DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

Slayers (Red Band Trailer)

I watched this trailer a few weeks ago and I guess never posted it

Looks like goofy fun but since it is vampires it is going here

Technically you could argue that both Abigail Breslin and Malin Akerman have turned into Scream Queens which is something I don't think I would have predicted

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:40 AM, RIPPA said:

Slayers (Red Band Trailer)

I watched this trailer a few weeks ago and I guess never posted it

Looks like goofy fun but since it is vampires it is going here

Technically you could argue that both Abigail Breslin and Malin Akerman have turned into Scream Queens which is something I don't think I would have predicted

I posted Trailer 1 here around the first of the month.  This looks like dumb fun.  I think I may check it out.

Went up to JMU to visit my daughter for Friends & Family weekend and of course we went to a showing of Smile after dinner and the football game.  

Smile is not entirely bad, but it is the not so good version of It Follows sans creepy cinematography.  It does not come out and say that the threat is demonic, but it has all of the tropes of a traditional demonic malevolence movie and if your monster is a demon, you may as well come out and say it's a demon and follow the rules of a classic possession movie.

Smile tries to be an onryo, demonic possession, and Lovecraftian horror joint all rolled up into one and doesn't really do any of those genres exceptionally well, but that's not to say that Smile is completely worthless.  I'll probably write up a more detailed review for the Secret Satan project.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Someone read our thread and posted episodes of the 1987 Werewolf series.   Chuck Connors is the one of the best werewolves ever.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first episode of SHO's Let The Right One In series was not bad.  The kids that play Eleanor (Eli) and Isiah (Oskar) are carrying this show on their backs despite the adaptation focusing more on the adults in the story.  Grace Gummer plays a biochemist in some sideplot where she is studying alleged cases of vampirism.  It's alright and it serves to frame vampirism as an affliction rather than a curse, but it feels like filler. 

I wish they'd just let Demián Bichir chew on all the scenery he can in between the vampire attacks.  I might enjoy the show a little more.

Also for full context - here is the next part of the interview after that Tweet

AVC: Fair enough!

JC:  But I hear you, I hear you. There’s metaphorical horror. But all movies have … they don’t have messages. They have themes. Thematic material, and some horror films have thematic material. The good ones do.

AVC: What’s the balance that needs to be struck there, between the themes, and just scaring the shit out of people?

JC: When a scary scene comes along, we should be scary. It all depends on what we’re looking at on the screen. That balance is done by the director. [Referring to himself and his composing team] We’re just carpet. We’re just carpet men here. Your hardwood floors need a carpet? We provide it.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, RIPPA said:

M3GAN

I saw this trailer in my queue on my phone on the way to work tonight.  I am looking forward to watching Yandere Chucky this coming January.  It looks like dumb fun.

I forgot to post the trailer for Grimcutty which debuted on Hulu on October 10th.

Yeah, someone made a movie out of the Poppy Playtime / Huggy Wuggy Says Kill Your Parents thing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

In case you were wondering what the newest iteration of The Most Dangerous Game was going to look like.

Hounded aka Hunted

Directed by Tommy Boulding

Cast: Samantha Bond, Malachi Pullar-Latchman, James Lance, Larry Lamb

I think this is going to be released simultaneously in theaters and VoD by the 25th of this month.  Just in time for your 31 Days of Halloween viewing.

The first trailer for Bunker, the horror standout at the Buffalo Film Festival.

I feel that this movie is Death Watch by another name, especially since it looks like this trailer shows the entire movie and the premise is almost identical to Death Watch.

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Werewolf by Night was that too,in a way.

Werewolf by Night was the Disney version of The Beast Must Die without Calvin Lockhart as the monster.

• Like 2