DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

Ok. The only thing I can remember her being in other than Burton movies is Harry Potter and was basically a horror movie villain in that. 

After them, I’ll leave this to people like JT and Curt.

25 minutes ago, Control said:

We’ve almost always had horror guys. Karloff and Lugosi. Price, Cushing, Lee. A couple of Lon Chaneys. Do we have that now? Most recent I can think of is Robert Englund, and he’s old as hell.

Tobin Bell would be more recent between SAW and all the other smaller horror projects.
There's not a ton of people who are into making a career being bad guys. The gal from the first Paranormal Activity has kind of come close, but only within that series. Bill Mosely and Richard Brake(speaking of Rob Zombie) are in that mold, though not even close to mainstream, like a Christoper Lee.

It could be attributed to  a focus on ghosts and zombies and stuff that can be CG'd, and actors not wanting to be type cast as - "that guy who murders teenagers in the woods."

Could be called a lot worse these days, I'd say.

• Like 1

I actually wonder if the missing ingredient is TV. Like, if you weren’t buying tickets to horror movies in the 20th century, you might still see these guys on TV—movies getting played for cheap on the weekend, etc. And you have to watch what’s on.

But now, if you’re not seeking out horror films, you’d just never encounter them and their actors, right?

But Patrick Wilson isn’t scary! If you were a talk show host planning a Halloween-themed episode, you wouldn’t think “you know what would be great? If we got noted horror guy Patrick Wilson.”

Or I guess another way of putting it: if Patrick Wilson shows up on some sitcom, they probably aren’t gonna do a joke where he’s dressed up like Dracula.

4 minutes ago, Control said:

But Patrick Wilson isn’t scary! If you were a talk show host planning a Halloween-themed episode, you wouldn’t think “you know what would be great? If we got noted horror guy Patrick Wilson.”

Or I guess another way of putting it: if Patrick Wilson shows up on some sitcom, they probably aren’t gonna do a joke where he’s dressed up like Dracula.

Maybe that would have been Gilbert.

3 hours ago, Control said:

I actually wonder if the missing ingredient is TV. Like, if you weren’t buying tickets to horror movies in the 20th century, you might still see these guys on TV—movies getting played for cheap on the weekend, etc. And you have to watch what’s on.

But now, if you’re not seeking out horror films, you’d just never encounter them and their actors, right?

If Mads Mikkelsen did more full on horror he'd probably be exactly what you're looking for.

• Like 2

Yeah I got no idea. The days of the Horror Star might just be over. Honestly that is a great thing because it means that actors aren't typecast like they used to be. Just look at what happened to Bela: a great theatrical actor who came over from Hungary without knowing the language and knocking it out of the park every time ends up addicted to morphine living in a tiny bungalow in LA, all because he did Dracula and nobody saw him as anything else again. People now know that actors don't "just" have to do a certain kind of picture. 

• Like 2

Holy shit the Night House. Lead actress lady really had the same energy as one of my daughters and it was really adding some serious unsettleness that really fucked me up. Scary shit. Not sure I bought the ending but if I head canon that it’s all in her fucking head and she just super super depressed I think it makes it even worse

On 4/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, RIPPA said:

The Innocents

The Nords reminding us that children are evil

Is a 100% on RT (for the minimal reviews it has so far)

(US release date is May 13 - had been in some film festivals and was released in Norway and Poland end of last year)

Just a reminder that the limited release for The Innocents begins tomorrow.  Sadly, it does not look like it is playing in the 804.  I'll have to check AMC+ or another streaming service.  It's not even playing at the weird release theaters near me that show the first run foreign films. 

7 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Holy shit the Night House. Lead actress lady really had the same energy as one of my daughters and it was really adding some serious unsettleness that really fucked me up. Scary shit. Not sure I bought the ending but if I head canon that it’s all in her fucking head and she just super super depressed I think it makes it even worse.

Rebecca Hall caried that movie on back.  The premise was weird and I was happy that the movie elected to stay away from the potential Magical Negro situation and have her character figure out the weirdness on her own.  

I think that it was about 50 / 50 as far as what was going on in her head vs. what was actually happening.  You have to think that her character wasn't so imaginative or creative that she dreamed up that elaborate plot about her husband on her own.  Some of those events, including the preternatural ones, had to be "real," but certainly her struggle with grief and depression was central to the plot.

The Night House was a kinder, gentler Hereditary.

Edited by J.T.

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Another teaser for Resident Evil

I hate it.  The recent Welcome to Raccoon City movie had more Resident Evil in it than this abomination.

First Kill

@J.T. - your daughter has probably aged out of this demo but Netflix is doing a "supernatural" teen show where a monster hunter falls in love with a vampire

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

First Kill

@J.T. - your daughter has probably aged out of this demo but Netflix is doing a "supernatural" teen show where a monster hunter falls in love with a vampire

Yeah, my kid will be 20 in December.  She has moved on to better things.... like Hatching.

She's home from college for the summer and we're going to see Dr. Strange on Sunday to celebrate the end of her Freshman year.  As far as our summer blockbuster schedule goes, I think she is more excited about me taking her to see Nope than she is about Thor:  Love & Thunder.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Hey!  I totally forgot that Firestarter starts this weekend in theaters and also on Peacock!  The reviews are really bad, but who really cares if you're watching on Peacock for zero dollars?

Edited by J.T.

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

I hate it.  The recent Welcome to Raccoon City movie had more Resident Evil in it than this abomination.

I dont think this one will make you feel any different

I am gonna be infuriated if this ends up being the reason Lance Riddick no longer voices Zavala

The Sadness was the craziest fucking movie I've seen in years, and it ranks up there with anything else. Anything.

Spoiler

There is a thankfully unseen, very long moment of sexual intercourse with the empty eye socket of a living human being. Yep. 

It's also super smart and topical, yet at the same time incredibly appalling. It's sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and savory. I'm dumbfounded.

• Like 2

One of the cool things about The Sadness is that it has a bunch of character designs that feel like they’re immediately iconic. The businessman from the subway, the little leaguers, the greaser kid with the sunglasses, etc. 

• Like 2

It's very Dawn of the Dead in that respect (and others), definitely. But it's also very Shivers and Evil Dead and Dead Alive and 20 Weeks Later and... okay, I'll stop now. That is not to take absolutely anything away from it either. It. Rules.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, J.T. said:

Whether or not it's shit, one thing will be certain: Lance Reddick will be good in it.

• Like 3