DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Fairly mixed on Halo. I'm willing to see where it goes, and I will probably watch it once the season is fully done.

What annoys me about the show, some of the CG and visual FX are very good. Some look awful. 

Also, some of the acting is really bad, especially Kwan.

The Staircase

It is based on exactly what you think it is based on

The cast is giant but obviously Colin Firth and Toni Collette are 1 and 1a here

8 episodes. Starts May 5

Under the Banner of Heaven

This goes beyond just a murder. Watch the OFFICIAL TRAILER for FX’s Under the Banner of Heaven, starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, and Daisy Edgar-Jones. Premieres April 28. Only on Hulu.

From Executive Producer and Academy Award® winner Dustin Lance Black.

“Under the Banner of Heaven” is an original limited series inspired by the true crime bestseller by Jon Krakauer, which follows the events that led to the 1984 murder of Brenda Wright Lafferty and her baby daughter in a suburb in the Salt Lake Valley, Utah. As Detective Jeb Pyre investigates events that transpired within the Lafferty family, he uncovers buried truths about the origins of the LDS religion and the violent consequences of unyielding faith. What Pyre, a devout Mormon, unearths leads him to question his own faith.

Ella Purnell (Yellowjackets) has been cast in a leading role for Amazon’s Fallout series.

As with Goggins, Amazon had no comment on the character Purnell would be playing. According to sources, however, her character is described as upbeat and uncannily direct with an all-American can-do spirit. But an intensity in her eyes says she might just be a tiny bit dangerous.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, Log said:

Holy fuck, that first episode of Atlanta's new season.

If you've watched it, and didn't already know, it's actually based on real events.  

I can see why they felt the need to air it in a two episode block. It was a great episode, but a huge swing for the first new one in four years

• Like 1

'80s Japanese game show "Takeshi's Castle" to return on Prime Video

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- "Takeshi's Castle," a popular Japanese game show originally aired in the late 1980s, will return in 2023 when a new series will start on Amazon Prime Video, a Japanese broadcaster said Wednesday.

Tokyo Broadcasting System Television Inc., which broadcast the show featuring Japanese entertainment icon Takeshi Kitano during the asset-inflated bubble economy era, will produce a series tentatively titled "Fukkatsu! Fuun! Takeshi-jo" (revival! turbulence! Takeshi castle) for the U.S. on-demand streaming service.

The original show, aired between 1986 and 1989, proved a massive hit as the prizewinning film director and comedian, also known by his stage name Beat Takeshi, played the lord of a castle where he and his henchmen engaged in a water-gun battle with contestants eliminated after a series of physical challenges.

Known in Japan as "Fuun! Takeshi-jo," it also earned a cult following when it was broadcast overseas, including the United States, Britain and many countries in Asia and South America. Some countries produced localized versions of the game show.

The new series will be "bigger in scale that would not be possible on terrestrial TV, at substantial costs we plan to shoulder," a TBS official said during a press conference.

TBS has just opened the casting call in Japan and will begin filming sometime in the summer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lostinube said:

'80s Japanese game show "Takeshi's Castle" to return on Prime Video

TBS has just opened the casting call in Japan and will begin filming sometime in the summer.

Fuck YES.

Also, Halo is picking up, although it's obivious we're table setting to get into where the games pick up.

• Like 1

Paramount+ posted the first episode of Halo on their Youtube channel

Between this and giving the 30 days via Game Pass (because of Halo) - they really are using this series to juice their numbers

It has been a long time since a comedy had a debut season as good as Abbott Elementary. I think the last comedy that was as perfect right out of the gate was Freaks and Geeks. 

Every week, I walk away saying, "Wow, that was really good." It hasn't hit the high water mark of a classic episode of The Office or Parks and Rec. But every scene they've done works with both a good laugh line and/or advancing the plot and/or adding to the characters and the universe of the show. That's really impressive.

Can't recommend this show enough.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Paramount+ posted the first episode of Halo on their Youtube channel

Between this and giving the 30 days via Game Pass (because of Halo) - they really are using this series to juice their numbers

So what are thoughts on this so far? I liked the first two episodes enough, but I also have never played Halo and am damn near completely unfamiliar with the story. The most experience I have with Halo is Red vs. Blue.

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

It has been a long time since a comedy had a debut season as good as Abbott Elementary. I think the last comedy that was as perfect right out of the gate was Freaks and Geeks. 

Every week, I walk away saying, "Wow, that was really good." It hasn't hit the high water mark of a classic episode of The Office or Parks and Rec. But every scene they've done works with both a good laugh line and/or advancing the plot and/or adding to the characters and the universe of the show. That's really impressive.

Can't recommend this show enough.

I just watched the new episode. I love this show more with every episode!

James

• Like 1

Julia is wonderful. Take everything from Julie & Julia and jettison the Ju;ie parts. As a kid who grew up watching Julia Child I am always up for her in any form. One day I might even share the story of my botched attempt at Chicken Napoleon atthe age of 12.

James

Tom Pelphrey and Will Patton? Ok. I'm interested.

Although I will never not be annoyed seeing a trailer for a new Amazon tv series and realizing they could have continued on with the Expanse.