DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

The Control Center this morning didn't just hype the established matches but also had a few "check-ins" with people like the Dark Order and the Varsity Athletes stemming from last week.

Not sure if it's just because we're in a weird Nothing-Announced-For-Rampage week or if this is a new way to enhance the control center:

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

EDIT: They could honestly have something merch/buzz-wise with Cutler if they ran with him a bit right now, I think.

They already missed their chance to cash in on "Let's Go Brandon"

I didn't have power for a week from Hurricane Ian and have just caught up on a few weeks worth of Dark/Elevation, including the past two shows. 

My main takeaway is I love this Dalton Castle guy and his ridiculous entourage. I have no idea what the deal is but he plays to the cameras great and has some good moves. 

Action Andretti vs QT Mar-shall had me buying the nearfalls, and I thought Andretti had a nice promo afterwards. 

Still new to Toni Storm but she seems to be a way more suitable champ than Rosa. Happy that Emi Sakura got a long match, she's been a Dark MVP. Really hoping Jamie Hayter takes off though.

Daddy Magic remains the man at commentary.

I still rarely watch Dynamite since I don't have cable but I love these YouTube shows. They get pretty good numbers so I don't understand why people sleep on them. My main complaint past few weeks is not enough Angelico. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, JLowe said:

They already missed their chance to cash in on "Let's Go Brandon"

Oh, no, that's unfortunately still very much a thing.  The crowd could always just chant "Let's go Cutler!" but it could also depend on the place.  But I still miss D&D Brandon though don't know how much people would care about that if he tried it again.

13 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

My main complaint past few weeks is not enough Angelico. 

That's my wife pretty much every week he's not on for...reasons.  But I would love to see more of him on the shows.

Elevation looks pretty great if cagematch.net CAN BE BELIEVED!

Tag Team Match
Jeremy Prophet & Jessica Leary vs. Kip Sabian & Penelope Ford
Singles Match
Frankie Kazarian vs. Matt Blackman
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Jay Lethal & Satnam Singh (w/Sonjay Dutt) vs. Dylan Davis & Junior Benito
Tag Team Match

10 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Tag Team Match

It can, someone posted pics on Twitter.

The one I can't wait to see most is the Jody Threat match, also Ass vs Bollywood Boys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, porksweats said:

It can, someone posted pics on Twitter.

The one I can't wait to see most is the Jody Threat match, also Ass vs Bollywood Boys

WORD!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

I still rarely watch Dynamite since I don't have cable but I love these YouTube shows. They get pretty good numbers so I don't understand why people sleep on them. My main complaint past few weeks is not enough Angelico. 

Stevie, I'd like you to meet our friend @Matt D.

I think you two will get along swimmingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

The entrance video had Austin and Colten as just "The Gunns". No idea if that's a permanent change or if somebody else owns the trademark to "Gunn Club" in Canada.

They explained this on Unrestricted today. I think Austin never liked the name. It was just something decided on a whim and they never really put any thought into it and didn't love the Bullet Club comparison and now that there's only two of them it's not a Club anymore and they're going with just the Gunns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They explained this on Unrestricted today. I think Austin never liked the name. It was just something decided on a whim and they never really put any thought into it and didn't love the Bullet Club comparison and now that there's only two of them it's not a Club anymore and they're going with just the Gunns.

I didn't know until today that three was the minimum number for a club.

51 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I didn't know until today that three was the minimum number for a club.

They were the Gunn Club when it was just Austin/Billy so let's just assume Billy was the Club's leader and these Gunns are flying for hire now

Man. DARK looks good ,too, IF CAGEMATCH ISN'T LYING!

Spoiler
Singles Match
Singles Match
Eight Man Tag Team Match
The Dark Order (Alex Reynolds, Evil Uno, John Silver & Ten) vs. George Gianno, Shane Hof, Tyler Tirva & Zach Patterson
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Six Man Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Lance Archer vs. Isaiah Brown
Singles Match
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Emi Sakura & Serena Deeb vs. KC Spinelli & Taylor Rising
Singles Match

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 3:20 PM, DEAN said:

Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Tag Team Match

On 10/14/2022 at 9:21 AM, DEAN said:

Man. DARK looks good ,too, IF CAGEMATCH ISN'T LYING!

Hide contents
Singles Match
Singles Match
Eight Man Tag Team Match
The Dark Order (Alex Reynolds, Evil Uno, John Silver & Ten) vs. George Gianno, Shane Hof, Tyler Tirva & Zach Patterson
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Six Man Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Lance Archer vs. Isaiah Brown
Singles Match
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Emi Sakura & Serena Deeb vs. KC Spinelli & Taylor Rising
Singles Match

Cagematch ought to be believed. Without spoiling any fun I will share that, live, the closing moments that I caught of Threat-Athena seemed thrilling with the incredible heat. Starks-Comoroto was also of note. But mainly due to Ricky Starks star presence. If I didn't already feel it, seeing Ricky live suggests to me the boosters are right about his Main Event potential. Also, impressive to see Brandon Cutler take a disappointed crowd (from hearing the Elite theme but getting Cutler instead of an Omega or a Buck or two) to getting behind him for his fucking awesome gimmick. I wouldn't have thought this schtick would be conducive to a babyface role, but Cutler's bringing the goods. Also, the 'Gunns' and the Bollywoods had a moment or two worth checking out. Other than that... I can't say I didn't enjoy most of the action, but I wonder if they'd ever consider amping up the pre-Rampage 2 hour Dark tapings with a few more generous competitive offerings. As was I think I got a 'taste' (as Daddy Magic might say) of what a 'WWF Superstars of Wrestling' taping was like back in the day.  

