciate shoot the shit funny in most situations.

• Like 1

On the final play of the game, Jalen Ramsey got torched yet again, fell down, and left Chase running free. If Burrow got even one second, very possibly a different outcome. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm not saying that Peyton is not funny, I'm saying that Eli has been funnier to me in every single instance where one of them was trying to be funny, especially when they're together.

I could see Peyton trying to be funny being a bit overexposed compared to Eli, who doesn't have stuff like the SNL dodgeball video and various commercials to his credit

• RIPPA unpinned this topic