DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

Terry Kid, the man with "American Bastard" on his trunks, appeared to be doing some sort of "Young Terry Funk" gimmick, judging by his attire. It's like an American version of Men's Teioh's old Terry Boy gimmick.

He got squished like a fly though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Sorry I'm late!  A lot of little things added up to me being SQUEAKY CLEAN and 45 minutes late!  Hey!  It's Marina Shafir!  Sio Nieves is new to me.  She is wee.  Marina does JOINT MANIPULATION!  Marina does a slight variation on her usual finisher!  Hey!  It's AR Fox!  It's Ari Diavari!  This should be good.  Parker Boudreax CHEATS!  Nice Spinning Brainbuster by Fox!  Fox does neat things to set up a STUNNER!  And a CUTTER!  This match is good.  MORE CUTTERS! FOR TWO!  Diavari LOWBLOWS FOX!  FOR THE WIN!  Hell, get AR Fox to join the Trustbusters.  Josh Woods!  He's a freak.  Tony Nese is really good.  It's Invictus Khash and Rohit Raju!  Khash and Raju would be a good addition to the IMPACT! tag situation.  They don't last long on DARK.  FREYA THE SLAYAH!  ALASKA'S FINEST!  It's Abadon again!  Abadon whips out a Rana!  FRANKENSTEINER BY ABADON!  Abadon bumps BIG onto the steel steps!  This is an actual match.  BLACK DAHLIA!  Abadon is so athletic suddenly.  That was good.  Are the Renegade Twins signed to a special DARK contract?  They are always on the STICK! on DARK.  Holy shit!  Blake Christian versus Slim J!  This should be good.  This match is an indie main event.  Slim J is making Blake look like a million bucks.  SONNY KISS CHEATS!  AND CHEATS AGAIN!  Slim J throws GREAT punches.  Slim J takes the springboard Lariat like a CHAMP!  Slim J's finishing sequence is awesome!  That was really good.  It's Eli Isom!  Cezar Bononi!  He hits a big Beel!  Then he does a very elaborate set up against Not Isom to set up Nemeth's comical finisher.  Parker Boudreaux CRUSHES Terry Kidd, who I'm not familiar with.  Skye Blue takes on Robyn Renegade!  Renegade attacks from behind!  Charlett distracts Blue allowing Robyn to dropkick her off the apron!  Robyn lays in the chops!  Skye Blue lays in the chops!  Robyn takes the Flying Headscissors like Buster Keaton in 1925 and I now LOVE this match.  Skye Blue with the Flatliner!  That was good.  It's Not Bear Country!  Gordlow weeps quietly to himself.  JT Davidson channels Vickie Guerrero.  Bronson is so wee now.  Morales is teeny.  Boulder out Keith Lees Keith Lee by hitting an INSANE Beel.  This is an ACTUAL squash of Morales.  Dante Martin and Matt Sydel take on the Workhorsemen!  This should be good.   They set up this match with the singles match last week.  Martin starts off SPECTACULAR early.  Anthiny Henry with the El Hijo del Santo Neck Crank!  JD Drake applies a Spinning Toe Hold!  For a second!  Drake lays in the chops!  Matt Sydel gets the crowd behind his STRUGGLE to escape the 1980s offense of the Workhorsemen!  Workhorsemen make this a TRUE Southern tag match by dragging Martin off the apron right before Sydel can make the hot tag!   GREAT PILEDRIVER ON THE FLOOR that Martin does a total RVD sell of.  Henry is a HEAT MACHINE! by taunting Sydel while Martin is still CRUSHED by the Piledriver.  Anthony Henry is Piledriver CRAZY!  Dante MAKES IT TO THE APRON and MAKES THE HOT TAG!  Nice Lariat by Martin.  Nice Powerbomb by Henry.  Drake hits a very beautiful Moonsault to NOWHERE!  NOSEDIVE!  That was great!  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

DEAN~!, I know how much you love and have a passionate enthusiasm for wrestling and can make even the most feeble card sound entertaining. But hot damn, this sounds like a great show and I’m going to find time in my busy work schedule to watch this one. Obviously I love Dante, Skye Blue, Wingmen, and Workhorsemen but I also like Khash-Raju, Blake Christian, and the Renegades so this one sounds like a home run.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

DEAN~!, I know how much you love and have a passionate enthusiasm for wrestling and can make even the most feeble card sound entertaining. But hot damn, this sounds like a great show and I’m going to find time in my busy work schedule to watch this one. Obviously I love Dante, Skye Blue, Wingmen, and Workhorsemen but I also like Khash-Raju, Blake Christian, and the Renegades so this one sounds like a home run.

