DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Really disappointed that The Rooney's didn't go with a locally based corporation, sure money talks but an out of state insurance company no one has ever heard or can pronounce is a bad move, I'm really hoping they get a lot of blowback for this. The Heinz name going isn't a shocker since it's now just a brand under the Kraft umbrella and not really local anymore, plus Kraft know's everyone but announcers will still call it Heinz Field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Really disappointed that The Rooney's didn't go with a locally based corporation, sure money talks but an out of state insurance company no one has ever heard or can pronounce is a bad move, I'm really hoping they get a lot of blowback for this. The Heinz name going isn't a shocker since it's now just a brand under the Kraft umbrella and not really local anymore, plus Kraft know's everyone but announcers will still call it Heinz Field.

Hell,  I'm from Michigan and I've never heard of them. 

4 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I guess that's a little similar to most people I know still calling Progressive Field "The Jake" or Guaranteed Rate Field "Comiskey Park."

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I guess that's a little similar to most people I know still calling Progressive Field "The Jake" or Guaranteed Rate Field "Comiskey Park."

The initial reaction/issue is that it's not a locally based company, had it be renamed Alcoa Stadium, UPMC Field, Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium, Turner Stadium or even Edgar Snyder & Associates Park, there wouldn't have been this much uproar and us Yinzers would be able to deal with it.

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mister TV said:

The initial reaction/issue is that it's not a locally based company, had it be renamed Alcoa Stadium, UPMC Field, Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium or even Edgar Snyder & Associates Park, there wouldn't have been this much uproar and us Yinzers would be able to deal with it.

How did Primanti Bros. lose this bidding war? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/1/2022 at 7:15 PM, Gonzo said:

Former Cowboys and Bears running back Marion Barber III was found dead in his apartment today.

He was 38.

Marion Barber's cause of death has been ruled as accidental due to heatstroke.  

On 7/9/2022 at 1:31 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

I'd like to give a hearty "fuck DirecTV" and good riddance. Sure, Apple and Amazon are evil but DirecTV requiring people to get their shitty satellite TV and then pay $300 on top of that for Sunday Ticket was some bullshit. I had it for a few years as they allow you to get it streaming if you can't get DirecTV where you live, but still, it was such an obnoxious and expensive set-up.

Like Apple and Amazon aren't going to charge us out the ass for the Ticket. 

Long as NFL Network keeps RedZone the way it is.  I'm thinking Apple is going to pull the "pay us for the service then add it on" that DirecTV did.  Amazon will possible just make it a channel like they do everything else, and I already pay for Prime.

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Long as NFL Network keeps RedZone the way it is.  I'm thinking Apple is going to pull the "pay us for the service then add it on" that DirecTV did.  

Considering that is what they already do with the MLB package - they absolutely will do that with Sunday Ticket

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Considering that is what they already do with the MLB package - they absolutely will do that with Sunday Ticket

ESPN does this for its PPV model through + too. Thankfully, $5-7/month is not as awful as paying for DirecTV. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

ESPN does this for its PPV model through + too. Thankfully, $5-7/month is not as awful as paying for DirecTV. 

Yea there is a big difference between paying $80 a month + having a big ass satellite on your house, and then $300 more on top of that with DirecTV for Sunday Ticket than paying $5 to $10 monthly for a streaming service plus whatever the Ticket cost is. The DirecTV deal was the worst. May it burn in hell. What would be really cool is if whichever company did get NFL Ticket let fans do what MLB.TV does and pay less to just watch one team only. I don't see them doing that though.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea there is a big difference between paying $80 a month + having a big ass satellite on your house, and then $300 more on top of that with DirecTV for Sunday Ticket than paying $5 to $10 monthly for a streaming service plus whatever the Ticket cost is. The DirecTV deal was the worst. May it burn in hell. What would be really cool is if whichever company did get NFL Ticket let fans do what MLB.TV does and pay less to just watch one team only. I don't see them doing that though.

I do expect the streaming version to be absurdly pricy though. Stuff I was reading before the other rights deals were finalized and shortly after is that the league and the owners loved the ala carte model they could offer with streaming through a per game price, a per week price, a per team price, or a full season price.

Given the demand for the NFL, a Sunday ticket package being $500+ for the season is very likely through Apple.

Edited by Chaos

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I do expect the streaming version to be absurdly pricy though. Stuff I was reading before the other rights deals were finalized and shortly after is that the league and the owners loved the ala carte model they could offer with streaming through a per game price, a per week price, a per team price, or a full season price.

Given the demand for the NFL, a Sunday ticket package being $500+ a month is very likely through Apple.

I can see the per-game price being $49.99, they'll make a mint of Steeler and Packer fans in places like Phoenix when a Cards-Lions game bumps the near national 4:25pm game featuring Pittsburgh or Green Bay.

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Given the demand for the NFL, a Sunday ticket package being $500+ for the season is very likely through Apple.

See now the article I read regarding DTV not even bidding also said The NFL has told all of the bidders that the price will have to remain at what DTV was charging for it, or more. The don't want it decreased. Why I don't know. The NFL gets their rights fee no matter what a platform charges for it.

That article also said they don't want ala carte at all for The Ticket. No Team specific package / etc. They want to keep it as simple as possible. I can't remember who the article was from and how I stumbled upon it. So take it all with a grain of salt and whatnot. But I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new structure because it sounds like The NFL is blocking all that.

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Marion Barber's cause of death has been ruled as accidental due to heatstroke.  

Timely and sad considering the current situation in Texas (and the South/Southwest).

On 7/11/2022 at 1:58 PM, Craig H said:

Speaking of Progressive Field,  apparently Baker Mayfield pitched an idea to Progressive that they were "moving out" of their home in Cleveland and into a new one.  They rejected it.  ?