DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/19/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I don't know. I kind of love and hate Cody in equal measure. 

Like, he's a heel, but he's desperately trying to convince himself he's a babyface, and he's desperately trying to convince the fans he's a babyface, and he's so good at it that sometimes you have to cheer him even though your gut reaction is "fuck this guy", but I don't know how much of this is just head cannon.

Is this a masterfully booked slow burn heel turn or am I just trying to make sense of meandering tweener bullshit?

• Like 2

I love how you don't see Bryan, Punk and even before he was went into rehab, Moxley on every Dynamite or Rampage every week. AEW overall has done a good job featuring newer guys especially in the past year and a half. I also like how even alot of these guys they are building up like Dante Martin and the Acclaimed aren't these indie darling super workers you'd think would have the better chance of getting over with their built in fanbase they currently have. They've been taking their time building angles and building up people. I think guys like MJF and Sammy whom they've been building since day one of been on TV haven't reached the peek of there investment in them.  They still have a ton of work to do in many areas though. I like the idea someone said earlier about the Owen Hart invitational being AEWs version of the Super J Cup. I hope that's what that go for. A tournament mainly built around workrate and not so much advancing feuds. I don't know if we'll get so much workrate level out of the Women's Owen Cup unless we get alot of outside talent.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 9:02 AM, EVA said:

The RUMBLINGZ on Lio were that he asked for time off for family reasons back in December. But he worked NJPW this past weekend, and he has GCW coming up, so it seems like he’s ready to get back to work, but the Dante/Sydal/Lee promo last night sure seemed to indicate that he’s not expected back with AEW any time soon. So who knows what the story is there, for real.

He gone.

• Like 1

Lio was impressive in ring, but incredibly weak on the mic - specifically recalling that awful talk segment confronting Team Taz, but also pretty much everything he said on their TV.  He was discussed as a potential liability to the locker room due to his poor reputation.  This seemed to be confirmed by irrationally piggybacking online with the Swole bullshit rather than properly addressing the matter with the guy shining a spotlight on him and fuckin' paying him.  Seems like a positive step for AEW to let him take his ball elsewhere.  I'm sure there's a spot for him in the Minor League Wrestling locker room.  

• Like 2

Lio is one of those dudes who can be SO good but constantly seems to get in the way of his own potential success. I'm not going to speculate why that is, but I hope dude is alright and happy in the end. 

Meanwhile, I just want Darius Martin back. Dante's had a good singles run but Top Flight are better together IMO. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Khan has shown the ability to learn from mistakes but it doesn't look like that happened here. Couldn't disagree more with the above. 

I'm curious how your employer would respond to you taking your irrational complaint to the public arena.  Try it out and see.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It wasn't irrational and Tony was being an ass in public. 

Call me crazy, but it doesn't seem like sound strategy to call out your very generous and very reasonable employer on fucking twitter?  Whether or not Tony should or shouldn't have said what he did, he had every right to stand up for himself over an obvious (to anyone thinking rationally) bullshit situation.  Regardless, I see the argument as to why he shouldn't have said what he did.  I wouldn't suggest Lio shouldn't share his thoughts, but grandstanding online is clearly not a professional nor intelligent approach.  Unprofessional behaviour has or should have consequences.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I wouldn't suggest Lio shouldn't share his thoughts, but grandstanding online is clearly not a professional nor intelligent approach.  Unprofessional behaviour has or should have consequences.  

I don't think it's grandstanding. That implies he's doing it for show when he's obviously willing to lose serious income and exposure over such issues. He'll get labeled as impulsive and difficult to deal with, but it sure seems to me like he just wants Black people to be given their opportunities and treated fairly. Khan was unprofessional but because he has the power and wealth, it's okay. 

• Like 3

My take would be that I don't think we actually know why Rush is leaving AEW, and it seems kind of distasteful to speculate that it's about his personality, particularly considering that no details have been released. I'd also argue that neither side owes us any details. 

Anyway, word on the street is that Pretty Peter Avalon, Joey Janela, Brian Cage, and Marko Stunt are all working on soon to be expired and not yet renewed contracts. 

I'd assume Cage is the best bet for anyone who is hoping to hear trash talked about Tony Khan or AEW after their release. 

