DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 1/14/2022

Dolfan in NYC

A boy and his dinosaur vs Hungee Silver and Alex Darkorder! A couple of years ago I had no idea who any of these dudes were. Now I know exactly what to expect out of this match-up (Fun. I expect a lot of fun here). Prediction? Johnny pops the crowd big time at least once. I'm not going to predict any bad guy shenanigans from another team wanting a shot at the titles, but don't quote me on that.

Legit Leyla!!!.(also A Cake and an Alien) vs Three mean ladies. Hirsch has totally gone from "Who?" (not Jim Neidhart) to one of my very favourites in a really short time. Prediction? Suplexes and nose-booping and cake-stirring and some dissention in the babyface ranks. 

Trent Gothislastnameback vs Adam Bay Bay. I know who these guys are cuz they useta wrestle in Japan. I live in Japan. Have I mentioned that before? Prediction? Stiffness. 

Shawn Spears vs Andrew Everett. Apparently Everett is making his debut and he wears a single shoulder singlet... and his nickname seems to actually be "the Giant" as in Andrew the Giant... which sets my expectations EXTREMELY high since Andre is in my all time top ten favourites, mostly for how insanely great he was working in Japan but also for a bunch of other stuff. I feel like I'm supposed to already know who Everett is but to be honest I have zero recollection of ever hearing his name before... Though maybe the singlet/nickname stuff is throwing me off? Is he an Impact guy? That would explain it. Don't really have time to get into Impact even though a lot of people say it's pretty good now. 

Prediction? Most likely some Wardlow/Punk/MJF storyline advancement here. But not necessarily, what with AEW's love of throwing the occasional curve ball.

Overall: Prediction? FUN!! (And you can quote me on that).

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, eikerir said:

This show should be a blast, I enjoy watching about 90% of the talent pictured.

I hope they keep the interference and shenanigans to a minimum, or at least after the matches. I could see a series of run-ins in all but the 6-woman match (which will be fun but also is naturally going to focus on/advance the Statlander-Hirsch angle).

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1

I say this about at least one match every week but Trent/Cole could be a sneakily good one. I avoid spoilers so no one correct me if wrong, but I could totally see Trent going over, maybe via shenanigans maybe not. They've been getting their asses handed to them in most of these segments. Obviously, this isn't the blowoff, but I could see a little evening of the score.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I say this about at least one match every week but Trent/Cole could be a sneakily good one. I avoid spoilers so no one correct me if wrong, but I could totally see Trent going over, maybe via shenanigans maybe not. They've been getting their asses handed to them in most of these segments. Obviously, this isn't the blowoff, but I could see a little evening of the score.

Cole made a huge point about his undefeated record as a singles wrestlers in AEW and not having been pinned or submitted even in tags. Since AEW doesn't seem to mind using the same angle with 2-3 wrestlers at a time, I could see them having a great match and then the Bucks causing Cole to be DQ'd, handing him his first singles loss.

• Like 1

Is Everett really doing a "Giant" gimmick?  If so, that's hilarious.  Dude is billed at 5'9" and probably isn't that tall.

I feel like I've seen about 320 Everett matches and 319 of them were either against Trevor Lee/Cameron Grimes or had him tagging with Lee.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Is Everett really doing a "Giant" gimmick?  If so, that's hilarious.  Dude is billed at 5'9" and probably isn't that tall.

I feel like I've seen about 320 Everett matches and 319 of them were either against Trevor Lee/Cameron Grimes or had him tagging with Lee.

I've only seen one or two recent matches of his but yeah, he's working a "little guy who thinks he's big" gimmick.  Everett is up there with Dalton Castle as an indy guy who was poised to hit it big but got sidetracked and never really got back to where he was going to be.  I remember a three way in PWG in 2014 featuring the aforementioned Trevor Lee, and Cedric Alexander.  Yes, they just bought a package match from North Carolina  ?  Anyway, it was a great match that spotlighted Everett's high flying and flippydoos and it was really obvious this was meant to be his coming out party and that he'd be booked more.   Then Everett got injured, sort of stopped being a high flyer, and I never saw much out of him since then until I heard he'd been doing some shots for Impact.  Meanwhile Trevor Lee became the guy who kept getting booked by PWG after that match, really learned his character and how to get over, and now works for WWE. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

He's the Son of Andre, bro. In Deadlock, he is booked as hailing from Grenoble. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

He's the Son of Andre, bro. In Deadlock, he is booked as hailing from Grenoble. 

Ah, so obviously him being booked is a case of nepotism.  Paul Wight looking out for his little brother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I feel like I better google Everett and verify these "Son of Andre" claims.  I didn't google Paul Wight until 2012 or so, and, well, as the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

(I wish I was making that up.  I legitimately believed Paul Wright was Andre's son until somewhere around 2012-2014)

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Haha 2

I don't wanna be controversial but in my opinion Everett didn't wrestle that match much like Andre.

Cole vs The Artist Formerly Known As ? was a NASTY opening match. Didn't expect Trent to take so many neck bumps.

Acclaimed 's diss track video was pretty funny.

Penelope's braids looked  really nice. As did the alien lady's powerslam and everything she did from the hawt tag through the spider crab.

Ah one

Ah two

Ah skiddly diddly do!

IT'S!!

TIME!!

for the

MAIN!!

EVENT!!

MAMA MIA!! That tope/suplex combo, that 4-storey tower suplex... that hawt nearfall!!

(eeeeeehhhh, that finisher....)

I predicted fun.

adam-cole-boom.gif

BOOM! Gordstradamus strikes AGAIN.

Edited by Gordlow
that hawt nearfall!!
  • Like 5

Oh man, that main event was a hoot.  I loves the 2.999999999999999999999999999999999999999 nearfall by Jungle Boy.  Jon Silver and Alan Reynolds were awesome.  If I could actually see Penelope Ford in the picture in picture, I would note that she is the best wrestler in AEW~~!  I noted that Bunny and Ford are even harder edged now since the match that made them.  Leyla Hirsch is so annoyed and evil!  JAY LETHAL vs RICKY STARKS!  YES! YAY! AEW ROCKS! 

• Like 10

Wow, now we are cooking.

Barretta is in great shape, which of course helps if you keep on getting your ass kicked like that.

Spears made some decent points on his promo and did solidify the fact that Punk is hanging by a thread to his prime.

Penelope is crazy limber, and yeah Bunny is just crazy. Nyla did most of the ass-kicking though. Hirsch is having legit attitude problems.

Some of the tag team sequences in the main event were just insane.

Good stuff. Oh, and I should be offended by Goth Phase by The Acclaimed, but I like both Goth and Hip Hop so I guess I'm fine with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1