DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Another installment in the V/H/S series (V/H/S/99) is coming out this fall. The last installment was way better than I expected so here's hoping this one continues that upward momentum. 

V/H/S/2 is probably the best installment, but /94 finally had a meta-arc that was nearly as good as the individual stories.  The Empty Wake, Terror, Storm Drain, and The Subject are all great tales.

/Viral was disappointing.  Dante the Great was far too good of a segment to be stuck with the other stories.

Edited by J.T.

Final Summer

Directed by John Isberg.

Starring:  Thom Matthews, Bishop Stevens, Carl Bailey.

Release date appears to be sometime in October.

Looks like we've got a cool retro slasher movie to look forward to this Halloween.

The Harbinger

Directed by Andy Mitton (We Go On, The Witch in the Window)

Starring:  Gabby Beans, Emily Davis

Should already be out in Canada.  Haven't seen a US release date.  We Go On and The Witch in the Window are Shudder exclusives so I'd wager that The Harbinger will end up there as well..

Edited by J.T.

57 minutes ago, J.T. said:

V/H/S/2 is probably the best installment, but /94 finally had a meta-arc that was nearly as good as the individual stories.  The Empty Wake, Terror, Storm Drain, and The Subject are all great tales.

/Viral was disappointing.  Dante the Great was far too good of a segment to be stuck with the other stories.

I have no idea how I missed the fact that there was another V/H/S movie after Viral.  I need to remedy this.  Thanks!

My daughter and I saw NOPE last night and thought it was pretty good.   It was cool how you expect to know everything because you've seen the trailers and then nothing happens the way you thought it would.   I am a big fan of unexplained terrors, so I appreciated the Lovecraftian "here is bad shit, good luck with it" nature of the movie.

Spoiler

I am still not sure how the whole Gordy piece fits into the wider narrative.  Jupe does not seem to be terribly traumatized by the events of his childhood.  Maybe there is a wider significance that I am missing?   I'll have to watch it again for analysis.

I did figure out that one of the reasons that Jean Jacket was territorial was that Jupe was feeding it the Heywood horses on a regular basis just for pure spectacle.  What predator gives up a free meal?  That also explains why Jupe was all uhhhhh when OJ wanted to set up an arrangement to buy back the horses he sold to Jupe.

So Jean Jacket was like a gigantic flying shark.  Heywood Sr. died during one of Jean Jacket's gut expectorations because like a shark, it regularly purged its digestive system of matter it cannot digest.  Like metal.

Edited by J.T.

32 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My daughter and I saw NOPE last night and thought it was pretty good.   It was cool how you expect to know everything because you've seen the trailers and then nothing happens the way you thought it would.   I am a big fan of unexplained terrors, so I appreciated the Lovecraftian "here is bad shit, good luck with it" nature of the movie.

Hide contents

I am still not sure how the whole Gordy piece fits into the wider narrative.  Jupe does not seem to be terribly traumatized by the events of his childhood.  Maybe there is a wider significance that I am missing?   I'll have to watch it again for analysis.

I did figure out that one of the reasons that Jean Jacket was territorial was that Jupe was feeding it the Heywood horses on a regular basis just for pure spectacle.  What predator gives up a free meal?  That also explains why Jupe was all uhhhhh when OJ wanted to set up an arrangement to buy back the horses he sold to Jupe.

So Jean Jacket was like a gigantic flying shark.  Heywood Sr. died during one of Jean Jacket's gut expectorations because like a shark, it regularly purged its digestive system of matter it cannot digest.  Like metal.

Spoiler

I think the Gordy things is purely symbolic, and not connected on a story level. Jupe failed to learn the right lesson, as seen both in how he has detached himself from the trauma and continues to embrace that part of his history, and, more damaging, he was still trying to tame something wild for entertainment and profit. He didn't exactly understand what was happening, that JJ was an animal eating the horses, not a flying saucer abducting it. But he still thought he could control something that is not human in order to create spectacle. And, while he survived being part of that same mistake as a child, this time it killed him, his family, his audience, and even his fellow survivor.

The Gordy rampage scene was also, imo, far and away the best part of the movie and where the film finally became interesting.

