DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Completed my binging retrospect of old episodes of Starsky & Hutch.  Season 2 is by far the superior one with crazy ass X-Files-esque episodes like The Vampire, The Psychic, Bloodbath (about a mass-murdering cult leader) and The Las Vegas Strangler Pts. 1&2.

S3 does have gems like Starsky & Hutch on Voodoo Island and Satan's Witches.

Who did Paul Michael Glaser blackmail so that Starsky got to be Lynda Carter's love interest in The Las Vegas Strangler saga?  Maybe it was the car?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Worked well for Rocky and Apollo, although those circumstances were a bit different. They were not squashing anything, but getting it out of their systems, nonetheless.

...Shit, now this got me wondering how a match between Apollo and Clubber Lang would have turned out at that point? They clearly had beef to squash.

There never being a Rocky extended universe sucks, an Apollo vs. Clubber flick taking place between Rocky III and Rocky IV would have been great, I think Apollo wins in a bout reminiscent of Sugar Ray vs. Hagler. Also, Clubber vs. Drago both on the comeback trail and fighting sometime in the mid-90's would have been great.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

There never being a Rocky extended universe sucks, an Apollo vs. Clubber flick taking place between Rocky III and Rocky IV would have been great, I think Apollo wins in a bout reminiscent of Sugar Ray vs. Hagler. Also, Clubber vs. Drago both on the comeback trail and fighting sometime in the mid-90's would have been great.

Hell yeah, with Drago fucking up down on his luck and blackballed from big leagues Tommy Gunn on his way to a big redemption match against Lang, who would then proceed to beat him back to Russia until the events of Creed II happen.

22 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Honestly, the Clubber Lang prequel would be the best opportunity for a great movie in my book.  Who the fuck knows what he had to go through to become heavyweight champ.  You'd have to dig deep into the trauma that hardened him, the pain that made him adopt that persona, and how no one wanted to give him a chance.  I'd watch.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, the Clubber Lang prequel would be the best opportunity for a great movie in my book.  Who the fuck knows what he had to go through to become heavyweight champ.  You'd have to dig deep into the trauma that hardened him, the pain that made him adopt that persona, and how no one wanted to give him a chance.  I'd watch.

Looping this back to a TV discussion, with Amazon buying MGM there's a good chance they try to do something with the Rocky IP, Stallone has talked about wanting to do a Rocky prequel series set in the 1960's, that could lead to an Apollo and/or Clubber series. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Looping this back to a TV discussion, with Amazon buying MGM there's a good chance they try to do something with the Rocky IP, Stallone has talked about wanting to do a Rocky prequel series set in the 1960's, that could lead to an Apollo and/or Clubber series. 

Well they kinda already announced that they are doing a Drago movie spinoff

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/07/creed-spinoff-drago-to-expand-rocky-franchise-1234746275/

• Like 1

Not 2022 TV but just finished bingeing Mr Inbetween and I can easily say it’s in my top 5 shows of all time. 

The characters stuck with me big time, the relationship between Ray and his daughter, the way the show lets you “fill in the gap” for certain storylines,Gaz,Dave!,these are just a few reasons but I could honestly go on and on about how I love this show. I really hope they decide to go back just for a once off feature episode. 

S1E6, S2E9 and S3E1 are up there with the best episodes of tv of all time for me. 

• Like 2

Paramount+ posted the first Beavis & Butthead episode on YouTube:

Spoiler

I'll try to remember that Mike Judge hasn't done the voices or writing for these guys in close to 25 years (aside from a few episodes in 2011), so if it's a little too wordy or smart compared to the 90s, it is what it is. "Does The Universe" sorta had going on at times too.

At least they can lean into the fire references since what are the odds that another kid sets fire to their mobile home and it's blamed on the show?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Paramount+ posted the first Beavis & Butthead episode on YouTube:

Hide contents

I'll try to remember that Mike Judge hasn't done the voices or writing for these guys in close to 25 years (aside from a few episodes in 2011), so if it's a little too wordy or smart compared to the 90s, it is what it is. "Does The Universe" sorta had going on at times too.

At least they can lean into the fire references since what are the odds that another kid sets fire to their mobile home and it's blamed on the show?

I’m only 5 minutes into this, but this has had me laughing way too much. PLUS, Scott Seiss is doing voice work as the escape room employee, which is awesome. He’s someone I’m hoping is able to hit it big as a stand up comedian and his Tik Toks are hilarious.

• Like 2