DVDVR Message Board

HARD TO KILL III - 1/8/2022

This is emanating from a place called The Bomb Center in Dallas.  There's something ironic there, I'm just not sure what it is.

THE CARD!

THREE WAY MATCH FOR THE IMPACT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Moose (c) vs. Matt Cardona vs. W. Morrissey

TEXAS DEATH MATCH FOR THE KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHIP - Mickie James (c) vs. Deonna Purrazzo

FOR THE X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP - Trey Miguel (c) vs. Steve Maclin

FOR THE RING OF HONOR CHAMPIONSHIP - Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Chris Sabin

FOR THE KNOCKOUTS TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The IInspiration vs. The Influence

KNOCKOUTS ULTIMATE X MATCH FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TO THE KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHIP - Chelsea Green vs. Jordynne Grace vs. Lady Frost vs. Rachael Ellering vs. Rosemary vs. Tasha Steelz

HARDCORE WAR MATCH - Eddie Edwards / Rich Swann / Willie Mack / Heath / Rhino vs. The Good Brothers / Violent By Design

Josh Alexander vs. Jonah

15 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Trey/Maclin has been moved to the preshow, with the stip that if Maclin loses then he can not get another shot while Trey is champion.

Either they are doing two preshow matches or Trey/Maclin is back on the main card because they announced a 4-way for the preshow

Laredo Kid, Chris Bey, Jake Something and Ace Austin are in the 4-way

Knockouts ultimate X was pretty fun with a couple crazy spots, though shorter than I expected. The right woman won IMO, glad to see a big well deserved victory for Tasha. Though Tasha's win here made me feel Deonna's chances were lessened. 

Thought for sure Maclin was going over so I was pleasantly surprised to see Trey retain - awesome victory for him, loved the escalation from the huge Meteora off the apron to the outside to the finishing stretch in the ring.  Great match and feud blowoff here. 

Josh/Jonah was great as expected. Hardcore War was fun violence and a good win for the babyfaces until the ROH Invasion killed them. Popped for PCO showing up and I'm glad to finally see Mike & Maria back in Impact in some form, always loved their previous run here.

World title match was super solid even though the ending was never in doubt as I figure the endgame is always to get back to Josh/Moose. Still had some fun near falls throughout this one.

Main event was pretty awesome, but this I definitely did originally think Deonna was going to win the title back going in to this show. They definitely went all out with tacks, blood, and weapons. Been a great feud. Bizarre to hear them talking about the Royal Rumble as a story point on an Impact PPV. Tasha/Mickie will be good stuff as will Deonna going after Rok-C for the ROH title. Good show overall.  

Full results:

Spoiler

Countdown Preshow:

*Jake Something def. Madman Fulton (5:25) after the Black Hole Slam.

*Speedball Mike Bailey def. Ace Austin, Chris Bey, & Laredo Kid (8:23) after a shooting star kneedrop on Ace.

IMPACT Hard to Kill 2022 - Live from Dallas, TX

*Tasha Steelz def. Chelsea Green, Lady Frost, Alisha Edwards, Rosemary, & Jordynne Grace (9:03) to become #1 contender to the knockouts championship. 

*Trey Miguel(c) def. Steve Maclin (12:44) after a third Meteora to RETAIN the X Division Championship.

*Jonathan Gresham(c) def. Chris Sabin (12:12) with a rollup to retain the ROH Worlds Heavyweight Championship in a Pure Rules match.

*Josh Alexander def. Jonah (15:37) via ankle lock submission.

*Heath, Rhino, Rich Swann, Willie Mack, & Eddie Edwards def. Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Eric Young, Joe Doering, & Deaner (23:19) when Heath pinned Anderson after Rhino hit the Gore in a Hardcore War. After the match, Matt Taven, Mike Bennett, Vincent, & PCO (w/ Maria Kanellis) arrived to take out the babyfaces. 

*Moose(c) def. Matt Cardona & W. Morrissey (15:43) after the Spear on Cardona to retain the Impact Worlds Heavyweight Championship.

-Impact returns to PPV in April with Rebellion from Poughkeepsie, NY

*Mickie James(c) def. Deonna Purrazzo (19:38) after the Mickie-DDT in a Texas Deathmatch to retain the knockouts championship

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

Good to see a ROH like faction in IMPACT except for the big problem that Vincent and his group has been feuding with Taven and Bennett for almost a year and now they are partners.  but I figure people in IMPACT don't even know about that feud

• Like 3

Jonah-Josh Alexander proved worthy of seeking out.  Both are top level performers.  I'm pleased this match was able to be worked cleanly, without any overbooking, all the way thru to the finish. 

