DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

Final Trailer for Nope

It is a 3 minute trailer and definitely gives away more of what is going on and it isn't that hard to put some sequence of events together.

However - it is still fucked up so who knows how much it really spoils things

• 2 weeks later...

Abandoned

Emma Roberts, John Gallagher Jr and Michael Shannon

It has Michael Shannon so I really don't need to say anymore to get you to watch it

It hit theaters today but I don't think it had been mentioned yet.

This is the first movie released under the Vertical Entertainment/TPC partnership

Just sitting down to watch Phantasm for the 1st time, and I've got a genuine question 

The guy who plays thr best friend of thr older brother, Reggie i think is the best friend.. Is that Hank from Breaking Bad? Maybe not the right name, but I'm thinking of Walts brother-in-law that was a cop? 

no fucking way same guy from Phantasm, the ice cream dude, is the cop brother in law, is it?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Hayabusa said:

Just sitting down to watch Phantasm for the 1st time, and I've got a genuine question 

The guy who plays thr best friend of thr older brother, Reggie i think is the best friend.. Is that Hank from Breaking Bad? Maybe not the right name, but I'm thinking of Walts brother-in-law that was a cop? 

no fucking way same guy from Phantasm, the ice cream dude, is the cop brother in law, is it?

Haha no. But I totally see the resemblance now that you mention it.. Reggie from Phantasm's real name is Reggie Bannister and he's like 17 years older than Dean Norris who plays Hank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, The Black Phone starts this Friday and is 100% Fresh on RT!

We'll see how things look on Thursday when the bulk of the reviews will come in, but I am stoked for now.  The reviews seem to point at the movie being pretty standard and saved by Ethan Hawk carrying the production on his back over the finish line.  That in and of itself might be worth matinee ticket money.

Edited by J.T.

He's really the only draw for me. From the trailer, there's not much mystery to me as to how that movie is going to play out, and I'm already not super into ghost movies.

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

He's really the only draw for me. From the trailer, there's not much mystery to me as to how that movie is going to play out, and I'm already not super into ghost movies.

I love a good ghost revenge movie.  I know this probably won't be The Devil's Backbone levels of goodness, but hopefully it will be close to something like Stir of Echoes.

Edited by J.T.

Black Phone looks like you can probably figure it all out from the trailer. Abandoned and especially Smile look like some GOOD ghost movies though. That last bit in the Smile trailer made me go "WHOA!!!"

Also, damn you gonna put that in the Top Gun trailer lineup? Bet some young viewers flipped. Top Gun is only what, PG-13? That trailer is pretty much Red Band.

EDIT: Jae said the exact same thing about Black Phone and I didn't even realize it haha

EDIT yet again: Smile looks like a riff on It Follows.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 1:16 PM, RIPPA said:

Abandoned

Emma Roberts, John Gallagher Jr and Michael Shannon

It has Michael Shannon so I really don't need to say anymore to get you to watch it

It hit theaters today but I don't think it had been mentioned yet.

This is the first movie released under the Vertical Entertainment/TPC partnership

So, Abandoned is Certified Rotten (19% on the Freshmeter), but has an RT audience rating of 75% which means it's probably really good.

Edited by J.T.

Barbarian

Written and directed by Zach Cregger.

Starring Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long, Matthew Patrick Davis, Richard Brake, Kurt Braunohler and Jaymes Butler.

In theaters on August 31st!

Edited by J.T.

Black Phone was pretty good.  Held together by several strong performances especially Ethan Hawke, Mason Thames (Finn, the protagonist), Madeleine (Gwen, the protagonist's kid sister), and surprisingly Jeremy Davis as the kid's abusive and alcoholic father.

Definitely had a Stir of Echoes / Sixth Sense feel to it in that the ghosts slowly lost their sense of identity in the afterlife (the whole River of Lethe thing where dead souls drink the water and forget their former selves) and that angry ghosts are able to affect things in the real world by moving objects aka poltergeists.  

Joe Hill's work is proving to be way more easier to adapt to the big screen than his father's.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The Invitation

Directed by Jessica M. Thompson.

Starring: Nathalie Emmanuel, Thomas Doherty, Stephanie Corneliussen, Alana Boden.

In theaters on August 26, 2022!

Edited by J.T.

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

After reading the synopsis of the story I'm wondering how much Joe Hill writes like his father, topically. Because ghosts and endangered children are really, really close to his dad's heart. 

Yeah.  While I admire the courage it takes to portray evil as something that does not discriminate based on age and is so cowardly that it chooses its victims from the most vulnerable among us, Hill and his dad sure do like to put kids in the ickiest scenarios imaginable just to prove a point.

Edited by J.T.

Derrickson apparently left Multiverse of Madness after having a breakthrough about abuse from his childhood (I’m sure the script disagreements didn’t help) and The Black Phone was his way of processing it. 

Ironically, Raimi’s MoM has Strange recount a story about losing a sibling at young age in a way that’s similar to how Raimi lost his brother Sander, who was the one who got Sam into comics. 

• Like 2

Gone in the Night

Directed by Eli Horowitz.

Starring:  Winona Ryder, Dermot Mulroney, John Gallagher Jr., Owen Teague, Brianne Tju.

In theaters on July 15th!

Edited by J.T.

Watched Glamster's Crypt Marathon #20 last week.  Totally forgot that this thing was once a thing.

Also forgot that John Kassir aka the Voice of the Crypt Keeper actually had an acting role in the episode, Oil's Well That Ends Well.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Don't do this very often, but...    

My friends and I are working on making a queer cast-led horror movie.  We'd love it if you could help us out:

I've been told the premise and it's pretty sick (you know, in that good, horror way).  

• Like 4

You are in luck.   Tomorrow is payday and I am getting a decent wad of cash for working overtime while I was on graveyard during the last training exercise.

I kicked in $100.  I can spare the loot.  The rest will be shoved into my kid's 529 so that the state can help me foot the bill for her college tuition.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1