DVDVR Message Board

2022 Movies Discussion Thread (v.2.0)

RIPPA

I haven't seen Marriage Story. Every time I thought about watching it I had the same thought "yeah, but I own Scenes From A Marriage, it would be better to just watch all five or six hours of that again."

Prey was pretty solid, aside form having some Asylum/Syfy Original level CGI and night time scenes that are way too dark. I enjoyed the more primitive design of this particular Yautja and while there's never been that much character development among them in the series, there were some nice parallels done between he and the human lead both being involved in their first hunts/rites of passage. Dodgy CGI aside, the action pieces are gruesomely entertaining and overall it was a nice palate cleanser from the 2018 movie.

I will totally die on the hill of Predators being a solid movie.

• Like 1

I’m so bored of the major Disney franchises (Marvel, Star Wars), and also can’t stop watching them.

Dont get me wrong, there’s almost always something I enjoy about them: but I finish each one (be it show or movie) and think “well, I think I’m good.”

And then I go back for more.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Control said:

I’m so bored of the major Disney franchises (Marvel, Star Wars), and also can’t stop watching them.

Dont get me wrong, there’s almost always something I enjoy about them: but I finish each one (be it show or movie) and think “well, I think I’m good.”

And then I go back for more.

The overwhelming sameness of each MCU project is getting overwhelming. Like, there's usually nothing *wrong* with each one in a vacuum, but stacked together they just weigh down with nothingness.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Mediocre filmmaking is everywhere; the tentpoles just have better advertising budgets. I say this approaching day 400 of watching mediocrity. I don't think they're "leading" us anywhere, I think we were already in that space. It's why the Daniels and the Hamaguchis and the Campions of the world find success, since they were always going to do exactly what they wanted, everybody else be damned.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

Speaking of mediocre filmmaking…

CC7-F0109-0-E0-D-41-A5-B2-B8-E4-DFAE3-CF

my film, Ode to the Whale of Christ, is going to be screening in Minneapolis (at the Trylon Cinema) on October 8th. After so many screenings being postponed due to the pandemic, I’m pretty excited to have it playing in a US theater.

Shameless plug Derp.

• Like 9

On 8/4/2022 at 8:17 PM, Contentious C said:

This means you, @John from Cincinnati: get past that section because that's when all the good stuff starts hitting!

Finally made it the whole way through a few months ago because I got tired of getting side-eyed by my brother and his partner whenever the movie came up. Everyone else was right and I was wrong!

Happy for you, @Octopus. You did the work, no shame in plugging. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Octopus said:

Speaking of mediocre filmmaking…

CC7-F0109-0-E0-D-41-A5-B2-B8-E4-DFAE3-CF

my film, Ode to the Whale of Christ, is going to be screening in Minneapolis (at the Trylon Cinema) on October 8th. After so many screenings being postponed due to the pandemic, I’m pretty excited to have it playing in a US theater.

Shameless plug Derp.

Happy for you, @Octopus. Congratulations, my friend.

Prey was really good.

Spoiler

Ending is very satisfying but as we feared, there is no tie between this movie and Predator 2.   Naru decapitates the Predator and brings its head and the flintlock pistol featured in the trailer home as trophies.  The weapon the Predator takes from the party of French explorers it murders is not the one that the elders hand to Danny Glover at the end of P2.

There is a post-credit scene that is kinda cool.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I took the kids to see Paws of Fury today and it’s not good, but somehow I missed beforehand that it was a Blazing Saddles remake.  Mel Brooks has a writing credit and plays a Shogun version of his Governor character, and it was hell of a thing to piece together in real time. It was a tough sit because it’s so slight and derivative, but I can report at the very least that there is horse punching. 

This probably should go here... for now.

Anne Heche was seen on a security cam speeding down a residential street in Mar Vista, California. She crashed into a house and her car basically exploded

She's in a coma in critical condition.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, (BP) said:

I took the kids to see Paws of Fury today and it’s not good, but somehow I missed beforehand that it was a Blazing Saddles remake.  Mel Brooks has a writing credit and plays a Shogun version of his Governor character, and it was hell of a thing to piece together in real time. It was a tough sit because it’s so slight and derivative, but I can report at the very least that there is horse punching. 

When my kids see a trailer for a movie like that and say they want to see it, we always tell them to let grandma and grandpa know. My parents have taken my kids to so many shitty movies, I can't even count.

• Like 1

The Red Letter Media guys just released the latest Half In The Bag and they were positive on Prey (2022).

I guess that makes it okay for me to like it, too.

Seriously, thought the film was good.

The CGI animals were the worst parts of the movie, and that's a minor nit.

Hope this is determined to be a "hit" and gets a physical release. (Gotta hoard that physical media!)

On 7/27/2022 at 9:14 AM, The Natural said:

R.6d60aeba51f001d1403331ed3cc419d8?rik=b

Settle down, Naturaletico.

Urban legend says that Quentin convinced Robert Rodriguez to rewrite this scene so that Ritchie Gecko would be the one to suck on Salma Hayek's toes as she pours the tequila down her leg.  Supposedly, the scene originally had Seth Gecko handling foot worship duty.  

There is always talk of the scene being mostly improved (only Salma, Rodriguez, and Quentin knew what was going to happen) because of the genuine WTF expressions of everyone at the Gecko table.  Juliette Lewis looks really uncomfortable and may very well be legit blushing.

Tito & Tarantula are one of Rodriguez's favorite musical groups.  That's why they were cast as the primary musicians in the Titty Twister's house band.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Planet Terror was on last night and I sat through the credits. Robert's Chef was credited as himself. He also wrote a bunch of the music, and the song over the credits is pretty baller. It's like an extended cut of the theme music with a lot of bonus Flamenco guitar work and shit. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Just watched Bronson again after I found it was airing at like 3 AM one night on HBO and set it up to record. Tom Hardy is fucking nuts. Also, he said he wanted to gain weight for the role, ate nothing but fat and gained 14 pounds, but still looked like THAT?! 

Refn has apparently finally been busy with something: ‘Copenhagen Cowboy’: Nicolas Winding Refn Series Lands at Netflix | IndieWire

• Like 1