DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

My philosophy on quarterbacks is pretty simple, if the price seems to high it is. If you have a quarterback and his contact is up,  you have to decide whether to give him what will probably be a historic contract or go into the wilderness. If you think that you can find someone better,  you should never pay your quarterback. There is almost never a great free agent quarterback,  you are rolling the dice. That's why I didn't want Baker Mayfield going forward,  his play has been a dice roll. You never really know what you're getting from him,  so you don't pay him. If you're going to roll the dice at least roll to find someone better. 

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were both free agents and won Super Bowls* with their new teams so they're at the top of the list.  Besides those two, who else is there?  I'm struggling to come up with any.  Was Montana a free agent when he went to KC?

* - Manning with the Broncos is the worst quarterback of all-time to win a Super Bowl so he only sort of counts here.  Of course, he was incredible his first three years in Denver.

15 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were both free agents and won Super Bowls* with their new teams so they're at the top of the list.  Besides those two, who else is there?  I'm struggling to come up with any.  Was Montana a free agent when he went to KC?

* - Manning with the Broncos is the worst quarterback of all-time to win a Super Bowl so he only sort of counts here.  Of course, he was incredible his first three years in Denver.

Pretty sure Montana was traded to KC.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Both Manning and Brady were at the point in their careers where signing them to another contract was as much of a crap shoot as finding a new quarterback. Brady had still been good,  so they lost the roll of the dice,  but I understand why the Patriots didn't take a multimillion dollar bet on a 40+ quarterback. The thing about shooting dice is that the difference between winning and losing is completely random. You kind of just have to roll the dice and live with the consequences. If they win a Super Bowl with their new team,  but you save $150 million you kind of break even.

• Like 1

Sports players are crazy sometimes. I 100% understand wanting to get paid every penny you can while you can, no criticism from me. But if the Chiefs offered Hill a legitimate deal (without knowing their offer its hard to know how much more Miami offered), to leave that to go to a team that has made the playoffs once in the last decade and still seems a few pieces away from being a real threat, its something. 

I actually don't think Hill is a Top 5 receiver (or particularly close to it), I think he was in an offense that used him well and played for one of the best QBs in the NFL which boosted his stats. So I guess if he can get #1 WR money then he should grab it. At least he didn't pick the Jets, that would have been another level.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

72.2 million reasons. 

But how much better is that offer versus what KC was offering?  $72m guaranteed is nice money for a WR, that's for sure.

I'm with Kevin.  I'm not sure Hill is actually a top, top WR.  I think KC utilized him really well and had a quarterback that could take advantage of his skills.  I'm not sure Tua can do that.

Edited by Tabe

How exactly is Miami close enough to winning anything significant that they need to give up that many draft picks and hand over that much guaranteed to Hill? Are they really one high end WR (whose countdown to going WR batshit crazy can't have long left on it) away from anything?

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

But how much better is that offer versus what KC was offering?  $72m guaranteed is nice money for a WR, that's for sure.

He's also 28, which by elite NFL receiver standards is getting up there. Saw this on another board:

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

That...is incredible.  28 or 29 doesn't seem that old, even by wide receiver standards.  Guess it is though.

McDaniel is also looking to build a run heavy offense and use receivers probably similar to what he did with Deebo last year. So imagine the double whammy of speed you have with both Waddle and Hill. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Hopefully for the Dolphins, this won't be a repeat of their big WR signing in 2013 that was also for a flashy WR that had excelled in a different offense with a better QB.

Will Fuller may have been a bigger bust last year given that he basically never made the field, and he was a big off season get, but fair point.