DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, First Quarter 2022

Elsalvajeloco

Meltzer:

After Ryan Bader beat Valentin Moldavsky in the Bellator heavyweight title unification match last night in Phoenix, it was announced he would defend his title next on 5/6 in Paris, France against Cheick Kongo. Bader won the fight via unanimous decision.on straight 48-47 scores, but media had it 63-37 percent in favor of Moldavsky, so it was a close fight. Benson Henderson won a split decision over Islam Mamedov. Mamedov had won 19 in a row. Henderson said he wasn't sure if this was his last fight or not. He said it was the last fight of his Bellator contract.

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Meltzer:

After Ryan Bader beat Valentin Moldavsky in the Bellator heavyweight title unification match last night in Phoenix, it was announced he would defend his title next on 5/6 in Paris, France against Cheick Kongo. Bader won the fight via unanimous decision.on straight 48-47 scores, but media had it 63-37 percent in favor of Moldavsky, so it was a close fight. Benson Henderson won a split decision over Islam Mamedov. Mamedov had won 19 in a row. Henderson said he wasn't sure if this was his last fight or not. He said it was the last fight of his Bellator contract.

I watched the Bellator card on DVR late, late Saturday night/almost Sunday morning.

Both of those fights were really close but it's damage versus control. Nowadays, judges don't really score fights for wrestlers or even grapplers who get the takedown unless the person on bottom basically does nothing. That's pretty much eliminated lay and pray type fights. Bader won a fight that 10 years ago would have been scored the other way. Same for Benson. That said, based on his performance, Benson probably should just hang it up and become a coach. He didn't look super washed up, but he could have been easily looking at 6 (I think the streak was 5) losses in row.

• Like 1

FINKgS8XwAQDPcv.jpg?1641244040

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 58: Hermansson vs. Strickland
February 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Jack Hermansson (185.5) vs. Sean Strickland (185.5) - Strickland, DEC (split)
Punahele Soriano (185)vs. Nick Maximov (185) - Maximov, DEC (split)
Shavkat Rakhmonov (170.5) vs. Carlston Harris (169) - Rakhmonov, KO (spinning hook kick and punches), R1 (4:10)
Sam Alvey (205) vs. Brendan Allen (205) - Allen, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:10)
Tresean Gore (186) vs. Bryan Battle (185.5) - Battle, DEC (unanimous)
Julian Erosa (145.5) vs. Steven Peterson (149)* - Erosa, DEC (split)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Miles Johns (136) vs. John Castañeda (135.5) - Castañeda, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (1:38)
Hakeem Dawodu (146) vs. Mike Trizano (145.5) - Dawodu, DEC (unanimous)
Chidi Njokuani (185)vs. Marc-André Barriault (184.5) - Njokuani, KO (punches), R1 (0:16)
Alexis Davis (135) vs. Julija Stoliarenko (135.5) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)
Jailton Almeida (203) vs. Danilo Marques (205.5) - Almeida, TKO (punches), R1 (2:57)
Jason Witt (171) vs. Philip Rowe (170.5) - Rowe, TKO (punches), R2 (2:15)
Malcolm Gordon (126) vs. Denys Bondar (125) - Gordon, SUB (arm injury), R1 (1:22)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight  

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Chidi Njokuani
Performance of the NightShavkat Rakhmonov
Fight of the Night: Julian Erosa vs. Steven Peterson    

Sam Alvey is 0-6-1 in his last 7 fights, with his last win coming June of 2018. he has to be a big underdog (edit: currently +310) against Allen, and i can't see him lasting much longer. then again, i've been saying this since his third consecutive loss (and that was july 2019!)

Edited by twiztor
added odds

34 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Sam Alvey is 6-0-1 in his last 7 fights, with his last win coming June of 2018. he has to be a big underdog (edit: currently +310) against Allen, and i can't see him lasting much longer. then again, i've been saying this since his third consecutive loss (and that was july 2019!)

I think you mean 0-6-1 because I don't remember the last time Alvey won.

But yeah, I thought Alvey was gone at a couple times now. Matter of fact, there are about three fighters or more that normally would have been cut under regular circumstances. There are folks still on the roster who haven't won since UFC was still doing shows on Fox which was 3 or 4 years ago now.

just finished watching Eagld FC 44 from last weekend or whatever.

not much positive to say about this event. Henry Cejudo sucks as a commentator. Chael carried that broadcast team, tho one Kamaru joined he was pretty good too.

most fights were a grinding decision. 40+ y/o Kharitonov didn't look great but still got a pretty easy win in the main event. Rashad Evans easily wrestled a 30-27 win against a guy who inexplicably kept going for leg locks that were nowhere near working. the big hyped prospect Ramazan Kuramagomedov won an easy boring decision against John "Doomsday" Howard, whose heyday was 10 years ago. also, Ray Borg was on the card (he last won via stoppage in 2015) so you can guess how that went.

don't go out of your way to watch this. and again, Cejudo sucks as a commentator and interviewer.

Re: Kharitonov

I think everyone should feel old because I still remember when he showed up in PRIDE and knocked out like Semmy Schilt or someone and the commentators were talking about how he's the future of the HW division because he was a HW in his early to mid 20s.

The man is 41 now. And not like a youthful, spry 41. He's a combat sports 41 with a bunch of miles on his body.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

UFC 271 thread here or does it get its own?

I’ll be there!

So jealous! Have a great time.

I only realised in the first Embedded video that, not only is Bobby Knuckles an avid Soulsborne fan too (he mentioned in a recent interview), but he lives about 20km from me. We probably unwittingly passed each other at the local Penrith Plaza shopping mall. Even with all that, I’m still an unapologetic Izzy fanboy, but can’t deny it’ll be a bigger challenge this time around. 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1