Oh, it's great!  Five good matches.

• Like 1

This was quite the overachieving episode of Dark really. It was the tail end of the taping and Trustbusters heavy, but when the action is good, the action is good, right?

• Shafir is weirdly at both her best and her worst when her matches feel really uncooperative. I know that's a paradox but let me put it this way: the individual spots, like a fight over a takedown might be pretty compelling but the overall effect doesn't always make for a complete-feeling match.
  • Davari vs Fox was something else, way over the top. Ari gave a ton and looked like a complete doofus in victory and being hyped up by his crew. It was probably the third most giving performance in AEW this year after Nese vs Cassidy and MJF vs Wardlow made even funnier by the fact he won. By the third stunner and/or cutter, I was cracking up.
  • They probably needed to give the Woods/Nese match a little more time to breathe and tease just a little more Khash/Raju dissension to get over the story. The flip side is that even doing so probably wouldn't have engaged people more with it, so maybe no point, right?
  • Abadon vs States was kind of wild. I'm ready for super tecnico monster Abadon, but is the world? States based for her well.
  • Christian vs Slim J was weird for me as it was all Slim J, who has super tricked out offense taking all of Christian's kind of tricked out offense and making him look beastly. The studio audience really does like Christian. Taz was very much bemused that Slim J had a submission finisher.
  • Wingmen vs Isom/Farrow was a good Bononi showcase. Which is a little problematic for a reason I'll get to in a minute. Basically we had three out of four matches with big beales/beels/biels in a row and nothing could live up to the Bononi/Isom one which came first. Nemeth really needs to rethink his act. I get that there's a place for a guy like him on paper, but next to Avalon, Drake, Bononi he just doesn't add a lot with the current bad-on-purpose act. If you're going to be bad-on-purpose you have to be REALLY bad. Avalon gets it! Cutler gets it! Nemeth is only mediocre-on-purpose which is not a good thing!
  • Bordeaux needed to through the guy farther. When we talk about how many good matches are on Dark, as DEAN did above, you can't discount stuff like Parker just destroying JVSK's platter for absolutely no reason and Taz going nuts over it. That's as much of the charm as the matches being good.
  • Skye Blue vs Robyn Renegade was not as good as Skye Blue vs Trish Adora. Needed one more rotation towards the end maybe? Some things seemed a half second late. That's generally ok if the end result is Skye kneeing someone in the face but it still felt a little off.
  • They should let Acclaimed overcome the Iron Savages soon. I don't think they've changed quite enough stuff with the new name, but at the same time, nothing was broken, except for the fact that they came off almost too likable, maybe?
  • Main event was really good. Permanent tape good. A little bit of high flying shine and then heat, heat, and more heat on Sydal. I loved Dante blocking Drake's press up into the ropes whack right at the start (as he'd felt it before). Henry being a jerk and pretending like he was going to get a hot tag from Sydal after they took Dante out with the pile driver on the floor was really good. Finishing stretch was hot and clever. Everyone should watch this one.