Maclin-Miguel was excellent.  Maclin is a super fun and nasty assbeater.  

This is the most I've ever enjoyed the Impact 'brand'.  Tom Hannifan is an excellent pick-up.  Tom and Riccaboni would make for the best team in wrestling.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

Yeah I don't know if Tom really prepared himself for the show or is a strong indie wrestling fan but seemed quite knowledgeable about the wrestlers when maybe 70% of them never stepped foot in the WWE.  It also helps that you are replacing Striker and frankly a tree split in the middle is better than Striker most of the times

Maybe I am being conspiratorial but I wonder if Deonna would have won if it wasn't announced that Mickie James is going to the Royal Rumble.   Clearly it wasn't going to be "winner of the match gets in the Rumble" situation

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

I suspected Maclin-Miguel and Jonah-Alexander to be good, and both met my hopes.  I decided to dive deeper and eventually go all the way with this Impact PPV.  This is the first in the history of the company that I've seen (mostly) from start to finish (tho, in my own running order).  Moose-Morrissey-Cardona was next, and it too was solid.  Happy to see Moose go over.  I always hold out hope that Impact would start protecting this guy like a Titan Sports top 'superstar'.  He has it all, he just needs to stop from ever being booked like a goof again.  

Gresham-Sabin was also really solid.  I missed the opening stretch of this, but they closed it out nicely.  Nice to hear Riccaboni.  I wasn't a regular ROH viewer, but have always admired his delivery.  

After a snooze, I returned to the show for the pre-show 4 way.  Seems like an uncalculated waste to have Bey, Laredo Kid, Ace Austin and the debuting Mike Bailey on the pre-show.  The match was okay.  It'll be interesting to see Bailey repping as a TV wrestler and how that might alter some of his 'indie-riffic' attributes.  I also checked out the Women's Ultimate X.  4 way plus matches and especially multi-person gimmick matches are something I associate with TNA/Impact and is one of a number of reasons I've had little interest over the years.  This Ultimate X match however worked pretty well.  I like all these ladies and they worked hard here. 

I decided to break again before the other multi-person match which I hadn't realized was under back and forth timed entrance rules ala wargames-sorta.  I must admit I have little patience for WWETV style hardcore.  Can we at least get a goddamned moratorium on shiny flimsy garbage cans.  This had some cool spots like Doering DVDing Swann thru barbedwire and Eric Young piledriving Edwards thru the table.  And Edwards' running dives to the outside were incredible.  But for all the good this one was marred by the needless shitty weapons (was that door made out of styrofoam?).  I doubt I'm alone in thinking how much better it would be to see these guys working without all the unnecessary plunder?  Also, Cody Deaner's sell on Rhino's big entrance chain shot was Dark Order Punches bad.  I dug the ROH run in to close out the segment, but it lacked logic as an outside invasion by going a little long and nobody coming down.  I wish they had brought a wall of their own masked security to stop anybody from entering.  I'm a PCO fan and happy to see him get a little run here.  Is there anybody out there executing more realistically painful spots than Carl Ouellete?  Maria Kanellis looked like a big bright shining star here.  I don't know Bennett, but he looked nice and aggressive pounding the random Impact wrestlers.  I'm fine with these guys having feuded in ROH previous, but banding together for a new cause in Impact.    

I lastly watched the Main Event.  I liked that they chose to feature Purrazzo-James.  Unfortunately, from Penzer's awkward annoucement of the awkward rules forth I was nowhere near into this.  I could only bear to skim it.  That said, I am very fond of Deonna Purrazzo.  I know little of Mickie James' work, but I like her presence and natural babyface charisma.  I despise dumb rules allowing for dumb non-finishes like Purrazzo being rolled up and pinned early over nothing.  And then James tapping to a submission with the ref senselessly breaking it up in a no DQ match.  This was disjointed everywhere.  The piledriver spot thru the table looked terribly unsteady, but also kinda awesome.  Matthew Rehwoldt coming down to lift Deonna was fine for this (shitty) story of a match, but clearly positioning her and awaiting a Mickie dive was some serious wrestlecrap.  I found this especially difficult to watch knowing how much better it would've been as a straight up wrestling match.  

This PPV was very hit and miss.  The misses were the traditional TNA style overbooked WWE lite hardcore stuff.  When they settled for a less is more approach like with Maclin-Miguel and Alexander-Jonah the show worked.  Both of those matches were fantastic.  There are too many consistently weak elements with this company that they are too stubborn to see, but there's nonetheless some reason for feeling a glimmer of hope right now.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1