DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 1/28/22

Technico Support

This is RAMPAAAAGGEEEEE!

Jungle Jack Perry and "No Gimmcks Needed" Austin the Dinosaur vs Private Party: So (don't call them the) Jurassic Express just won the belts and Private Party have gotten trapped in JTTS-ville with Matt Hardy's misfit toys gang.  Remember when PP went over The Bucks in the debut episode of Dynamite?  Should be fun but the ending won't be in doubt (that's the story of the whole show, actually).

Jade Cargill vs The One Eyed Monster Julia Hart: so this is going to be more angle advancement than a match and that's fine.  They'll keep it short, hopefully, because both are really green still.

MOX vs Anthony Bowens: Bowens has been a real surprise and has just improved leaps and bounds.  Everybody thought MOX would squash Ethan Page last week and instead, they worked a "he needs to work off the ring rust" angle, and that's just fine and I'd like to see more of that here.  BUT it's four matches in an hour, so they might not get much.

FTR vs Johnson and Anderson for custody of Arn: I just really want to see how good FTR are at carrying guys, because Johnson and Anderson are not that good.

This is going to be a really fast hour and I'm cool with that. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Curious primarily on Mox vs Bowens and then the story progression with Hart/Cargill and FTR vs Johnson/Anderson. You know FTR are going to try to put Brock through his paces to help his development if possible. Probably skipping the tag title match since there's a 50/50 chance it'll annoy me for lack of contrast. Behind on Tuesday's Catch so I might scan through this one real quick tomorrow morning. Got to figure out who these two masked gents that one of the best tag teams of all time, Rene Ben Chemoul and Walter Bordes, are up against.

Spoiler

This is hampage bb. Main event lost the plot a little bit but I really enjoy the evolution of Private Party and think they could be more than JTTS at this point. Fun match and now playtime is OVER. THE GUNN CLUB ARE HERE TO  TAKE WHAT IS THEIRS. I want Austin to go full on Buff Daddy with the stupid dance thing and spouting off how stupid his opponents are to the camera. He's a magnificent midcard heel. Colten da hoss.

Julia/Jade was kind of what I was weary Jade/Anna was going to be. It wasn't awful but it certainly wasn't good and this Julia thing is going at a glacial pace.

Sad we didn't get to hear FTR's theme. The double Arn spot was the highlight of a pretty good match. They really tried to put shine on Lee but the crowd were not buying a single second of any of it. Dead stuff but they tried. Brock is improving quite a bit.

Was eating dinner during the Mox match but it seemed like what you'd expect out of those two. Good but forgettable. Excited for some Danielson and Moxley promos.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Yeah the Moxley match wasn't as good as vs. Page for sure, Bowens' silly twists on normal moves is very post-Kanyon stale and it never really picked up. The Paradigm Shift was good again, at least. 

Tag was a solid R'n'Rs vs. Midnights even with a green Brock, until he vanished, Tully took a sad bump from who knows what and the match just sorta ended. Women's match was What Jiji Said. 

Big takeaway from the main was, damn no wonder nobody does a Guillotine legdrop, that shit gotta hurt. 

Oh and Andrade is sinking into the character, it's great. "Why choo so craseee?"

• Like 4

Speaking of JTTS, I love that Bowens and Caster get regular air time but these losses are starting to build up on me. Like they can't STILL be in the doghouse, right? (I know they do cutsey stuff with TK during commercial breaks at Dynamite but feels like they lose any major match they have).

Not entirely convinced Julia is joining the Church of (Dutch) Satan but I feel like a match like this can set it up either way. Either the losses start to build up and she needs something "more" to come back from the injury, or maybe it just ends up being a reason to split from the Blondes if they're going to be overprotective of her, not joining Black but just going her own way. Julia does still look Green but she wasn't out there trying to do TOO much, and Jade continues to impress.

That blind tag into the mind breaker was smooooooooth. Sign me up for Briscoes/FTR like yesterday.

I totally bit on that opening match Gin and Juice, Private Party better get those belts someday. AND THE VELVET ROPE WAS BACK!

• Like 3

I thought Anthony Bowen looked great in that match.  He is soooo TRIPLE Booker T of that tagteam and he should have a good singles run.  He lays it in and I dug that.  Jon Moxley looks fucking great since he's been back and I like how he is trying to one up Danielson by having good matches with anyone on the roster.  I guess we are just waiting for the Briscoes to show up so FTR is just hanging around on TV.  Jade Cargill and Julia's match was perfectly fine and not close to the miracle match Jade had with Anna J.  Isiah didn't scream like a little girl but at least the Ass Boys ended the episode standing tall.  Austin Gunn is so great.

• Like 11

I liked the opener because I like Bowens, looked early like a squash but turned into a good match with some stiff shots. I would like to see Bowens with a couple more power moves since he’s a muscular dude, maybe a swinging scoop slam? Mox is being very giving and I like it.

Women’s match was bad, served no purpose, and at this point feels like the Blondes/HoB angle is done or dead in the water. Jade should not be the best wrestler in any match she has at this point (even though she is getting better).

FTR are number 1 and the best, they made Shotty Lee and Brock look very good. I wanted Dax to do a huge power slam and brain buster and then look to Arn for approval. The little Arn-Tully confrontation was fine for my nostalgia and also a reminder that there is a reason that these septuagenarians are managers now (and I’m so glad that’s it).

