DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

It is like the inbred retard love child of A Cure for Wellness, a dozen Cronenberg body horror movies, and some horror joint about crazy white people holding day laborers against their will whose title escapes me right now.

I will probably watch it with my kid and laugh at its lack of restraint.

A photo from the set of the 50 Cent produced horror joint, Skill House:  a horror fable harpooning the realm of social media influencers.

As you can see, Josh Stolberg (writer of Jigsaw and Spiral) is writing and directing Skill House, so gore hounds need to be ready.  Skill House stars 50 Cent (who IIRC is also a producer), Hannah Stocking, Neal McDonough and Leah Pipes.

No release date has been announced yet. 

Edited by J.T.

Challenge accepted, Adam Ellis.

Off the top of my head, my list of horror directors with three or more great horror films in their catalogue:

• Wes Craven (Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, The People Under the Stairs)
  • George Romero (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, The Crazies)
  • David Cronenberg (The Fly, Rabid, Shivers, The Brood, Scanners, The Dead Zone, Videodrome)
  • John Carpenter (Halloween, They Live, The Thing, Prince of Darkness)
  • Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Hush, Ouija: Origin of Horror, Absentia, Doctor Sleep, Gerald's Game)
  • Mario Bava (Black Sunday, Black Sabbath, Planet of the Vampires)
  • Ti West (House of the Devil, X, The Innkeepers, The Sacrament)

Dario Argento has always been hit or miss.  I was forced to admit to myself that Takashi Miike's horror is mostly splatter masquerading as horror.  Lucio Fulci movies are great to me, but there are a lot of movies in his respective catalogue (and Mario Bava's for that matter) that were obviously made to either earn a paycheck or fulfil a contract. 

Hideo Nakata has problems making good horror movies that aren't based on anything written by Koji Suzuki, the author of Ring.  Takashi Shiimizu has problems making good horror movies that have nothing to do with Ju-On:  The Grudge.  Kōji Shiraishi infuriates me when he makes great movies like NOROI:  The Curse or Teketeke and then turns around and makes dumb pink movies to keep the cash flowing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Why do you hate Alfred Hitchcock or are you trying to claim he isn't a horror director?

The latter.  I don't think that even Alfred Hitchcock would call anything he's done "horror" except maybe for The Birds.   He probably thought of Psycho as a suspense thriller with crime elements just as he did with his other classics like Rope and Vertigo.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I thought I was dumb for forgetting Tobe Hooper, but Poltergeist really was secretly directed by Stephen Spielberg, wasn't it? 

I'd still say that Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Toolbox Murders, and Eaten Alive would qualify him for the list.  Probably Lifeforce too if we are counting films that were panned and became cult classics later on once people figured out how awesome they were, which we are since that is pretty much the story of John Carpenter's career.

Edited by J.T.

THEY/THEM

Starring Kevin Bacon, Carrie Preston, and Anna Chlumsky

Written & Directed by John Logan (Oscar nominated for writing GladiatorThe AviatorHugo)

--

Premieres August 5 on Peacock.

• Like 1

Holy shit, dudes.

Director by Ben Parker

Starring: Tom Felton, Charlotte Vega, Harriet Walter, Bill Milner.

A unit of Russian soldiers tasked with the secret mission of transporting Hitler's remains out of Germany are set upon by Nazi werewolves.

Naturally, the first thing I thought of when I heard "Nazi werewolves" was:

american+werewolf+in+london+1981+rick+ba

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Including these: 

Fulci (Yes. The zombie tetralogy and the painfully cruel The New York Ripper AND Don't Torture A Duckling and A Lizard in a Woman's Skin.)

Argento (Yes, Argento. His entire run up to The Stendhal Syndrome.) 

Amando de Assorio (Blind Dead films and The Loreley's Grasp)

Paul Naschy (take your pick)

COFFIN JOE/Zé do Caixão

Not all of them are great great, but they work for me. And not letting Hooper in is criminal. Texas Chainsaw 2 is the second best movie he ever made. 

...I also haven't seen any of the Mike Flanagan films so I will quietly leave haha

EDIT: Okay, not so quietly. Jean Rollin has The Grapes of Death and all of his vampire movies. Might be a bridge too far for some though. Does Tod Browning count? We got Dracula and Freaks, but I haven't seen his later horror stuff. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Coffin Joe/Jose Mojica Marins:

Holy shit, this is the most NSFW thing I think I've ever posted, so watch out. Your mind might be torn. And morally, you need to take in mind that his character (and personal life, probably, since he had like 14 kids) was extremely sexist and nihilistically Nietzschean. We are all adults though. If there's a problem with people being whipped in Hell let me know and I'll take it down. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

NOPE was great. It was like some kind of Jaws/Tremors/Signs hybrid with the best live action Akira Motorcycle slide you're gonna see.
At one point I started to tear up because for the first time in a long time I really felt wonder while watching a movie in a movie theater.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched The Deadly Spawn with a friend not too long ago. 1983 cheapie about a meteor strike that unleashes giant worms with rows of teeth on a small town. The transfer on Shudder is pretty terrible, looks like a digitized VHS copy, but it really snuck up on us with how enjoyable it was. The first scene was mostly done in silhouette, so we figured that there would never been a good glimpse at the monsters, but there turns out to be some pretty fantastic puppets and fun gore. Best scene is the worms interrupting a vegetarian pot luck brunch being held by a group of elderly women.

Definitely a fun watch if you're in the mood for a Critters style monster movie

• Like 2

Oh man The Deadly Spawn is awesome fun. Watching that as a kid was especially great because what else do you want at that age? The only thing I think I can compare it to is my memories of The Being or Prophecy (thank you Stephen King) or some other gory monster rarity from the VHS heyday. 

• Like 1

Can't believe I missed some of those trailers. Burial sounds wild. They/Them slaps you in the face with the verbal emphasis in the title at the end. It also looks really triggering so put your big pants on for that. Kevin Bacon is one of the low key best actors we have. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:36 AM, jaedmc said:

NOPE was great. It was like some kind of Jaws/Tremors/Signs hybrid with the best live action Akira Motorcycle slide you're gonna see.
At one point I started to tear up because for the first time in a long time I really felt wonder while watching a movie in a movie theater.

My daughter went to the funeral of the aunt of one of her friends to support her homegirl during a rough time, so we did not go see Nope on opening weekend.   I am saluting her mature decision and will wait to take her this coming weekend.  I am avoiding spoilers and reviews like the plague so that I can remain as in the dark as possible about the plot.

Pearl

This is the prequel movie to X

Ti West wrote and directed this and filmed it "in secret" immediately after X was done filming

Technically spoils X if you care about that sort of thing

• Like 2

Another "whole film in the trailer" deal but it looks utterly wild. 

Leviathan is on TV right now. I thought it was an Alien ripoff before but it is clearly a Thing '82 ripoff in actuality. And what a murderer's row of character actors! 

Peter Weller as Steven Beck

Richard Crenna as Dr. Glen "Doc" Thompson

Amanda Pays as Elizabeth "Willie" Williams

Daniel Stern as Buzz "Sixpack" Parrish

Ernie Hudson as Justin Jones

Michael Carmine as Tony "DeJesus" Rodero

Lisa Eilbacher as Bridget "Bow" Bowman

Héctor Elizondo as G. P. Cobb

Meg Foster as Ms. Martin

Eugene Lipinski as Russian Captain

Tom Woodruff Jr. as Lead Creature

For some reason I thought Miguel Ferrer was in this too but I was thinking of lesser film Deep Star Six that was released at practically the same time and practically has the same setup. 

• Like 1