DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

On 1/23/2022 at 7:05 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

every time the purge thread gets bumped I have been wondering:

A] are they gonna have enough people left to do the women's rumble this year?

B] how are they going to get around not having enough folks left to do the women's rumble this year (and is the solution going to be "don't)?

I guess this is the beginning of my answer

don't worry,  they  I am sure Santino Marella has unlimited "female cousins" they can use. 

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:37 AM, RIPPA said:

Fightful reports that The IInspiration were also asked to return for Rumble - which Impact would have improved - but the former IIconics turned it down as they weren't interested in appearing for WWE right now

This is great! Good for them! This almost as great as the tweet I read about someone re-applying for the job they got fired from, getting the job and then quitting when they desperately needed her! Now THAT'S a FU, right there!

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 2

So 22 men have been announced for the Rumble and looking at the graphic - exactly half of the participants are in a regular tag team. And the number goes up if you count Happy Corbin and Riddick Moss as a regular tag team

The only regular singles wrestlers in the field are

• AJ Styles
  • Omos
  • Austin Theory
  • Sami Zayn
  • Kevin Owens
  • Big E
  • Damien Priest
  • Sheamus

3 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I'm interested in seeing how they get Omos out of the ring. He still to the best of my viewing hasn't taken a single bump in any match he's been in.

If they do the usual "everyone in the ring gangs up on him bit"  you can have enough guys to safely roll him over the top rope kinda like how the Great Khali used to go out

The other option is for him to eliminate himself by stepping over the top rope for... reasons

I plan on watching the Rumble anyway but the rumors of Ronda returning makes the show more interesting. Lashley vs Lesnar was something I've been wanting to see since Lashley came back and it seems to be built up pretty well. That match was probably the only thing I feel invested in as a fan. Asuka, Bayley and Ronda are the only real surprises I would really react to. They've pretty much had every legend make a surprise entry except for maybe Jazz. Liv Morgan is the only person in that Rumble I think the fans want to win in the same way it was for Ripley and Bianca the previous ones. It also surprises me how many people expect Ronda to get boo'd if she enters the Rumble, I think the fans will receive her well as long as they don't force to hard of her being babyface unless she really insist on being a heel, she definitely can turn that up as well. 

The Rumble matches are fun to watch live as it happens even though you see the same exact tropes every year. And now we have two. The Rumble match with Brock at number one was probably the only modern Rumble match I'd consider watching back again but outside of the fact that your not sure who's going to win the Rumble matches going in, especially now since winning it doesn't mean thats your last shot at your title match at WrestleMania.

I don't know what to expect out of the Men's Royal Rumble because I haven't been watching the TV and Drew's hurt so I guess that should be fun to watch because I have no idea where they'll go with that.

Edited by Ziggy

Meltzer noted on the radio show the other day that NXT will have a heavy presence at the Rumble - at a minimum backstage

Basically, some of them will be in each Rumble (like he guesses Bron Breaker and the former WALTER along with Raquel Gonzalez will all be in) but the expectation is that NXT wrestlers will also serve as alternates in case anyone is sick day the day of the show

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Seems dumb to have Steiner and Walter in the Rumble if they aren’t going to win it. 

Well it its no dumber than the year they put both the NXT World Champs in it - the day after both had grueling matches on a Takeover

• Thanks 1

Every year it seems like a prime opportunity to go with a huge surprise by having the top NXT guy win it, in this case Bron Breakker, strap a rocket to his back, and make him into the next big thing. It will never happen, but it's the easiest and quickest way they could make a star.

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Every year it seems like a prime opportunity to go with a huge surprise by having the top NXT guy win it, in this case Bron Breakker, strap a rocket to his back, and make him into the next big thing. It will never happen, but it's the easiest and quickest way they could make a star.

I actually think this is the plan…for next year. We’re another year of Reigns domination and Breakker development from it. Reigns/Brock is a big enough match for this year.

Edited by For Great Justice

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer noted on the radio show the other day that NXT will have a heavy presence at the Rumble - at a minimum backstage

Basically, some of them will be in each Rumble (like he guesses Bron Breaker and the former WALTER along with Raquel Gonzalez will all be in) but the expectation is that NXT wrestlers will also serve as alternates in case anyone is sick day the day of the show

I mean there have been NXT people in the Rumble for the last few years now so this was expected. I'm good with anyone but Bron appearing which of course means he shows up.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Seems dumb to have Steiner and Walter in the Rumble if they aren’t going to win it. 

Walter appearing would be fine. He just needs to eliminate a good 4-6 people and preferably be one of the final 4. I agree on keeping Bron the hell away from it until he is moving up and winning it.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well it its no dumber than the year they put both the NXT World Champs in it - the day after both had grueling matches on a Takeover

It never felt that dumb to me. NXT is not on the same level as Raw and Smackdown so it makes sense for the champs to be given a shot.

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I actually think this is the plan…for next year. We’re another year of Reigns domination and Breakker development from it. Reigns/Brock is a big enough match for this year.

I'd be shocked if Reigns is champion past the summer or even Wrestlemania. 

Based alone on Main Event, you can bet that Pete Dunne and Ciampa are going to be in the Rumble. 

Gunther would also make sense, especially if the plan is to move him and Imperium up, which should happen soon one would think.   

Roddy Strong could do well as one of those guys who secretly lasts half an hour plus before some giant annihilates him.  Though I could also just as easily see him in and out in 30 seconds. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:34 AM, Chaos said:

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that we're getting Ronda Rousey entering this Rumble and winning?

I also just want to point out that it sounds like my hunch from a couple weeks ago may be a bit too accurate. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Are there any smarky WWE fans left?

I feel like any kind of smark/mark will have transitioned to AEW. At best they might stream the Rumble but I don't know if they are gonna pay for a seat to watch it live.

I know this can be hard to believe... but people are allowed to be fans of, and spend money on, both companies. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1