DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

If Discovery handles this the way NBCUniversal handled their move away from scripted programming on USA, then most likely everything that’s already in production will get to finish out their current contract, but nothing is getting renewed.

So I would expect season 4 to be it for Snowpiercer.

Did anything move from USA to Peacock other than the Psych movies?

On 4/17/2022 at 9:08 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I finally pulled the trigger and got an HBO Max subscription. So, (besides Deadwood), what should I watch? I already caught half an episode of Winning Time and I'm hooked.

How To With John Wilson. There's nothing like it.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Have any of you actually watched Snowpiercer (the series) or Animal Kingdom? Are they actually...good?

We went through all of Snowpiercer earlier this year and liked it a lot. The best stuff is really good, almost a Babylon 5 kind of feel with factions and no one being right or wrong necessarily. The problem with the show is that it makes changes that are too massive too quickly. They could have played off elements of the season 1 status quo for five seasons or how things were at the start of season 2 for five seasons, etc. Too many turns, basically, especially for a setting which is inherently intractable without major consequences. It means there's always a sense of stakes but that the stakes are almost too big to really allow the personal issues to pay off. Still liked it a bunch though. You just have to get it through your head quickly that it's not the movie.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Craig Robinson’s new show Killing It is so funny. It’s a sharp takedown of hustle culture and the gig work economy, and Claudia O'Doherty (the Widow Bonnet on Our Flag Means Death) is an absolute treasure. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, Swift said:

I was moaning last week about the nostalgia cash ins of 80s and 90s material. I had no idea there's a Gremlins show out this year portraying the old Chinese guy's childhood days with Gizmo in China. Which makes you think if he was hanging with Gizmo since he was a boy, why did he end up selling his friend for money?

So on this week's episode of the podcast Yo Is This Racist?, Tze Chun was a guest and he's one of the writers/producers on this show. He said it's based in 1920s China and the old man is 10. He finds Gizmo and goes on a quest to bring the Mogwai back to his kind. Chun mentioned that the story is very Chinese, and that both Spielberg and Dante have involvement. 

I don't know about you but I think that sounds pretty promising!

52 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Craig Robinson’s new show Killing It is so funny. It’s a sharp takedown of hustle culture and the gig work economy, and Claudia O'Doherty (the Widow Bonnet on Our Flag Means Death) is an absolute treasure. 

Claudia was like the cutest human ever on Love, so this doesn't surprise me. She rules. 

• Like 2

I've expressed how much I'm enjoying Julia and realize it is dramatization but goddam... I want to believe that exchange with Fred Rogers actually happened at the Public Television Gala. It moved me because from the moment that scene tarted nd you heard that tone of voice you just knew it hd to be Fred Rogers and I love Fred Rogers a great deal. It made me sentimental because as a child I would watch Fred and Julia on PBS and both evoke such strong emotions for me. I love this show

James

Eh I am just putting this here because the two appropriate threads in the Comic Book Folder are long since dead and I am not bumping them

Melissa McBride will no longer appear in the Carol/Daryl Walking Dead spinoff series.

AMC says that because the series is supposed to be filmed (and set) in Europe "relocating there for the summer became “logistically untenable” for the star."

On 4/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, Craig H said:

Have any of you actually watched Snowpiercer (the series) or Animal Kingdom? Are they actually...good?

I started watching Animal Kingdom last year and have enjoyed it quite a bit. It kind of reminds me of the non-shitty run of Sons of Anarchy.

Despite some of the few earlier responses to it, I would say Pam & Tommy is worth checking out.  It's ultimately quite sympathetic to everyone involved, no matter how shitty some of their behaviors are.  The performances are mostly great, especially Lily James.  And while I'm usually against typecasting when possible, the world needs Coked-Out Nick Offerman ALL THE TIME.  Best of all Offermans.  One thing that kept taking me out of it, though, was how badly they used their music choices.  A huge chunk of the 90s hits they used were songs that came out *after* the events covered in their timeline, which was just sloppy as Hell.  I mean, one of the first ones they dropped was "Steal My Sunshine", which didn't even come out till '99. 

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Despite some of the few earlier responses to it, I would say Pam & Tommy is worth checking out.  It's ultimately quite sympathetic to everyone involved, no matter how shitty some of their behaviors are.  The performances are mostly great, especially Lily James.  And while I'm usually against typecasting when possible, the world needs Coked-Out Nick Offerman ALL THE TIME.  Best of all Offermans.  One thing that kept taking me out of it, though, was how badly they used their music choices.  A huge chunk of the 90s hits they used were songs that came out *after* the events covered in their timeline, which was just sloppy as Hell.  I mean, one of the first ones they dropped was "Steal My Sunshine", which didn't even come out till '99. 

Tough to beat "That snatch is branded!" hanging dong Offerman from Deadwood

"Shining Vale" is surprisingly great and hilarious. My wife put it on because she heard it was good and she likes Courtney Cox and she had no idea it was a bonkers reexamination/reimagining of The Shining. I recommend at least checking it out.

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Okay, TOKYO VICE, that was not a great way to end a season.

I liked but didn't love the end but it makes sense to end it there ONLY if there is a definite season 2.

As far as The Offer goes... I'm enjoying it but all it does is make me want to watch The Godfather again. I like the portrayal of Robert Evans because they could've made him over the top insane but didn't yet still you get the that energy to a degree

James

• Like 1

Like, TOKYO VICE was a great show, but that ending was so deeply unsatisfying, I would recommend that anyone who hasn’t started watching yet should wait until season 2 is announced to get on board.

I haven’t watched that show since Craig Kilborn was in the time slot, but if they’re going to stay with folks from the UK they should give it to Richard Ayoade. He’s the second funniest Brit I can think of (Matt Berry already has multiple series.)