DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/12/2022

CM Punk vs. Wardlow - This is part of the long-term story leading up to CMP vs MJF, but, personally, I am more excited for this match than for where it's all heading. Maybe Punk and Friedman will talk me into being more hyped for their eventual match, eventually, but for now: I love me a good David vs Goliath match and this has the potential to be a great David vs Goliath match. Hopefully Shawn Spears doesn't directly figure into the finish here. 

Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Dante Martin - Speaking of potentially great David vs Goliath matches!!

Hikaru Shida vs. Serena Deeb - I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching these two fight. They match up really well. I love Shida, but I'm hoping Deeb wins here to take their series to 2-2 and keep the rivalry going.

Interim TNT Championship Match: Sammy Guevara (c) vs. Daniel Garcia - More of a David vs David match? Is that a thing? 

They have set this up really well with Garcia running in after the classy show of respect between Sammy and Dustin at BotB, then Sammy running in to stop Garcia from injuring Fuego on Dark today. Another potentially great match, another potentially great show. 

• Like 3

It means time for me to get a new vacuum and USB hub after work today?

Wait, that can't be it though that is kind of true.

Hmm, there is a new Boba Fett episode, surely that's it.  Well, there is but that ain't it.

"Light the fuse, bring the boom..."  Yeah, of course I knew what that meant.  ?

I'm most looking forward to Shida/Deeb though Hobbs/Dante is going to be a super fun one as well.  Seems like the show's a bit light on matches unless either one goes pretty long or they add something else to it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Calling it -- Punk over WARDLOW via Anaconda Vice

After what happened last week, I fully expect this to end with MJF hitting Wardlow to cause Punk to be DQ'd and that finally being the thing to push Wardlow over the edge.  

• Like 3

Just now, CSC said:

After what happened last week, I fully expect this to end with MJF hitting Wardlow to cause Punk to be DQ'd and that finally being the thing to push Wardlow over the edge.  

MJF is going to have Spears do it with the chair, causing Wardlow to do a powerbomb symphony on Spears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

MJF is going to have Spears do it with the chair, causing Wardlow to do a powerbomb symphony on Spears.

So they can book MJF/Spears vs Punk/Wardlow, and hint that Wardog might still be loyal to MJF and run a "can Punk trust his partner?" angle in the match?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

So they can book MJF/Spears vs Punk/Wardlow, and hint that Wardog might still be loyal to MJF and run a "can Punk trust his partner?" angle in the match?

Sure, works for me. A tried and true angle.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Honestly… Hook. I’d like to see Hook get tested, and have him lose, but gain respect in a loss. Another one I can think of is Orange Cassidy. 

Cassidy feels like a really good TV program. Something to pay off in February before Danielson goes off to his next bigger PPV match in March. I'd personally like to see a PAC match just for the sheer intensity alone. It just feels like AEW has a lot more heels than faces for some reason.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Who does everyone want to see Danielson up against next?

Assuming they're not planning to get to Bucks vs Red Dragon immediately, have him take another crack at the Elite and mix it up with the whole gang. 

PAC would be good, be he kind of has to be steered toward Malakai for his next big match. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Is Pac legit hurt or is he just selling the mist? He hasn't had a match in about six weeks.

I'm going to this show live tonight. Despite being a wrestling fan for almost 30 years the number of live shows I've been to is in the single digits and don't think I've been to one since 2008 or so. Out of the announced card I'm probably looking forward to Shida/Deeb the most.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Is Pac legit hurt or is he just selling the mist? He hasn't had a match in about six weeks.

Was wondering the same. Is it still a lot of work to travel between the UK and US? His run in AEW has been plagued by bad luck and start stops due to mostly unavoidable circumstances. 

It seems like he’s been on a schedule of working a couple of months and then getting a month off, presumably to go home for a while, since the pandemic started. It’s been like clockwork. I would expect him back soon.

• Like 2

It's kinda sad that I see all four matches having shenanigans. Sammy will beat Garcia but it's likely 2.0 get involved. If Hobbs is beating Dante again, Starks is probably playing a part otherwise why book the match if not to showcase Dante's growth? Ain't no fuckin' way MJF won't be in the Punk/Wardlow match. It's Deeb's turn to pick up the W and she's been cheating to win, like almost all the heels in the company lately. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Who does everyone want to see Danielson up against next?

Short feud - I’d quite like to see him vs. Lambert / American Top Team / Men of the Year.

Feel like if anyone can get an MMA star to have a great match it would be Danielson.

Long term - Miro

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone caught that ad for Go Big Show where the guy is covered in flame-retardant gel solving a Rubik's cube, but I guess we know where Cody got that idea.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I meant to post this in the other thread during the show, since it wasn't directly related
  • Like 1

I can not get down with how this show started, with the WWE "parade of challengers interrupting a promo" trope. Then followed up with both Wardlow and Hobbs losing by slipping on banana peels in back to back segments. That was just awful if I'm honest. They really have something with Wardlow when he's getting 50/50 chants with CM Punk. I would have found a way to keep him strong in the finish here. That sucked.

Show did pick up some steam as it went along and I enjoyed the second hour. Not sure how Deeb and Shida resolve their issue but it is intense as hell and I am all in on whatever they decide to do.

Garcia is such a prospect. Dude was phenomenal in that main event. Intensity, strikes, grappling, stooge bumps. Damn.

Also its weird how Raleigh crowds tend to suck while Greensboro an hour away is such a killer wrestling town.

• Like 3

This was a good, albeit weird at times show. I loved the first two matches (particularly Punk/Wardlow because some of that reminded me of Bret/Diesel) but wish they weren't back to back, just because the stories they were telling were kind of similar. I'd have maybe put the Elite/Best Friends segment between the two of them, or Shida/Deeb.

Speaking of Shida/Deeb... man. Was someone hurt for real here, or taking a vacation or something? I was really looking forward to that.

Not that I minded, but I wonder if they're trying to bring in less talent to shows due to COVID or something, because I noticed we had a lot of people in multiple segments, as well as more pretapes than usual.