I enjoy watching all of those guys, Avalon in particular. I enjoyed watching Rush and Swole. I wouldn't mind seeing any of them back in AEW, permanently or as a one-off. I hope they all benefit from the exposure and experience, regardless of whether they are complimentary or critical on their way out the (forbidden) door.

I also think AEW will be just fine without them. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Anyway, word on the street is that Pretty Peter Avalon, Joey Janela, Brian Cage, and Marko Stunt are all working on soon to be expired and not yet renewed contracts. 

What's the ol' sauce/source on that one? They are the most obvious candidates tho. Still fearful for Chuck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I don't think it's grandstanding. That implies he's doing it for show when he's obviously willing to lose serious income and exposure over such issues. He'll get labeled as impulsive and difficult to deal with, but it sure seems to me like he just wants Black people to be given their opportunities and treated fairly. Khan was unprofessional but because he has the power and wealth, it's okay. 

It’s not because he has wealth and power, it’s because he started and owns the company.

If it was important for Rush to stand up for a pretty terrible wrestler that was dishonestly burying the company he worked for to make herself look better (after they’d allowed her to save face in the initial release) more power to him.

But all of the talent there should be aware that there is way more available talent than spots in AEW, so if you don’t deliver when you’re given opportunities,  or publicly make the company look bad, or embarrass your boss you are very easily replaced.

Keith Lee could easily show up on Wednesday (or whenever his 90 days are up) and people would quickly forget about Rush, for example.

• Like 3

It's not like they're cutting him. His contract is up, and given that he started in November it's clear it was a short-term thing to begin.

He was there for a few months, it didn't work out, and he moved on. That's how contracts work, in sports, entertainment, or just general life. Not every employee is a lifer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

I like the point you bring up. I like the idea of Lio Rush standing up for a community, but it's difficult not to consider Lio's reputation and previous conduct.  Seems to me twitter isn't quite the best place for 'helpful' energy.  I will say, and I certainly could be wrong, Lio here feels like the guy who shows up to the nice benevolent guy's incredibly fun and generous party and decides to break something or soil the mood to get ppl's attention.  Khan's 'power and wealth' is creating a lot of genuine happiness and he's more than earned the right to make the easy call of letting whichever wrestlers he chooses to go about their way.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

My take would be that I don't think we actually know why Rush is leaving AEW

I feel like this part needs to be underlined. Just because one event followed the other doesn’t mean that one caused the other. Lio was already MIA for unclear reasons before the Twitter thing, so this relationship may have run its course well before then. We don’t know what happened!

• Like 5

On 1/21/2022 at 12:07 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

Been thinking about him last night soliciting credit for doing what Punk threatened to do and how that promo works in concert with that time he wanted credit as the man who built this bank. I offer this up for you to sample as a newcomer to Codyworld. Trollololol

The haters may not like it, but craft is occurring and it's hitting the way it's meant to. The best right now.

He needs to save the heel turn BS for Busted Open.

17 hours ago, Gordlow said:

My take would be that I don't think we actually know why Rush is leaving AEW, and it seems kind of distasteful to speculate that it's about his personality, particularly considering that no details have been released. I'd also argue that neither side owes us any details. 

I agree that nobody owes us any details.  Who suggested they did?  That said, this board is clearly designed for thoughts and comments pertaining to wrestling.  A high percentage of those thoughts and comments are speculation. It would be distasteful to comment on this situation if the point of this site was to only present the facts. Lio piggybacked on false and shitty accusations that were reasonably very upsetting to Tony. As a fan, I have tremendous gratitude for what Tony has provided and accomplished. I would speculate that the guys being paid and given a regular platform feel an even greater affinity for the man.  And I would speculate a lot of ppl in the company weren't real pleased with Rush's comments. Those comments and Lio's history of troubling and erratic behaviour are more than fair to speculate as being the reason AEW decided not to resign him. I'm not suggesting this is a matter of fact. Perhaps, just speculating here, they just saw how hopeless he was on the mic? I mean clearly it's not an issue of in ring talent.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Just wanted to sneak in before this thread is closed to say how much I enjoyed Serena Deeb vs Skye Blue. On one level I was dreading the match for all the right reasons, namely that Skye is adorable and I didn't want to see her get destroyed. On a more analytical level, the match was perfect. Good stuff.

• Like 4