DVDVR Message Board

2022 General RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I remember the TV show Head of the Class filmed some stuff in the U.S.S.R. in the 80's and even had the quiz bowl a battle of US Vs Russia.  Gorbachev was a complicated man but he knew how bad nuclear war would be and did his damndest to prevent it. 

RIP

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Today is the 25th Anniversary of Princess Diana's passing. I was 12 years old, I still remember going into my parents bedroom to inform them having watched the breaking news and heard on the radio.

I remember watching AAA when they cut away from the match to broadcast the news for about 10 seconds... only to immediately go back to the match. It's like the network said "HEY! Match first, then Diana's death. Priorities, buster."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Today is the 25th Anniversary of Princess Diana's passing. I was 12 years old, I still remember going into my parents bedroom to inform them having watched the breaking news and heard on the radio.

I was at home between college semesters, deeply ill with colitis, and remember turning to Mom and saying, "Those poor boys of her's." Just a terrible, unnecessary tragedy.

• Like 1

According to her son sociologist and author Barbara Ehrenreich passed away yesterday at age 81. 

Reading Nickel & Dimed was a big radicalizing moment for me, as it was for a lot of other people.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Pre-emptive...but looks like Queen Elizabeth II is in the final days. She definitely did her thing, and it's gonna be a thing. Oh boy.

Yeah, we all know she's not doing great but, dude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Also, one of those odd things that I have no idea how they'll actually deal with, by British law, all money with the deceased regent's face on it must be returned and replaced immediately.  With the literal billions of pounds out there, that's a problem on an insane scale.  

And another interesting thing, Charles is now king, right?  So... his royal name.    There have been 2 (or 3!) Charles before him, and their reigns didn't go so well.  So he may choose to reign as Charles III (or IV) or, he may take his maternal grandfather's name and reign as George VII.   We'll find out soon enough. 

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, one of those odd things that I have no idea how they'll actually deal with, by British law, all money with the deceased regent's face on it must be returned and replaced immediately.  With the literal billions of pounds out there, that's a problem on an insane scale.  

And another interesting thing, Charles is now king, right?  So... his royal name.    There have been 2 (or 3!) Charles before him, and their reigns didn't go so well.  So he may choose to reign as Charles III (or IV) or, he may take his maternal grandfather's name and reign as George VII.   We'll find out soon enough. 

EDIT: so much for that bullshit. Charles is a jinxed name though, as both the other two were overthrown. . . RIP.

Edited by Kuetsar

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yes. King Charles the III.

45 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

EDIT: so much for that bullshit. Charles is a jinxed name though, as both the other two were overthrown. . . RIP.

Ugh, again. Charles I was the one who was executed, Charles II was restored. James II was overthrown in the Glorious Revolution.

Yeah I jumped the gun, apologies again, but it was very clear that Operation London Bridge was beginning - something I've been aware of for about 25 years, and it is a very odd thing. She's the only Queen I've ever known, and whilst other countries have their Royal Families....I mean lol c'mon right? She is The Queen and she will likely remain so for a long time given that the next 3 generations will likely be male (obv Camilla being the Queen Consort isn't the same thing). Only Beyonce can give her a run for her money.

Obviously it has been quite a life. I have no interest in getting mawkish about a lady who got to drink Bollinger every day and seemed to enjoy a pretty damn good life for the most part - it would be nice to think she may have had a glass today, but probably she had to settle for the morphine. It would of course be churlish not to be somewhat admirous of how she has steered the ship of 'The Firm' during the last 70 years, particularly the last 30. So may she rest in peace - no doubt her life will be celebrated in great detail, and no quarrel from me on any of that. Whilst many of our leaders found ways around the rules, she sat alone at her husband's funeral and that cannot have been an easy time.

The last few years have seen her faced with British governments that have seemed quite keen on playing their edge with the constitution, and we are now faced with some very grave economic issues - it will be interesting to see how Charles, or whatever he calls himself now, reacts to this. It is increasingly known that he has not been quiet behind the scenes on various matters, normally in ways that are somewhat....self-referential. Cometh the hour, cometh the man (in this case) perhaps - but I live more in hope than expectation.

I saw the Queen once. I was in the Aldwych area one random early evening, probably about 15ish years ago maybe a little more. I think I was crossing the road and made it halfway to a traffic island, and but there were some black cars coming. The second one had the Queen in the back, pretty sure she was sat on her own - quite surprising she didn't have tinted windows. It was kind of cool. It would have been better if she had been picking her nose obviously, but she probably had someone to take care of that.

If I may be even a little more irreverant, may Earl Robert Eaton welcome her into Eternity. Rest in Peace Liz!

image.png

Edited by SprintingFromAmerica
added photo
  • Like 1