• Like 2

All right!  It's more Canadian AEW!  Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford have a match they do now and I DIG IT!  Jeremy PROFFITT gets in some stuff!  Jessica something gets in some stuff!  DOUBLE ANARCHIST SUPLEXES after a wacky LUNGBLOWER combination by the Sabians!  Frankie Kazarian just exercised OPTION C with the X Division belt!  Hey, his match with Mike Bailey is talked about.  Daddy Magic doesn't like Speedball so TO HELL WITH SPEEDBALL!  Matt Blackmon is fun.  He owns a great heel face.  AWESOME! JODY THREAT!  They should definitely sign her to ROH.  Athena will make her look like a million bucks.  JODY chants abound!  Threat hits a SWEET Psicosis Bump.  ATHENA TURNS HEEL!  She is SO AWESOME!  ATHENA IS FUCKING AWESOME THROWING THREAT OVER THE TOPROPE!  ATHENA HITS A FUCKING NASTY SUWA DROPKICK ON THE FLOOR!  NEARFALL BY JODY!  Athena finally puts her under.  Athena made Jody Threat look fucking great.  That was awesome. Athena is the best wrestler in AEW.  The Voros Twins!  They are going to get beaten to death by the Butcher and the Blade.  And they are beaten to death by the Butcher and the Blade.  Satnam Singh and Jay Lethal and Sanjay Dutt are AT ODDS!  Satnam looks fucking great.  Oh cool!  It's Madison Rayne and Skye Blue!  Against Emi Sakura and Serena Deeb!  Skye Blue becomes our sympathetic babyface!  She gets the hell beat outta her!  I'm remembering that Madison Rayne has almost always been a heel.  I think that's why she doesn't get the crowd into it on the apron.  That was good.  The BOLLYWOOD BOYZ!  WITH A Z BECAUSE THEY ARE STREET!  Daddy Magic hates the Bollywood Boys from way back SO THE BOLLYWOOD BOYZ CAN GOT TO HELL!  It's the Gunns!  They haven't wrestled in a while.  The Ass Boys are bumping heels and so old school.  Austin Gunn is SUCH a fucking HEAT MACHINE!  Austin is so fucking great.  DOUBLE INVERTED ATOMIC DROPS!  ASS BOYS HIT THE FUCKING BIG RIG!  So fucking great.  I am SO ready for FTR vs the Gunns.  Daddy Magic is a joy forever.

• Like 6

We get Dark in 30 mins. I'm probably going to wait til my commute on Thursday to watch it though.

I did catch Elevation this morning.

• Penelope and Kip work together and I am kind of into Kip's "dodging" style of getting and keeping advantages. I imagine that they're told not to interact with one another in the same way as Sammy/Tay or even close, but I would like a little more interaction between the two. In general, Penelope seems vaguely amused by Kip, like a kid watching a spider in the corner. They need to workshop a bit more.
  • Kazarian had a match.
  • Athena vs Jody Threat was a hell of a thing. I am really interested in getting heel Athena. She's got a ton of attitude and personality in general, but especially as a heel. I've talked about the Thunder Rosa match from earlier this year but it was a revelation for me when it came to her. They beat the crap out of each other. It was basically Threat's moment of her wrestling life and she made the most of it.
  • Butcher and Blade also beat the crap out of the Voros twins. I liked the Bunny pop on the choking. Ian trying to explain the Voros twins to Menard and Wight did not go well.
  • The Satnam match was pretty awesome. Wight was so happy to see him wrestle and he just tossed people around. He's 26. If his body holds up over the next year or so I think we might get something amazing. Lethal's expressions throughout were good. Part of me is kind of worried Final Battle, if it happens, is leading to Jericho defending against Lethal.
  • Deeb/Emi vs Skye/Madison was really good too. I like how it sort of built to a Deeb vs Rayne exchange. Emi got in and out with her stuff. Deeb wanted nothing to do with the tea but she was kind of grooving to the queen stomps on the apron, like she was bobbing to some cool jazz. It was funny. She's fumbled her finish the last couple of weeks which is really not like her. Kind of strange.
  • Gunns looked as good as I've ever seen them vs Bollywood Boyz. Not sure if they're working with someone on the side or if the Bollywood Boyz are just really good.
  • Menard does the gimmick well, maybe even unconsciously, focusing on poses and catching the camera and other sports entertainer-y things. So far it's been code for "cheating" except for with how over the top Anna is. So it's good to see/hear. I thought Ian did ok throwing things to his partners here. It isn't quite as fun as Excalibur/Menard on their own but it still worked well.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

• Gunns looked as good as I've ever seen them vs Bollywood Boyz. Not sure if they're working with someone on the side or if the Bollywood Boyz are just really good.

The Bollywood Boyz are really just that good. Definitely a highlight of the 205 Alumni

• Like 2