DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I don't know that I have a lot more to add that hasn't already been said: Not great stuff!

Doudrop/Becky was really good and Roman/Seth was about as good of a match as those two are gonna have when the winner is so clear.

The women's Rumble didn't do a ton for me considering how thin the roster is, but it did really underline that at least they have some stars there: Ronda, Charlotte, Sasha, Bianca, Rhea and to a lesser extent, Naomi and Sonya all had a lot going for them and the crowd responded. Whereas, as someone else said, the men's Rumble looked like a bunch of geeks. I don't think the firings would have made much of a difference in terms of quality because ultimately, they just don't have any full-time star power in the men's division outside of Roman and Rollins due to how badly everyone's been booked. I guess there's AJ and RKBro? But even then, Orton and Styles are 41 and 44 respectively, and Riddle was dumped pretty unceremoniously. Poor Big E was a complete afterthought.

26 minutes ago, alstein said:

Was this as tough to watch as 1999-2000 WCW was?

It's duller, for sure. 99-00's WCW felt a lot more like a sinking ship with each passing week, but it always had a glimmer of, "Okay, fuck it, we're starting from scratch, maybe THIS wild idea will work." 2022 WWE just feels like it will endlessly coast, never dying or ever getting any better. Kind of like the Simpsons.

3 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I'd say the biggest problem is this: you don't put the belt on Andre.

Lesnar is the modern-day Andre. And they put the belt on him constantly.

This is what, the second year in a row now that they've done " Lesnar inserts himself into big gimmick match at last minute and easily wins to get a title shot"? It makes the whole roster look like shit. 

Ironically, the "people person Lesnar" thing is a move in the right direction, but what he needs to be doing at this point is acting as an odd-evener like Andre used to. Say, Ricochet gets on the bad side of AJ and Omos (assuming they never split). They're beating him regularly until he bumps into Lesnar in the back one day, and Brock's like, "hey I remember when you helped eliminate me in the Rumble a couple years ago. You got gumption, I like that. Lemme help you out." Bang, Ricochet gets a rub from teaming with Brock, Omos gets a rub from being enough of a threat to involve Brock.

Bottom line, Brock don't need the belt. Neither does Rousey for that matter, nor did Goldberg. They gotta stop putting the belts on special attractions if they ever wanna build up a pool of new main event talent.

Exactly - and Brock we know is not a full timer.  He had the belt and was literally not on TV for weeks. The main roster must look at this and be deflated. Don't blame Brock, its a great gig for him.

I have Peacock for the PL and heard from friends and family who still occasionally watch that this show was bad on another level, so I went in and played it in the background this morning. This is the first full modern WWE show I've seen since 2016. 

It was pretty terrible! Roman still is just okay, and Rollins was fine in this match, but it was whatever and had the fuck finish. 

The women's Rumble is the first time I have seen Rousey work. Not a great match to get a sense of her as a worker. Anyway, it was shit, though I did enjoy Sasha, Mickie, and Ivory's stints.

Becky Lynch looks kind of shit at the pro wrestling now? This was not a great match, though Doudrop (who has a dumb name that makes me think that Bertha Faye is no longer the shittiest "give the heavyset woman a dumb-ass gimmick name" example in the history of the company) doesn't seem particularly good either. She worked hard, but meh.

The mixed tag wasn't good or anything, but The Miz was like the best worker on this show by miles, which is kinda fucked up? I mean, Miz is a very good WWE-style worker, but he probably shouldn't be your best worker on any given show.

Lashley/Lesnar was bad. That suplex shit was boring six years ago. Lashley looked like a punk motherfucker after that finish.

The men's Rumble was terrible, but it's still not worse than the "dump Bryan early so Reigns can win" Rumble. It's definitely below all those boring mid-'90s ones that at least had some decent angles or moments running through them. Like, '95 was the most boring one of those, and at least it had HBK and Bulldog going bell to bell and Michaels doing increasingly more ridiculous elimination teases all the way through. The one where Bryan got dumped by Bray way early so that Vince could shit on the crowd (complete with Goldust entering right after Bryan was dumped so SHATTERED DREAMS was prominently displayed on the screen while Bryan over-emoted at ringside) was just awful, like the biggest fuck you to the fans, complete with dragging The Rock out on some "Remember this guy, back from when we were entertaining? You like him, right? Well, he's buddies with his family member Roman Reigns!"

This was just totally directionless garbage with no stars except for Brock and Bad Bunny.

@Super Apedeclared American wrestling to be in the mud, and he is right. TNA or Impact! or whatever is roundly mediocre with a small handful of decent-enough matches every once in awhile, and it is absolutely the best company running right now. No wonder no one outside of an increasingly older amount of hardcores watches any of this shit. 

I've watched some stuff from the '91 - '95 period over the past few months thinking that I have rose-colored glasses on and that it was just as shit as modern American wrestling is, but no, it genuinely is a million times better than the contrived, over-produced shit that these modern companies, especially WWE, puts out. 

Also, that camera-shaking bullshit is completely unnerving when you aren't used to it anymore. I bet Kevin Dunn's completely awful direction/production turns off more potentially new fans than any of Vince's run-in-place booking or the writing team's plastic promos ever could. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Also Rousey's punches look like shit.

That was some Shane O'Mac level stuff in the corners.

I saw at some ring rust - no clue how much time she put in before last night. They looked really bad. I thought Rousey was pretty darn good when she first started given how little she has been in a pro wrestling ring but last night was not good. 

