DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

Nix, the new folk horror joint from the director of Sharknado (yeah, I know), now has a hard release date of September 27th.   

I have to say that this shit looks pretty good.

Edited by J.T.

I don't recall if it was ever discussed in here or the doc thread but there is a 2021 doc available on Prime called Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror and it is fantastic. It properly starts off with British cinema's Unholy Trinity,  Witchfinder General, The Blood on Satan's Claw, and The Wicker Man , and then delves into the literary origins of British folk horror and its impact on cinema and television, including children's shows. It then jumps over to the U.S. to discuss its parallel but distinct development of the genre. From there it begins a world tour that starts in Central and South America, jumps to Australia, New Zealand, Eastern Europe, and Asia.

Even with a three hour and twelve minute running time it feels like it barely scratches the surface. But what a scratch! A ton of film clips. An army of talking heads filmed for this doc as well as archival interviews touching on a range of topics, from back-to-the-land movements, the 60's and 70's fascination with mysticism & the occult, real-life cults , Nazism,  the genre as a reaction to the feminist movement,  and on and on.  

A must watch for any fans of folk horror. Prepare to make a long list of films and books to add to your pile.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Execproducer said:

I don't recall if it was ever discussed in here or the doc thread but there is a 2021 doc available on Prime called Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror and it is fantastic. It properly starts off with British cinema's Unholy Trinity,  Witchfinder General, The Blood on Satan's Claw, and The Wicker Man , and then delves into the literary origins of British folk horror and its impact on cinema and television, including children's shows. It then jumps over to the U.S. to discuss its parallel but distinct development of the genre. From there it begins a world tour that starts in Central and South America, jumps to Australia, New Zealand, Eastern Europe, and Asia.

Even with a three hour and twelve minute running time it feels like it barely scratches the surface. But what a scratch! A ton of film clips. An army of talking heads filmed for this doc as well as archival interviews touching on a range of topics, from back-to-the-land movements, the 60's and 70's fascination with mysticism & the occult, real-life cults , Nazism,  the genre as a reaction to the feminist movement,  and on and on.  

A must watch for any fans of folk horror. Prepare to make a long list of films and books to add to your pile.

Funny you brought it up, because I'm going to a screening of Secret Ceremony on the 23rd. Kier-La Janisse, who directed the documentary and curated the All These Haunts Be Ours folk horror set, is going to be there to present it. It's part of the 10 year anniversary of the release of her book, House of Psychotic Women.

It's the only one I'm able to make, but the theatre is also screening Identikit, I Like Bats, Ms. 45, Morvern Callar, and Der Fan as part of the program that week.

If you liked the doc, I would highly recommend picking up the set from Severin films, Shudder also has a few from the set as well

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

Deadstream

• Director: Joseph Winter, Vanessa Winter
  • Writer: Vanessa Winter, Joseph Winter
  • Stars: Joseph Winter, Melanie Stone, Jason K. Wixom

Heard pretty good things about this horror comedy.  Seems like a lot of movies are getting snatched up by streaming services like Shudder rather than see traditional theatrical releases.   The genie is now out of the bottle thanks to COVID and can never be put back in.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Heard pretty good things about this horror comedy.  Seems like a lot of movies are getting snatched up by streaming services like Shudder rather than see traditional theatrical releases.   The genie is now out of the bottle thanks to COVID and can never be put back in.

To be fair - for a lot of these types of movies, that is a good thing

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - for a lot of these types of movies, that is a good thing

I agree.  Streaming makes it easier for us to catch the horror movies that would otherwise fly under our radar, especially foreign films like Saloum.  TBH, I would rather that horror movies debut on streaming services like Shudder or ScreamBox rather than the usual limited release during the "scary movie dump months" from January to March.

It would be nice if Criterion Channel did not hog the lion's share of early 90's classic J-Horror, though.  It is one of the only places where I can still see House.

hausu5.jpg

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Damn.  Saloum just broke my heart.  What an awesome movie that was.  I hope there are some boobs on House of the Dragon tonight.   I need cheering up.

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe not how you expected them. 

You can always watch Valley Girl. TEAM DOTTIE!!!!

• Haha 1

I had to put this here

Although Beard figured people might be surprised — and maybe even frightened — by her daughter’s doll, the last thing she expected was for strangers to swoon over it.

As they ate breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe, the pastry chef — who is apparently a Halloween enthusiast — made Briar a special spooky cupcake and a chocolate placard for the Haunted Mansion.

“She was just gushing,” Beard said of the pastry chef. “We were blown away.”

After breakfast, they went to the Haunted Mansion — a popular attraction at the Magic Kingdom park — where tourists and staff “just lost their minds over her,” Beard said, adding that they were also invited to go backstage to explore the “secret” servants’ quarters. Briar “was just beaming.”

After their time at Disney World, Beard shared her daughter’s unusual doll on Facebook, thinking friends and family might get a kick out of it.

“This is what it looks like when you take your 3 year old to the Spirit Halloween store and she absolutely insists on buying the creepiest baby doll you’ve ever set eyes on,” she wrote in a post, before detailing their day at Disney.

“Creepy Chloe might be stealing my soul while I sleep, but we are making the best of our time left over here!” she continued.

Again, to Beard’s amazement, people were charmed by the terrifying toy. Her post — which featured several pictures of Briar with her beloved doll — was shared more than 13,000 times. Given the reaction, Beard created an Instagram account to showcase Briar and Creepy Chloe’s continued adventures.

Now I should note that Spirit Halloween sent the family a second doll because they didn't want Chloe to be alone so when the portal to hell opens, y'all know who to blame

• Like 3

I will be on graveyard shift from now until next Sunday, so I am counting on one of YOU brave souls to go see Pearl and tell us how it was.  I won't be interested in anything other than eating, sleeping, and work for the next week and a half.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I will be on graveyard shift from now until next Sunday, so I am counting on one of YOU brave souls to go see Pearl and tell us how it was.  I won't be interested in anything other than eating, sleeping, and work for the next week and a half.

Would you settle for a recap of all the French new wave heist films I'm now watching this week?

Can you count Elevator to the Scaffold as horror?