One of the best studio Darks in a while. And not just for Tax and Excalibur talking about jets and stuff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Hey! (EW)" is generally funny though it really depends on the guest.  In this case there were three fools who just went completely off the rails and damn was it funny stuff.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

Sorry I'm late!  I had to wash dishes and then I had to take a shower and take out the garbage!  Now I'm ready for some Elevation ACTION!  It's Hikaru Shida!  It's Erica Leigh!  Leigh looked good, enhancement-wise.  It's Lance Archer.  Where have I seen Papadon?  Papadon gets some stuff in.  I'm so glad Daddy Magic is back.  That was good.  Oh awesome. Trish Adora!  It's Emi Sakura!  Emi likes to tell a little story.  And she does!  Trish gets in wads of stuff including an EVEREST Northern Lights Suplex!  Emi crushes her with two backbreakers and gets the pin!  A LITTLE STORY!  Trish looked great.  Awesome!  Action Andretti!  He gets to get killed by Josh Woods.  Tony Nese is a HEAT MACHINE!  Daddy Magic puts Scumbag Ian in his place.  Andretti and Nese go all World Of Sport!  Andretti looks great in this.  That was good.  It's Jordan Blade from Richmond, VA!  Vickie is awesome. Blade takes Nyla's finisher like a champ.  Dalton Castle and the Boys!  I love the Boys Auxillary!  LET'S GO BREAK SOME HEARTS!  This match is great.  Wet Bret Waters grosses out Dalton.  Castle is fucking awesome.  Bang-A-Rang!  The Boys spin with him.  El Serpentico!  Brandon Cutler!  Okay, this is the greatest match in the history of Elevation.  CUTLER WITH THE VERTICAL SUPLEX!  SERP gets nothing in!  Cutler does the Frickin' Chris Hamrick bump to the floor!  This match is fucking GREAT.  Cutler zipping his jacket back up after the chop is SOLID GOLD!  AIRPLANE SPIN!  FOR TWO!  GREAT FINISH!  GREAT! Brandon Cutler and Serpentico are AWESOME.  So fucking great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Alec Odin!  Lance Archer is tired of straight squashes, it appears.  He is not afraid to LIGHT UP Odin with a chop!  Archer telling everyone to shut up then Odin hits a move, so the crowd gets louder.  Pro Wrestling, people.  That was good.  Oh man, Trish Adora and Jordan Blade teaming together makes one wonder if someone is going to SHOOT!  Jamie Hayter is OVER everywhere!  Deeb is also OVER.  Britney Blake gets smacked around by Deeb.  Penelope Ford looked great.  Deeb's joyeaux de Pro Wrestling is contagious.  Marina Shafir versus Hikaru Shida!   Ibuki Hoshi citation by Excaliber!  Fun use of Vickie and Nyla to get Shafir on offense.  GNARLY GERMAN SUPLEX BY SHAFIR!  The crowd gets behind Shida's STRUGGLE to escape the MMA offense of Marina Shafir!  Missile Dropkick FOR TWO!  Fun submission spot by Shafir and Shida makes the ropes!  KAORU EXCALIBER FOR TWO!  Spinning heel wheel crescent kick for the win!  That match was a hoot!  Brian Cage is all over the place suddenly.  It's Papadon again!  JESUS,  THAT WAS A FUCKING NASTY DEATH VALLEY DRIVER by Cage.  I like this Papadon guy.  He lays it in.  Papadon gets in more than Cage does.  Cage CRUSHES him with a K-Driller.  That was great.  This is a good little episode of DARK.  It's the very tall Gia Scott!  She's like 6'1".  She's good.  This episode has all the indie ladies AEW needs to sign.  Gia Scott and Queen Aminata need to join the Baddies so three Amazonian ladies can crush the AEW midcard.  Athena is SO FUCKING AWESOME as she takes Scott's offense including an RVD sell of THING that Scott.  NICE Sky High Powerbomb by Scott.  Athena is making Scott look like two million bucks.  Athena is the best wrestler in AEW.  Scott takes the Finisher pretty well.  That was fucking great.  Athena makes Scott look like a killer.  YES! ACTION ANDRETTI!  It's HEAT MACHINE, QT Marshall!  QT Marshall gets the crowd into the match prematch!    QT challenges Athena for Best Maker Of A Opponent To Look Like Two Million Bucks.  He doesn't beat Athena but I dig the effort. Action Andretti is the new Blake Christian of DARK.  QT is making him look like a million and half bucks!  He is definitely the new Blake Christian.  The crowd gets fucking MOLTEN at the nearfalls.  THAT match was fucking GREAT!  This is the best episode of DARK in a while.  Dalton Castle and the Boys!  AWESOME!  FOUR BOYS AUXILLARY!  LET'S BREAK SOME HEARTS!!  DALTON WITH THE EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX!  GREATEST TRIPLE SPINNING BANG-A-RANG!!!!  So fucking great!  Wait a minute,  Castle's theme is "Radio Gaga" by Queen!  Such a great episode.  Brandon Cutler two days in a row!  Kip Sabian!  So Cutler is having the two best matches of the week.  TWO DAYS! TWO AIRPLANE SPINS!  Taz goes off the rails by commenting on Sabian vomiting into boxes.  Cutler might vomit too!  Sabian hits his finisher!  Action Andretti CUTS A PROMO!  Hey!  Maybe he got signed.  Emi Sakura takes on Toni Storm! This is the second time they have squared off!  They fuck around more in this one.  Then it kicks in and I LOVE the MONGOLIAN CHOPS!  Then they start beating the shit out of each other.  Emi is SUCH the Queen of AEW YouTube.  She is so fucking good.  That match was great.  GREATEST EPISODE OF DARK EVER!  It's our main event!  This will be the fourth best match of this episode.  NICKY BOY is at ringside!  Dante Martin is extra spectacular in this match.  Cole Karter takes his ass beating.  Martin must be feeling the heat from Vikingo, Komander and Laredo Kid to be the most spectacular guy on  the scene.  NICKY BOY CHEATS!  YES!  Dante is great on the apron getting the crowd into Sydel's STRUGGLE to escape the Factory's lower card offense.  Solo and Karter are good Southern tag heels.  Dante makes the hot tag and he is more spectacular that Montez Ford and Laredo Kid.  He's better all around than Komander.  He is second to El Hijo del Vikingo.   He is fucking spectacular.  This is going to have more matches in the weekly poll than RAW.   GREATEST DARK EVER!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Star making performance from Action Andretti. Was really feeling like he could've/should've gone over there. Crowd was hot.  And then he got a post-match video promo which was great to see, definitely more of that on Dark.

