DVDVR Message Board

2022 Game Deals, Subscriptions Etc.

RIPPA

Really interested to see the pricing and what is offered right out of the gate. It seems it is clear they won't match the GamePass offerings of AAA titles Day 1, so it has to have another hook if it is going to match them in price. I have PS Now already but I got it super cheap, curious to see what comes out of this.

Just to put it in its own post (Spoilers for size)

Spoiler

Our focus is on providing high-quality, curated content with a diverse portfolio of games*. Below is an overview of the three membership tiers:

PlayStation Plus Essential

• Benefits
    • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
      • Two monthly downloadable games
      • Exclusive discounts
      • Cloud storage for saved games
      • Online multiplayer access
    • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.

• Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
    • United States
      • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly 
    • Japan
      • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra

• Benefits
    • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly 
    • Japan
      • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium** 

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
      • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
      • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations 
    • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.*** 
    • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly 
    • Japan
      • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

*Local pricing may vary by market. PlayStation Plus catalog titles may also vary by market and tier, and may change over time. PlayStation Plus is an ongoing subscription subject to a recurring subscription fee taken automatically until cancellation. Age restrictions apply.  Terms apply: play.st/psplus-usageterms 

**Current markets where PlayStation Now is available: US, Canada, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden.

***PC streaming is not available in Japan at launch and will be supported in a future update.

Edited by RIPPA
Forgot to include footnotes

Important note that it launches in June. At least they kept the discount for purchasing it for the year, $10 a month isn't bad for the highest tier. I'll probably end up getting it since I have no self control, although I'd like to see a list of games first to get an idea of what will be offered. This is a good sign though (from Sony): "At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal."

Depends on the library of games they have for premium for me, obviously. But I haven't been subscribed to PS Plus for a few months now, because 1) I don't play any multiplayer games that require it (Fortnite doesn't) and 2) the free monthly games haven't interested me or I already own what they're offering.

Case in point: PS Plus for April is Slay the Spire, Hood: Outlaws & Legends and a Spongebob Squarepants game. That is not worth $10 a month. I know Slay the Spire is a technically good game, and a lot of people like it, but I'm not interested (same thing for the other two) so... another month without PS+ for me, I guess.

Yea the game list is of course key. Extra has "up to 400" games, does that mean at launch it has 200 and then 10 are added a month for the next couple years, and how are those game chosen. Same with the "up to 340" more games for Premium. I am not a big fan of the "up to" condition thrown in there but we won't know for sure how liberal they are being with their language for a couple months.

I've had PS+ since I got my PS4 in 2015 and it came with a year of it. Since then, I've just hunted for annual subs deals since they usually pop up during the year. I agree that most of the games are meh except for when the pandemic started up. Plus the PS4 games you got for having a PS5 are pretty cool since I didn't buy a lot of those because I wasn't playing that many games at the time.

With that said, I don't know if I'll update it to the new tier(s) when it starts up I have a pretty gnarly backlog as it is. I do think it'll be cool for people who are just starting out. It also might be the perfect gift for a relative to give to kids. I know I got my nephews a Game Pass sub in 2020 since I figured it'd be a better purchase than just one game or a gift card.

Now if only PS+ could fix their shit with EA and Ubisoft so you can link EA and Ubi accounts to PS+ Sub-accounts for Multiplayer (ESPECIALLY UBISOFT since 90% of their non-AC shit requires online which is inaccessable to PS+ Sub accounts, but EA;s pretty bad with it too)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, RIPPA said:

Bugsnax (along with its new DLC) will be hitting Game Pass on April 28

Now everyone can experience the fuckedupness

I downloaded it when I got my PS5 at launch and never touched it. That might be my weekend adventure (when not forcing my way through finishing FF7 Remake).

PS Plus for May is likely FIFA 2022, Curse of the Dead Gods and Tribes of Midgard (PS4/PS5)

Yet another month I'm not going to renew my sub, so it looks like I'm waiting until June when the new PS Plus launches.

Reportedly Sony is requiring Playstation game developers to include a timed trial on all new games. This would be for those who subscribe to the PlayStation Plus Premium Tier

As reported by Game Developer, Sony has reached out recently to PlayStation game developers with information about a new program that will bring timed game trials to PlayStation Plus Premium subscribers when it launches in most places in June. In the notice, Sony laid out a plan that detailed how game trials will work for upcoming releases.

Any game with a $34 wholesale price (not retail) will support this feature and have to let subscribers play for at least two hours before making a purchasing decision. Games under the $34 wholesale mark would not be required to support this feature, and the mandate isn’t retroactive for titles already on the PlayStation Store nor does it apply to PlayStation VR games.

The $34 wholesale price would mean that trials would be applicable to games that would sell a little above that, which means that this mainly applies to software at or just below the full $59.99 or $69.99 retail price. For example, Sifu wouldn’t have required a demo since it retails at $39.99, but Dying Light 2, a $59.99 title, would have.

Sony stated in its documentation that it is open to custom demos rather than full game trials, although it will have to approve such releases on a case-by-case basis. Publishers and developers are also still free to set up other trial periods such as free weekends in order to promote their releases to everyone on the platform. There is some leeway with trials, too, as developers will have three months after launch to prepare one. Trials also only have to be up for at least 12 months. However, there is still some concern with smaller teams that don’t quite have the size or budget to work on this extra feature.

It's still weird to me that the only Sony console not to have the download option is the PS3. Like, there's no chance I'm doing cloud streaming for a game because my internet connection isn't good enough for that. I get dips in quality and (recently) freezing if I just watch HBO Max or YouTube on my TV/console.

The PS3 is a hard console to emulate, and there's no built software or chip emulator built into the PS4/5, so streaming PS3 games are the only option.  The PS3 generation games that ended up on the store were straight ports, not emulated stuff like the "Classics" line was on the 3.