DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

They Slash Them is a pretty good "Synopsis is in the title" title for a Horror movie.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2022 at 11:54 AM, RIPPA said:

I dont think this one will make you feel any different

I am gonna be infuriated if this ends up being the reason Lance Riddick no longer voices Zavala

Yeah, I hate that trailer, too.  I will also hate it if Lance no longer voices Zavala.  He is the sole survivor of the AAA voice cast for Destiny.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:49 AM, Curt McGirt said:

The Sadness was the craziest fucking movie I've seen in years, and it ranks up there with anything else. Anything.

Reveal hidden contents

There is a thankfully unseen, very long moment of sexual intercourse with the empty eye socket of a living human being. Yep. 

It's also super smart and topical, yet at the same time incredibly appalling. It's sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and savory. I'm dumbfounded.

Crossed was a crazy ass comic book that really weirded me out, so I have been really hesitant to watch The Sadness.  The info in the spoiler section does not really inspire me to track this movie down anytime soon.

My main issue with the film is that the aforementioned scene and a few others are more exploitative than the movie as a whole. It’s gory arthouse horror, a series of nightmares. It gets a tad too goofy in an unpleasant way a couple of times, but I liked it. As far as the other sexual scenes, they’re all at least clearly supposed to be perceived as acts of violence rather than as erotic. I wouldn’t begrudge anyone for not watching it though; it’s certainly a subjective matter of taste and tolerance. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2

Don't Worry Darling starring Florence Pugh, Harry Styles, Olivia Wilde, Gemma Chan, KiKi Layne, and Chris Pine.

Has a real Stepford Wives feel to it.  Should be fun.  The upbeat symphonic music playing behind the weirdness unfolding in front of you is quite disconcerting.

Edited by J.T.

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

JT hates my posts from like a week ago in the regular thread

I am sorry, man.  Just scanning my YouTube feed while dealing with network inspection and the pain in my arm that has lasted since I put shelves together for my mom over the weekend which is probably something horrible like a pinched nerve.

1S_DoctorJekyll_High-1-691x1024.jpg

Your eyes do not deceive you.  Dr. Jeckyll will be a woman and the infamous red formula will metamorphosize her into the body of man.  Curious to see what Izzard will do with the materiel.  Not sure of the connotations of the trans transformation.  Dark comedy?  Scathing social satire?  I guess we will find out.

Edited by J.T.

Holy shit, The Sadness is soooooo fucked up.  Fifty percent of the budget must've been on fake blood and internal organ mock-ups.  Definitely one of the most unapologetically violent things I've ever seen as well as being a not-so-subtle Fuck You to Chinese COVID policy.

Thanks for the recommendation, guys.  It is one of the great movies I'll never watch again for as long as I live.  It is intelligent, heartbreaking, and totally grotesque.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

1S_DoctorJekyll_High-1-691x1024.jpg

Your eyes do not deceive you.  Dr. Jeckyll will be a woman and the infamous red formula will metamorphosize her into the body of man.  Curious to see what Izzard will do with the materiel.  Not sure of the connotations of the trans transformation.  Dark comedy?  Scathing social satire?  I guess we will find out.

• Haha 1

It is worse.  Together Again is The Nutty Professor with toilet humor and lacking the comedic genius of Jerry Lewis. 

At least Together Again is self-aware and has Robert Louis Stevenson rolling in his grave at the end of the movie.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Any of you devotees ever watched this? Its on TCM app aright now.

It was on TCM Underground over the weekend.  I DVRed and should be watching it sometime this week.

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Men was really good, but so unsettling that I think I missed out on little details.  I will have to go and see it again and then unpack and analyze.

Hey, Watcher starts this weekend.... just in time for me to go on graveyard for two weeks.  Urgh..

Edited by J.T.

On 5/19/2022 at 4:40 PM, J.T. said:

Holy shit, The Sadness is soooooo fucked up.  Fifty percent of the budget must've been on fake blood and internal organ mock-ups.  Definitely one of the most unapologetically violent things I've ever seen as well as being a not-so-subtle Fuck You to Chinese COVID policy.

Thanks for the recommendation, guys.  It is one of the great movies I'll never watch again for as long as I live.  It is intelligent, heartbreaking, and totally grotesque.

Man, I started it last night, and I turned it off like 40 minutes in. It wasn't getting into the meat of whatever the fuck was happening quickly enough for me. Goddamn was that subway train scene fun, though. I don't think it sucks so far, it just didn't grab hold of me like I thought it would.

The gore is pretty fun, and I am definitely into the social commentary aspect of it. As I'm sure many other people have already mentioned, it feels a lot like Crossed, but less fuck-y so far.

I'm going to try to get back into it tonight, but I just wasn't in the right headspace last night.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

Watched a couple more off the All The Haunts Be Ours set.

Witchhammer (1970) - loved this, absolutely infuriating. A beggar woman is caught pocketing a communion wafer, under the mistaken belief that giving it to a sick cow will get it to give milk again. An overzealous priest uses this as an opportunity to bring in an inquisitor to root out heresy. Things snowball from there as confessions are made under torture and more and more people are accused. Hatred and distrust of women, corruption of power. The Crucible is the obvious comparison, but I get a lot of The Passion of Joan of Arc, with lots of close-ups of grotesque faces. There's a really effective shot to show the passage of time by cutting back to a field where the number of smoking, burned out stakes keeps increasing. Big recommendation, the inquisitor is now one of my favourite, hated villains in film. Just a completely disgusting person

Viy (1967) - fun, but definitely a step down from Witchhammer. A young Russian priest beats an old witch near to death, but flees when she turns into a young woman. Later he is told that he is being summoned by name to give the funeral rites of the young woman, who is the daughter of a wealthy landowner. She passes by the time he gets to the farm. This means that he has to spend three nights locked in the church with her corpse while praying over her. Tone was strange throughout, as a lot of it plays like a light bouncy comedy. Something about the film and its score reminded me of Disney's live action films of the 60s and 70s. The lead is quite good, as he tries to cover his fear with over the top bravado, while getting blind drunk during the days to steel himself for the nights. Some charming effects and costumes, the eponymous Viy is especially fun.

• Like 2