DVDVR Message Board

2022 Game Deals, Subscriptions Etc.

RIPPA

Humble Bundle has a Capcom deal where you get 9 games + 2 coupons for $20, including Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 5, Strider, and Bionic Commando, among others.  Seems like a good deal:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/capcom-summer-2022-bundle

The new PS Plus rolled out today. I subbed for a month, gonna see how I like it. I've already streamed Split/Second and downloaded Infamous: First Light, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Bring Me the Moon and Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered. I'm probably going to end up keeping it. Not a lot in the way of PS1/PS2/PSP right now, but I'm not really bothered by that personally. I tried out Star Wars: Bounty Hunter and the controls are suuuuuper shit, maybe they always have been, I don't know.

I was shocked to see Ghosts of Tsushima was over 100GB apparently.  But that's another one I'm going to be downloading soon too, since I haven't played the DLC yet.

I need to boot up the PS5 tonight and check it out. I'm not a "graphics" guy but man so many games from 1996 to 2002 (just an estimated range) are so ugly. So very very ugly. I like the SNES look and the current "pixel" games are fine but the early years of 3D just don't hold up. Try playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for more than 30 minute and your eyes will start to bleed.

I say that to say that while I want them to add lots of older games, how many I'd really be able to sit down and finish I am not sure. The main thing I care about (quickly adding new games) isn't something they are really doing so once my subscription expires from having Plus + Now already I probably will just keep the lowest level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I need to boot up the PS5 tonight and check it out. I'm not a "graphics" guy but man so many games from 1996 to 2002 (just an estimated range) are so ugly. So very very ugly. I like the SNES look and the current "pixel" games are fine but the early years of 3D just don't hold up. Try playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for more than 30 minute and your eyes will start to bleed.

I say that to say that while I want them to add lots of older games, how many I'd really be able to sit down and finish I am not sure. The main thing I care about (quickly adding new games) isn't something they are really doing so once my subscription expires from having Plus + Now already I probably will just keep the lowest level.

We tried to play the original Perfect Dark on a friend's old N64 a little bit ago, and after maybe 30 minutes we all agreed that we needed to stop before our eyes were permanantly damaged.  I couldn't have been more surprised about how terrible that game looked.  I played the shit out of that game back in the day, and I could barely make out what was going on in some of the levels.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Casey said:

The new PS Plus rolled out today. I subbed for a month, gonna see how I like it. I've already streamed Split/Second and downloaded Infamous: First Light, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Bring Me the Moon and Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered. I'm probably going to end up keeping it. Not a lot in the way of PS1/PS2/PSP right now, but I'm not really bothered by that personally. I tried out Star Wars: Bounty Hunter and the controls are suuuuuper shit, maybe they always have been, I don't know.

I was shocked to see Ghosts of Tsushima was over 100GB apparently.  But that's another one I'm going to be downloading soon too, since I haven't played the DLC yet.

Split/Second! I love that game. So fun and chaotic. Needs a sequel. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 11:02 PM, Death From Above said:

Yeah count me on on those early 3D era games being just fucking hideous. I thought so at the time and time hasn't exactly been kind.

That's why so many of us were so disappointed in the FF8 "remaster", they really half-assed it and the ugly is just so much more obvious.

6 hours ago, JLSigman said:

That's why so many of us were so disappointed in the FF8 "remaster", they really half-assed it and the ugly is just so much more obvious.

Didn't they also fuck up the music in that thing? I seem to recall something about the Steam version of 8 having an inferior quality soundtrack to the original for some weird reason.

I never owned a Sega Genesis so no idea if any of these games added to Switch Online: Expansion Pack are any good. But at least they finally added some new Genesis games:

- Comix Zone
- Target Earth
- Zero Wing
- MEGA MAN: THE WILY WARS

Of course, people that used the Internet 20 years ago are very familar with Zero Wing, or at least the meme that was created from it.

Comix Zone was very good.  It's a brawler, but done in a neat way of going through a comic book instead of just straight horizontal scrolling.  Zero Wing was a decent enough 90's shmup where the Genesis version was easier than the arcade because of the auto fires.  Wily Wars is just a Genesis port of Mega Man 1-3 with a graphics and music upgrade.  Now, the trick with that will be if they fixed the fact that every version but the PAL suffered from massive slowdown because it wasn't close to optomised for NTSC's refresh rate opposed to the PAL.  

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
16 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Comix Zone was very good.  It's a brawler, but done in a neat way of going through a comic book instead of just straight horizontal scrolling.  Zero Wing was a decent enough 90's shmup where the Genesis version was easier than the arcade because of the auto fires.  Wily Wars is just a Genesis port of Mega Man 1-3 with a graphics and music upgrade.  Now, the trick with that will be if they fixed the fact that every version but the PAL suffered from massive slowdown because it wasn't close to optomised for NTSC's refresh rate opposed to the PAL.  

I thought the Japanese version ran okay, as did the Sega Channel version? I remember reading that most people who were experiencing slowdown were due to emulating the PAL version/putting the PAL version on reproduction carts and not expecting the differences between PAL and NTSC formats. Or maybe it was that Gaming Historian video I watched on the subject where I heard that.

That sounds right, as the NTSC ROM wasn't available for a while (due to it only being Sega Channel and no one being able to make a dump).  

I know the reason for no NA physical release back then was specifically because they couldn't get the refresh rate right (until the Sega Channel release, which I have no idea how they fixed it there).

Edited by Raziel

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Raziel said:

That sounds right, as the NTSC ROM wasn't available for a while (due to it only being Sega Channel and no one being able to make a dump).  

I know the reason for no NA physical release back then was specifically because they couldn't get the refresh rate right (until the Sega Channel release, which I have no idea how they fixed it there).

I went back and re-watched the Gaming Historian video, and the North American release was held to be a Sega Channel exclusive according to the info he was able to find. There were issues with bugs in the production of the game but nothing that prevented a release.

That does line up, since Japan is a NTSC region, so if the refresh rate works on the Japanese version it would work on the North American version as well. The only change needed would be the translation.

That said, Norm also mentions that there is a lot of slowdown during scenes where there is a lot of action on screen no matter what version you're playing, so it's likely two separate complaints that get merged together when people talk about the game.

For the eight of you that still yearn for XBOX 360 games, Microsoft announced this today:

wrRPV1z.png

It makes sense, I mean not only were there a finite number of games worth/able to be brought over, but at some point they were bound to move on anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If you have Amazon Prime, "Maniac Mansion" is a freebie this month.  Claim with their app or through Twitch.

There are a bunch of other games free due to Prime Day but outside of a couple of the Fighting games - I don't recognize any of the titles besides Maniac Mansion

This time next week stuff like Mass Effect Legendary Edition, GRID Legends, Need For Speed: Heat, Jedi Academy, Jedi Outcast, Republic Commando and "other unannounced games" will be free through Amazon Prime too. In case anyone forgot.

• 2 weeks later...