DVDVR Message Board

2022 WRESTLERS LEAVING COMPANIES THREAD (Releases, FAs, etc...)

RIPPA

Cody being booked poorly won't "prevent" others from jumping. But it could certainly cause some people to think twice. Best practice would be to not tempt fate. 

As I said earlier though, who knows if the people who will be making decisions with Cody are rational enough to think even that far. And as BP alluded to, they'll probably think they're doing fine by Cody and fuck up any momentum he has on accident because that's what they do. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

having a lot of ambiguity about what you actually do is a good move for a Head of Creative.

"Hey, I don't micromanage and I listen to ideas!"

As the saying goes, “Success has many parents, failure is an orphan”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Cody being booked poorly won't "prevent" others from jumping. But it could certainly cause some people to think twice. Best practice would be to not tempt fate. 

As I said earlier though, who knows if the people who will be making decisions with Cody are rational enough to think even that far. And as BP alluded to, they'll probably think they're doing fine by Cody and fuck up any momentum he has on accident because that's what they do. 

Case in point: Look how long it took them to finally get it right with Roman Reigns, and he was their #1 priority.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Hagan said:

Time to bring up another topic. This weird rehabilitation of Dusty as a booking genius that Cody yearns to follow is some some interesting historical spin. I mean, Dusty did great stuff developing the early NXT kids and he certainly had Hall of Fame level runs as a booker for short periods but didn't he also help destroy JCP and run territories into the ground and was also on and off the WCW booking committee during its many years of darkness? Not to slander the great name of the American Dream but it seemed that before his death he was more widely mocked as a booker than anything else. I mean, one of the most territory destroying finishes is named after him. 

For some of the grey beards here, what do y'all think? 

I think Dusty had some great ideas but went to the well way too often. For instance, the "Dusty Finish" is a great way to build heat and extend a feud if used sparingly. It's also a great way to piss off your fanbase and drive people away if you do them a ton and never pay it off by having the babyface actually win. Also, it's not a terrible idea to lift angles and gimmicks from movies. The Horsemen beating up Dusty in a parking lot while he screams "make it good" because that's their shot at him and they better make it count is right out of an old Western. It is a terrible idea to turn a dude into Oz and put Kevin Sullivan in a rubber mask as The Wizard.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

The Horsemen beating up Dusty in a parking lot while he screams "make it good" because that's their shot at him and they better make it count is right out of an old Western.

I always used to laugh at people that claimed "make it good" was somehow ineptitude on Dusty's part to leave an instruction on camera in the final cut.

Like... people were so obsessed with mistake-hunting or to find fault with Dusty's booking that they thought that was a mistake. Come on.

5 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I always used to laugh at people that claimed "make it good" was somehow ineptitude on Dusty's part to leave an instruction on camera in the final cut.

Like... people were so obsessed with mistake-hunting or to find fault with Dusty's booking that they thought that was a mistake. Come on.

Seriously. JJ Dillon talked about that in his book. He said something like, "We taped that thing way in advance of when it was supposed to air. We blurred out Dusty's arm to give the allusion that it was mangled and even bleeped out some curse words. Don't you think we'd have bleeped out 'make it good' if it wasn't planned?"

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I think Dusty had some great ideas but went to the well way too often. For instance, the "Dusty Finish" is a great way to build heat and extend a feud if used sparingly. It's also a great way to piss off your fanbase and drive people away if you do them a ton and never pay it off by having the babyface actually win. Also, it's not a terrible idea to lift angles and gimmicks from movies. The Horsemen beating up Dusty in a parking lot while he screams "make it good" because that's their shot at him and they better make it count is right out of an old Western. It is a terrible idea to turn a dude into Oz and put Kevin Sullivan in a rubber mask as The Wizard.

I feel this kinda goes to thing that happens a lot when bookers get a hot idea. The Dusty finish is not a bad idea but doing it to death was. Russo had some bright ideas that he fed to vince in 97-98 but then just kept doing "worked-shoot" nonsense for ever in WCW and beyond. How many evil authority figured have we seen on RAW? How many times has he tried to find his new Hogan. NWO was a great idea but Bishoff never had an exit strategy for it

• Like 5

7 hours ago, colonial said:

PW Insider reporting that longtime WWE Spanish announcer Carlos Cabrera has been let go 

7 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Just change wrestlers to people in the topic. 

WWE released commentator Carlos Cabrera. He worked for WWE/WWF for under 30 years, since 1993. He did play by play for 25 plus WM's, more than anyone else in WWE history.

Hope it was a mutual thing.

He and Hugo having their table destroyed every PPV became such a trope that even my casual friends at the time would watch along waiting for it.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I blame Scott Keith for the early IWC’s poor view of dusty. God, that dude had horrible taste in wrestling.

Meltzer and various other dudes were doing that way before Scott Keith

AEW is sorta fresh since it's a non-WWE entity free of the JCP/WCW fan culture of having some grievance over how booking was handled years ago

It’s funny to me how all of a sudden in certain areas in the internet (not here) that all of a sudden AEW has “budgeting problems”, “won’t get a big renewal on their tv deal” and that “Owens and Sami saw what they had to offer and stuck with WWE and have major mania plans now”. 

I’ve said before that I can’t blame Cody for looking out for himself money wise but all of this is going to be laughable in August when he’s wrestling Steve-O at summerslam. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2