DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NFL PLAYOFFS: CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dolfan in NYC

I’m sure the sports media could muster up some “is Joe Burrow the next big QB?” coverage going into this game because they’re trying to find a QB to either be Mahomes’ rival (or someone that they could hype more than Mahomes for when Brady/Rodgers are gone and they need a new most famous QB)

49 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m sure the sports media could muster up some “is Joe Burrow the next big QB?” coverage going into this game because they’re trying to find a QB to either be Mahomes’ rival (or someone that they could hype more than Mahomes for when Brady/Rodgers are gone and they need a new most famous QB)

I like Burrow but is he elite or Joe Flacco elite. What can we point to and say he does this better than anyone else? Serious question. (Besides getting sacked a ton. Dude’s David Carr-esque)

Because I compare Davis Mills to him, and I don’t think that’s a compliment.

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I like Burrow but is he elite or Joe Flacco elite. What can we point to and say he does this better than anyone else? Serious question. (Besides getting sacked a ton. Dude’s David Carr-esque)

Because I compare Davis Mills to him, and I don’t think that’s a compliment.

You are aware of the fact that he just led a team to multiple playoff victories that had none in over 3 decades playing behind arguably the worst offensive line in the entire league right?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

You are aware of the fact that he just led a team to multiple playoff victories that had none in over 3 decades playing behind arguably the worst offensive line in the entire league right?

Yes and I think he’s great! Is he on Mahomes or Allen’s level? No.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Yes and I think he’s great! Is he on Mahomes or Allen’s level? No.

Put either of them behind the Bengals offensive line and see what happens. Hell put Tom Brady in his prime in that position and see what happens.

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

Put either of them behind the Bengals offensive line and see what happens. Hell put Tom Brady in his prime in that position and see what happens.

Tell me what elite skill Burrow has besides taking 60+ sacks. What does Burrow do better than every other QB?

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Tell me what elite skill Burrow has besides taking 60+ sacks. What does Burrow do better than every other QB?

Winning playoff games for a team that has been a synonym for miserable godforsaken laughingstock since Paul Brown died 30 years ago? Ranting about "elite skill" is the type of worthless idiot's delight nonsense you hear on these godawful sports radio shows in the few moments they aren't talking about gambling.

Edited by sabremike

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Winning playoff games for a team that has been a synonym for miserable godforsaken laughingstock since Paul Brown died 30 years ago? Ranting about "elite skill" is the type of worthless idiot's delight nonsense you hear on these godawful sports radio shows in the few moments they aren't talking about gambling.

So you can’t name a single thing. I’d accept something like he can read the field really quick while he’s getting creamed.

Or better yet, he can force a ref to simultaneously blow and swallow his whistle in a playoff game to steal a touchdown. 

Or, I don’t know clutch gene.

but you got nada.

35 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

So you can’t name a single thing. I’d accept something like he can read the field really quick while he’s getting creamed.

Or better yet, he can force a ref to simultaneously blow and swallow his whistle in a playoff game to steal a touchdown. 

Or, I don’t know clutch gene.

but you got nada.

I'm not naming anything because it's stupid pointless and idiotic thing to debate and I don't feel like wasting valuable time on such a thing. 

And BTW he didn't "steal" a touchdown, the refs did something idiotic that had no effect on the play and had it been overturned it would've been a legit injustice. Stealing a victory would be doing something like a baseball team setting up an elaborate scheme involving banging garbage cans to steal signals.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I'm not naming anything because it's stupid pointless and idiotic thing to debate and I don't feel like wasting valuable time on such a thing. 

And BTW he didn't "steal" a touchdown, the refs did something idiotic that had no effect on the play and had it been overturned it would've been a legit injustice. Stealing a victory would be doing something like a baseball team setting up an elaborate scheme involving banging garbage cans to steal signals.

Like the Yankees and Red Sox did!

I like Burrow! A lot! I’ve been rooting for the Bengals! I’m rooting for them against the Chiefs! I’m just trying to name the je me sais quoi that makes him special and I can’t. And apparently neither can you.

Deshaun Watson has elite elusiveness in the pocket and the open field and excellent downfield accuracy. And apparently no moral compass. Davis Mills reads the field quickly and gets rid of the ball. Apparently has good downfield accuracy, but small sample size that may prove an outlier. Intriguing, but no idea what we really have.

Mahomes has otherworldly arm strength and accuracy and can make any throw anytime to anywhere. Josh Allen had super arm talent and can run like Tebow but actually good. I’d also say both of them are schemed extraordinarily well that tailors to their skills and their skill players best attributes. The best scheme Deshaun ever had was “throw in the general direction of DeAndre Hopkins” or “If no one is open just run around in a circle until someone finally gets open”

Burrow in theory is the next guy in the Manning/Brady traditional pocket passer mold, and he absolutely looks like a guy who could be a star for the next 15 years.

Mahomes and Allen are something different though. Like a hyper efficient version of Bret Farve, and a Cam Newton who throws the ball at an elite level.

I love Joe Burrow and hope he puts together a hall of fame career. But there are things that Mahomes and Allen do that he just isn't physically capable of.

• Like 3

Fun stat/fact to combat one of the NFL's dumbest cliches: since the 1970 merger, teams that went 2-0 in the regular season are 14-8 in playoff third matches. "It's hard to beat the same team three times" doesn't really hold up to history (though it did work out for the Bucs against the Saints last year.)

35 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Fun stat/fact to combat one of the NFL's dumbest cliches: since the 1970 merger, teams that went 2-0 in the regular season are 14-8 in playoff third matches. "It's hard to beat the same team three times" doesn't really hold up to history (though it did work out for the Bucs against the Saints last year.)

I mean, you're saying they win a little less than 3 out of 5 times (58.33%). I think that's a lot lower than you'd expect for an outcome that has already happened twice. 

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, you're saying they win a little less than 3 out of 5 times (58.33%). I think that's a lot lower than you'd expect for an outcome that has already happened twice. 

Sure, but people act like the team that lost twice should be the favorite by default because it's "hard to beat the same team three times"

And I'm not even saying the Rams shouldn'tbe favored in this game necessarily. Looking at everything but the two head to head matchups, and the Rams look like the better team by a fair margin. I just hate the argument the way it's used so often.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Chiefs fanbase is all class. This is tremendous.

It's incredible that these drunken, wild, jumping-through-flaming-tables maniacs of a fanbase in Buffalo inspire other teams' fanbases to be so giving.  It's the most weirdly heart warming thing in sports.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 6:16 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Burrow in theory is the next guy in the Manning/Brady traditional pocket passer mold, and he absolutely looks like a guy who could be a star for the next 15 years.

Mahomes and Allen are something different though. Like a hyper efficient version of Bret Farve, and a Cam Newton who throws the ball at an elite level.

I love Joe Burrow and hope he puts together a hall of fame career. But there are things that Mahomes and Allen do that he just isn't physically capable of.

For as good as Burrow is/can be as a pocket passer, he'll never live up to that elite tag if his O-Line is made of wet paper.

My cousin is a long suffering Cincy fan so I'd love to see a miracle but, damn, protect your franchise QB please.