• Like 2

Yeah:

Spoiler

There is a recurring "respect nature or it will literally bite you in the ass" vibe going on.  Gordy freaked out because of the balloons popping onstage, just like how OJ's horse freaked when it saw its reflection in the camera guy's light gauge.  OJ earns his living by gaining the respect of animals, so he knows exactly what is going on with Jean Jacket.  He is our Animal Whisperer.

And as with Gordy, Jean Jacket is killed just being Jean Jacket.  It isn't good or evil; it is just an animal doing what nature intended it to do, and man's perversion of its behavior is what makes it more violent than normal.  Tigers aren't born man-eaters.  They acquire the taste by killing a human in the course of defending itself and its territory.

I think it is cool that most people assume that Jean Jacket is from another planet simply because of the alien motif going on in the film and the saucer shape that Jean Jacket takes when hunting.   I think it is also likely that Jean Jacket could be a terrestrial cryptid.  One of the oldest living things on earth and the last of its kind.  Perhaps Jean Jacket is the reason for all of those missing people in the Bermuda Triangle in the Peele-verse and the reason the disappearances stopped is because Jean Jacket moved to a different hunting ground?

NOPE is definitely just as thought provoking as Get Out! or Us, but it prods a much different set of musings from my brain.

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah:

Hide contents

There is a recurring "respect nature or it will literally bite you in the ass" vibe going on.  Gordy freaked out because of the balloons popping onstage, just like how OJ's horse freaked when it saw its reflection in the camera guy's light gauge.  OJ earns his living by gaining the respect of animals, so he knows exactly what is going on with Jean Jacket.  He is our Animal Whisperer.

And as with Gordy, Jean Jacket is killed just being Jean Jacket.  It isn't good or evil; it is just an animal doing what nature intended it to do, and man's perversion of its behavior is what makes it more violent than normal.  Tigers aren't born man-eaters.  They acquire the taste by killing a human in the course of defending itself and its territory.

I think it is cool that most people assume that Jean Jacket is from another planet simply because of the alien motif going on in the film and the saucer shape that Jean Jacket takes when hunting.   I think it is probable that Jean Jacket could be a terrestrial cryptid.  One of the oldest living things on earth and the last of its kind.  Perhaps Jean Jacket is the reason for all of those missing people in the Bermuda Triangle in the Peele-verse and the reason the disappearances stopped is because Jean Jacket moved to a different hunting ground?

NOPE is definitely just as thought provoking as Get Out! or Us, but it prods a much different set of musings from my brain.

Yeah 

Spoiler

Eldritch horror seems equally likely as interstellar beast. But it's also sorta irrelevant where JJ came from. He's there, he's hungry, and Jupe thought he could make him a show, which caused him to stay in that one area for six months...

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah 

Hide contents

Eldritch horror seems equally likely as interstellar beast. But it's also sorta irrelevant where JJ came from. He's there, he's hungry, and Jupe thought he could make him a show, which caused him to stay in that one area for six months...

But that's the whole point, right?

Spoiler

Knowing where Cthulu comes from is useless information.  He is going to eat your mind anyway.  

Same with Jean Jacket.  It is there and you have to deal with it.  The knowledge of knowing whether or not Jean Jacket is from earth or another planet will not enhance your odds of survival.  Knowing how it behaves and adapting to its behavior is how you live to see another day.

Also, as you say, there is the obvious parallel between Gordy and JJ as they both pertain to Jupe.  The cast of Jupe's television show suffer just as Jupe and his spectators suffer when the creature they are trying to make a spectacle of goes batshit. 

And naturally, all of that ties into the Biblical quote at the beginning of the movie.

Also I think that Jean Jacket's saucer form is a larval stage.  I believe it assumes its adult form right before it is killed when it tries to eat the balloon.

Edited by J.T.

Fuck.

Uzumaki will be pushed back past the second release date of October 2022.  

TBH, the quality of the Junji Ito anthology on Crunchyroll kinda sucked, so I am a little relieved that the project is delayed.  I have high expectations, so this series needs to be really good.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Bodies, Bodies, Bodies has a 94% Freshness rating on RT.

And 74 on Metacritic.

Both of which are remarkable because holy fuck did the first trailer for it look fucking awful.

53 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Is replacing the N in Disney with Pi an Internet meme thing I am too old to understand?

No. Somebody thought they were being clever. I've heard enough Pyun movies reviewed on the Zac Amico's Midnight Spook Show podcast that Albert feels like a family friend.

• Like 1