DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I don’t really get why it was this story that brought them back.

They battled to get all five seasons of The Wire made over all those years; you think they WOULDN'T come back to it? After all the events took place that they're dramatizing? They were probably drooling over taking this on much more than HBO was wanting another Wire. 

Yeah, it ain't Better Call Saul, but this is an apples to oranges comparison. We should wait for all six episodes to play out as well. (And Bernthal's hair is such a bootlicker, shitbird cop cut that it's perfect. Anyone with hair like that, you know they have a Blue Lives Punisher logo on their truck.)

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Maria Bloom, who played Marla Daniels in The Wire, also appeared in last night's episode. 

Oh shit! It's the lady they interviewed for the shooting. I think the head wrap and bad teeth fooled me. 

• Like 1

Seems like the main point of this episode was to underline the cowardice of the police. Jenkins robbed someone smaller than him in an indefensible position and ran away. He cowered in fear behind his shield before ruthlessly attacking a protester who deigned to throw a brick his well-armed ass. He planted guns when he was in any kind of danger of being found out. The most egregious part, though, is him giving out $600 of chicken boxes and drinks to the cops tired from battering protesters with his stolen money, which could have fed any number of kids living in the areas he ostensibly patrols. Then he goes and hypes up all his coworkers like a junior dictator. The character is like Officer Colicchio had a brain. 

I'm amused by all the Wire dialogue that ends up in this series. There was one that really tickled me somewhere towards the beginning but I missed it on the second go-through; the one that stuck is "you sound like you're running for something" at the end. Not to mention someone dressed with "BALTIMORE POLICE" on his flak jacket claiming to be a federale! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Fox still hasn't worked out the renewals for 911 or The Resident yet

FOX has since worked out the renewals for both shows

New Kids in the Hall feels like wearing an old coat. I laughed out loud a bunch of times. The guys realize they're now a lot older and lean into it. But they still zag where everyone else in the game zigs better than any other sketch troupe ever. And they return a lot of their best recurring characters. 

The three shows in my life that shaped my sense of humor more than anything else are Kids, Conan O'Brien and MST3K. 

Also, I got a little misty eyed when Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet played. All-time perfect theme song. 

• Like 4

On 5/15/2022 at 7:38 PM, EVA said:

So, I watched 1883 a little while back, and it was…pleasant. I mean, it was very stupid at times, but my dream is for somebody to pump a lot of money into a new LONESOME DOVE adaptation, so I settled for this and was mostly not disappointed.

However, that led me to make the mistake of watching season 1 of YELLOWSTONE.

An unbelievably inept show. Taylor Sheridan is basically Nic Pizzolatto without an MFA. Just all macho bullshit, all the time.

I can only assume this show became a hit because a certain portion of the SONS OF ANARCHY audience needed somewhere to go and MAYANS M.C. wasn’t white enough.

It is extremely popular with the dudes on Texas sports board who complain about how there aren't enough Westerns and that everything out there is woke trying to cram feminism and gays down your throat.

I was really loving the final season of Ozark, right up until the last episode (and bits of previous episodes). They absolutely did not stick the landing with wrapping up that story, IMO. First half of the season was fantastic, and even the majority of Part II was great. But the finale was... not.

Spoiler

hate hate hate hate the quick redemption turnaround for Wendy. She spends countless hours of this show being a greedy, selfish piece of shit and then she goes into a mental health facility and all is good because she had a mean father? What the fuck? She sets all of this bullshit up with Camila, and then leaves Marty to do everything SHE set into motion.

I don't like Ruth dying. She worked so hard for so long, and then she gets killed for taking revenge on someone who killed her blood by... someone who is taking revenge for someone who killed their blood. Man, fuck that. I can buy Clare cracking under the pressure that quick when confronted explicitly about it by Camila, especially with graphic threats.

Jonah shooting Mel was fuckin' dumb.

But I know, at the end of the day, the story is exactly that little sliver of the conversation Wendy and Mel had. Basically, rich & powerful people always get away it. The ones they step on along the way suffer far greater than them. The Byrds were never going to get their comeuppance for anything they did.

• Like 2

In news that might be distressing for some - the next Yellowstone prequel series (tentatively titled 1932) will star Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren

• Haha 1

I can't begin to imagine how Harrison Ford is going to do a TV series when he can barely get motivated to act in Star Wars and doesn't give a shit whenever he's acting in anything else.

Conan should do a special one time show where he interviews Ford for this just so a high as fuck Ford makes fun of the series for a good 15 minutes.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In news that might be distressing for some - the next Yellowstone prequel series (tentatively titled 1932) will star Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren

Their combined ages?

• Haha 3

Question for the Brits who post here. I recently was watching the terrific BBC adaptation of "And Then There Were None" from 5 or 6 years ago and in it Lombard keeps referring to Blore as "Tubs" after everyone learns Blore is a cop. I know that's not from the book as I've read the book several times. Is it some kind of british slang? I don't think it's meant to mock Blore's weight as the character was being played by Burn Gorman who is like 160 pounds (and he even says at one point something like "Stop calling me that I'm not even fat").

7 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I don't think it's meant to mock Blore's weight as the character was being played by Burn Gorman who is like 160 pounds (and he even says at one point something like "Stop calling me that I'm not even fat").

I have no idea what this show is about but it's probably the very familiar usage of terms like Slim or some other such adages to nickname larger people. A reversal of terminology, if you weeeeel. 

Well apparently they are being bought by Nexstar

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/the-cw-sale-nexstar-1235073465/

And then from the article about the Fall lineup

The network’s sale comes as its business model no longer makes financial sense for its parent companies, Paramount Global and Warner Bros. Discovery. With the end of its $1 billion Netflix output deal, originals moved to Paramount+ and HBO Max as The CW’s ownership also retains lucrative foreign rights to programs like Walker and its new spinoff, Walker: Independence.

“I realize [the cancellation] pattern was different from years past and can see why it came as a bit of a shock to fans,” Pedowitz said. “None of these were easy decisions. We had long conversations with our studios and parent companies, and everyone recognized this was a time of transition for The CW. Difficult financial and strategic decisions were made at every level.”

After losing half of his roster of scripted originals, Pedowitz’s new fall schedule instead features additional unscripted fare (Magic With the Stars) and foreign acquisitions (Family Law, Professionals) in place of signature series like Supergirl (which concluded this past season). Despite the increased reliance on foreign series and unscripted, and with its sale to Nexstar pending, Pedowitz remains committed to scripted. “Shifting ownership doesn’t change our goals for our company for 2022-23,” he said, stressing that “content was never a factor” in the cancellation decisions.

While Pedowitz noted the pending sale will take time, he hopes that once a deal does close that its new ownership will help The CW expand into half-hour scripted originals and programs from studios beyond Warners and CBS. (The CW’s current model called for half its programming to come from each of its corporate parents.)

The Terminal List

The two main stars are Chris Pratt and Constance Wu but the full list of folks is...

Spoiler

The series stars Pratt, Constance Wu, Taylor Kitsch, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Riley Keough, Arlo Mertz, Jai Courtney, JD Pardo, Patrick Schwarzenegger, LaMonica Garrett, Stephen Bishop, Sean Gunn, Tyner Rushing, Jared Shaw, Christina Vidal, Nick Chinlund, Matthew Rauch, Warren Kole, and Alexis Louder.