Speaking of more promos on Dark, "The Reality" Zack Clayton announced he is officially All Elite!

Good stuff from Toni/Emi , Shida's in action this week on Elevation, Dark, and Dynamite.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DEAN said:

SO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.

This is just one of those moves that defines why I love the true art of professional wrestling. Like an airplane spin is like a century old finisher. But when you have The Boys on the outside spinning along it becomes the Bangarang and it’s awesome.

Tangentially, is there a move called the Tilde Bang~! Yet?

• Like 1

Did Athena really have to handgag Gia Scott when she pinned her?  That looked kinda personal.

I am all for QT going full DDP and hitting the Diamond Cutter from every angle possible.  The thing that has been missing in his offense is the threat of the Diamond Cutter killing you at any time.   It is about time that he started using the other variations.

Evil emo Kip Sabian is the best Kip Sabian.

Toni Storm has set the bar high for working snug this week.  The dreaded Hip Attack being the set-up for the Storm Zero seems like stiffness overkill.  Emi Sakura could carry a broom to a six-star match.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

No time for write ups this week but Excalibur trolling Taz all night with baseball references was funny. Cutler vs Sabian wasn't as good as Cutler vs Serpentico but it had its moments. Dante really took Solo's head off at the start of that tag.

Shafir vs Shida was interesting and complete. Worth watching. Obviously Shafir isn't there yet but someone very skilled can really interface with her to great effect. I loved Storm interacting with all of Emi's stuff. That's part of being an ace and why I'd pick Tenryu over Hansen, for instance. By registering Emi's taunts/unique offense, and then caring enough to turn them back on her, she gets Emi over. If the champ thinks something is important, the fans do too. An ace should be able to work what's unique about her opponent into the match, both in what she takes but also in what she does and how she reacts. Storm did that 100% here.

EDIT: They could honestly have something merch/buzz-wise with Cutler if they ran with him a bit right now, I think.

2nd Edit: I forgot to mention. I crack up watching Cutler run the ropes in the tracksuit with the lanky legs. It's just a really funny image. That's all.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2