The main was weird. I don’t know how Private Party was #1, I like Cassidy a lot but there are parts of the gimmick that just feel a little...off. Isolating Luchasaurus and working the knee was great for psychology, if only he actually sold it. Having JBJP be the hot tag was a switch and he did some good moves along with some really confusing contrived double-team/reversal shit. I don’t know, this just didn’t hit for me.

Also, I still don’t like Billy Gunn but the Ass Boys are growing on me.

I’m totally ready for Thunder Rosa v. Mercedes Martinez. I also don’t think the Punk-MJF match next week is going to be a real match.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I also don’t think the Punk-MJF match next week is going to be a real match.

I don't think you can fuck over their best market like that and not expect repercussions. I think a bullshit finish is inevitable but they should have a match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

I don't think you can fuck over their best market like that and not expect repercussions. I think a bullshit finish is inevitable but they should have a match.

I guess they can do that to build to the cage match we all want at a PPV?

Everything was fun! Looks like Rosa may be rid of Martinez by Revolution one way or the other!

Have FTR and Jurassic Express had a match yet?

Julia Hart's performance makes one appreciate Anna Jay more, but I think what she did was ok.

Main event was cool! That Doomsday Device flipping powerslam was insane!

Bowens looks really good and his build is solid, like a young, smaller Cena. Just as I thought of that, he even tried to use a damn chain!

The "I'm Arn! No I'm Arn! Wait am I Arn? Or are you?" spot in the FTR match was ace!

Ass Gunns interfering after the main event had better set up that 6 man before a tag title match! Here's to hoping that I can look anywhere near like a natural version of Billy Gunn when I reach 65 or whatever he is at this point! His '93 self is looking at him going "what the fuck did I do to myself?!?"

Edited by Shartnado
More details
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Baseless prediction: MJF is going over, but they'll get the crowd back w the Wardlow turn.

-

Good show tonight. I thought it was a nice twist on the usual JX formula w Jungle Boy getting the hot tag instead. Mox might have been dare I say it a bit too generous but I still had fun. I say this with sadness but I really don't even have many thoughts about the ladies' match, just kinda there. I kept expecting Juliya to spit mist or something.

Fun show, I was never bored. Some thoughts:

Mox-Bowens felt a few minutes too long and I feel lacked a bit of drama because no one in the crowd ever bough into any of Bowens false finishes. Still a good match and GOD DAMN Mox took his head off with that lariat near the end.

Same for FTR murdering Lee Johnson on the outside at one point the match with brutal shots.

I’m really liking Julia Hart’s attitude lately, and if you watch her on Sammy’s blog she’s starting to show a lot of personality too.

Andrade’s English seems to be getting much better, he sounded a lot more confident and fluid in that backstage segment with Darby. 

Main event was fun and as expected, so far I’ve enjoyed Jurassic Express’ reign more than The Lucha Bros.  I like that we had Teo tag matches with two tiers of veterans as managers, Tully-Arn and then Hardy-Christian.

• Like 1

I like Julia but she's super green and I am not quite sure what the point of that match was.

Quen and Cassidy are keepers. Shotty and Brock I am less sure about but they are still young I guess.

Tbh though, I think having all these matches with foregone conclusions is a bit of a problem. Upsets happen in sports, I think AEW could use a few more sometimes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

Isiah didn't scream like a little girl 

He did, but it was right at the end of the PinP. He got backdropped over the top rope and squeeeeeeaaaaled on his way to the floor. The crowd did a big laugh, and then Excalibur said "And we're back on TNT".

10 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Tbh though, I think having all these matches with foregone conclusions is a bit of a problem. Upsets happen in sports, I think AEW could use a few more sometimes.

Upsets are for live shows. Pre-taped Rampages are for foregone conclusions.

I liked Moxley vs Bowens better than Moxley vs Homicide in GCW.

• Like 1

Taz said another one of those comments which I hate from wrestling commentators (JR does it a lot) when he said Bowen is good because he is “legit athlete, legit dude” because of his baseball background.

At least Jericho caught it and quickly said something like (in Jericho scream): “legit athlete? We’ll MOX IS A LEGIT FIGHTER BAYBAYYY”

• Like 3

Like how they are going all Goldberg on Jade but not unlike Goldberg she needs to be in the ring with more vets which well AEW does not have on the womens side. Julia and Jade was not good, and should have been on  Youtube.  Jade is getting better but she needs really good opponents. Julia needs alot more reps

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I like Julia but she's super green and I am not quite sure what the point of that match was.

More than likely slowly going up the pecking order of women on the roster. But they’ll need to start looking for challengers from outside the company if they want her to get 50. I wonder if that’s why they are experimenting with Megan Bayne to set up an obstacle for her in the future.

All these posts and nobody mentioned Serena running THE EXORCIST STAIRS? I guess they went to Georgetown for a shoot when they were in DC last week.  Nice.

looool @ Jade doing push-ups, sit-ups, and four taunts, COMPLETELY filling her finisher bar.  The revelation of the night is that Brock Anderson is better than Jade and it’s not even close.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

All these posts and nobody mentioned Serena running THE EXORCIST STAIRS? I guess they went to Georgetown for a shoot when they were in DC last week.  Nice.

looool @ Jade doing push-ups, sit-ups, and four taunts, COMPLETELY filling her finisher bar.  The revelation of the night is that Brock Anderson is better than Jade and it’s not even close.

I thought those stairs seemed familiar. Cheers for confirming. @J.T. and @Curt McGirt will want to know.

• Thanks 1