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I find it really interesting that Ronda has a commitment to being a "striker" in WWE when trying to be a striker is what ended her UFC career.

Ronda copying Minoru Suzuki in this way?  I feel almost sacrifiligeous saying this.

38 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

SelfreliantPepperyHackee-size_restricted

Look, I can't NOT post this in response. 

• Haha 5

50 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

At the same time: Shane O'Mac's punches + Kevin Dunn trying to hide their shittyness = seizures among half of the people watching at home

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

I saw at some ring rust - no clue how much time she put in before last night. They looked really bad. I thought Rousey was pretty darn good when she first started given how little she has been in a pro wrestling ring but last night was not good. 

I'd think the fact that she worked in jeans, a cheap tank top, and a long sleeve t that they gimmicked to make it look like she had a cleavage window should tell you how much prep time she had for the Rumble...

16 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I'd think the fact that she worked in jeans, a cheap tank top, and a long sleeve t that they gimmicked to make it look like she had a cleavage window should tell you how much prep time she had for the Rumble...

WWE is all about name value with Wrestlemania. But it's their blue print for "success" - Mr. T, Cyndy Lauper, Trump - but usually the real success has been wrestling talent on top. 

Rousey can be good - but not sure she will be by April. 

I sincerely feel bad for folks who want to like WWE shows because they like the wrestlers there or grew up with it. I like the wrestlers there, too. I wish they, and you fans, were respected in any way, shape, or form ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I sincerely feel bad for folks who want to like WWE shows because they like the wrestlers there or grew up with it. I like the wrestlers there, too. I wish they, and you fans, were respected in any way, shape, or form ❤️

Well put. Said before I feel for the wrestlers up shit creek without a paddle due to the senile whims of Vince McMahon. Bruce Pritchard as well. The wrestlers deserve better as do the fan base.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are people on FB praising this show as a 9.5/10 and that it makes them excited for Mania.  I'm aware that everyone has varying tastes and im happy someone enjoyed it, but am I wrong to be completely bewildered as to HOW this was enjoyable?

Also, i have no idea where Asuka is, and was hoping she might pop up....is she injured or just left out?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

There are people on FB praising this show as a 9.5/10 and that it makes them excited for Mania.  I'm aware that everyone has varying tastes and im happy someone enjoyed it, but am I wrong to be completely bewildered as to HOW this was enjoyable?

Also, i have no idea where Asuka is, and was hoping she might pop up....is she injured or just left out?

Injured.

• Sad 1

Royal Rumble and maybe WrestleMania are the only shows I still watch from WWE after AEW emerged and killed off the enjoyable run of NXT. I watched the whole show but to be honest I only really paid attention for the rumbles. Some notes, nothing more.

It’s astonishing that Kelly Kelly has somewhat become a nostalgia act / legend act considering just how (at least entertainingly) bad she was, is and ever will be.

I hate it when people don’t enter the rumble right away like Sonya Deville did but then still enter way to soon. Makes everyone look stupid.

I remember Becky Lynch looking much more badass. That was a really weird look for her match, kinda doofus. Talking about bad outfits, Ronda looked really lame too. And I think Beth Phoenix looks or more acts silly in a bad way.

The big match formula of just hitting some suplexes and finishers still is incredibly lame. As if the agent was an eight-year-old with his action figures.

I miss seeing Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn and Rey Mysterio on a somewhat regular basis. Samis way to short stint was probably my highlight of the rumble, I hated Owens getting eliminated by Shane like nothing and Rey still looks so smooth in the ring.

Nakamuras theme instantly got stuck in my head again.

Weird camera work with too many cuts as expected, but they missed two eliminations (Rey and I forgot who the other one was). Also weird, Kofis elimination. Did they just "say, well, fuck it, we might as well try it and if it doesn't work, who cares, you're out"?

Bad Bunny had a really good stretch in the rumble. I never heard of him as an artist before his Wrestlemania effort, but my interest in his kind of music is non-existent and I’m from Germany, so go figure, but if I didn't know, I probably wouldn't have guested that he's just a celebrity guest.

Overall, I really don’t see any new reason to watch more of WWE after this. It’s still the same. They have some fantastic talents and some of them still get to shine, but why even bother. I feel that it’s like watching Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings after you already watched too many awesome Asian action flicks. If I didn’t already knew how good wrestling or asian action could be, if I was a little kid new to the game, I’d probably enjoy this but when you’ve seen at least some of the greener grass on the other side, again, why even bother.

The three months stretch from Royal Rumble 2004 up to Wrestlemania 20 with Eddie and Benoit winning their titles is probably my fondest childhood memory of WWE maybe wrestling altogether ever. That’s probably why I will always return for Royal Rumble. I mean, it’s still interesting, just not that much enjoyable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

To be fair, having friends over and plenty pizza, wings and beer will probably make everything enjoyable.

Always a good recipe for your evening entertainment. 

And especially having a bunch of 11 year olds running around and hitting each other with pillows as steel chairs.

We're taking the kids to RAW on the 7th and they can't wait.

• Like 6

One of the issues with WWE is the only performers who will ever become true main eventers are those anointed by Vince. Eventually upper midcarders reach this weird purgatory where they are established and above secondary title level but below Brock/Roman. Its really glaring when you watch the Rumble as these talents come out and are presented as threats to win. Yet the fans have been conditioned to know that’s impossible. 

I enjoyed the mixed tag match. It felt familiar. Like I was watching a random 2007 ppv. Edge/Miz still remember how to put together an entertaining WWE style match.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1