DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Can't start a big DC event without killing a beloved character for absolutely no reason just to get over how bad the bad guys are.

Only to have them either revived at the end by rebooting the universe or introducing a multiverse replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

i feel like i'm usually overly negative recently, especially about redesigns and stuff like that, so i wanted to point this out. DC is revamping the "Detective Comics" logo, and i think it just looks fantastic.

• Thanks 2

On 6/25/2022 at 9:31 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

Fables 152 was a bit of a table setter, but it did introduce a new character that was meant to be in the original series.

It will interesting to learn if this is how Bill would have used him originally or this is an evolution of that.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It was brought to my attention that DC, prob for the first time, recently published an80s collection that contained Alan Moore’s Twilight proposal. 

if i wasn't on my phone, i'd make a DC/Moore/Brokeback Mountain "i can't quit you" meme

I finished reading All-Star Superman. Personally, I thought it was kind of weird. I've read a lot of weird Grant Morrison stories, so you'd think that wouldn't be a problem, but I read that Morrison wanted to create a timeless Superman story and to me it kind of came across as a weird European arthouse take on Superman. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I was familiar with the Silver Age stories that Morrison drew inspiration from, but I kind of felt like Alan Moore wrote better Silver Age homage stories prior to Crisis, and possibly later on with those Image characters (I haven't read that stuff yet.) I did like the overall portrayal of Superman. He was extremely likeable. I didn't care for the portrayal of Lois or Jimmy, though, and I didn't like how Quitely drew them either. I suppose I'm not a big enough Superman fan to truly love a series like this, but it show plenty of heart despite how strange it was at times. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cinder and Ashe is another worthy Jose Luis García-Lopez side project from a time when DC was releasing a slew of mini series to the direct market. The artwork was nowhere near as gorgeous as Twilight, but it was a different genre. Conway has a reputation as a bit of a hack, but I thought he did a deft job of weaving together the narrative on this series, incorporating the use of numerous flashback devices to provide a backstory for the series while driving the central narrative forward. In fact, it felt more a leftover pitch from Conway's TV work than a regular comic script. The only fault I found with the series was the Master of Kung Fu style yellow coloring for Asian characters. I would have thought that was completely unnecessary in 1988. 

Dark Crisis’ full title is Dark Crisis on infinite Earth.  It’s being billed as on “official” sequel to CoIE.

Somehow, I’m less interested now than I was before.  And my interest level wasn’t that high to begin with,  I like Joshua Williamson’s writing  so I will pick this up eventually, but it may be awhile.  My backlog is already really long with older runs from the last 30-40 years and not a lot of Marvel or DC is interesting me right now.  Both companies have a reasonable of writers I like (Taylor, Gillen, King, etc.) but I end up not being too interested in their projects.  A lot of writers I like are working with artists I dislike on concepts I don’t care about.  

Honestly, only two Marvel/DC books are on my “must read asap” list: Flashpoint Beyond and Miracleman: The Silver Age.  It may be years before I get around to reading John Ridley’s Batman work or King’s Batman/Catwoman series (and I’m fairly interested in both of those; big fan of Ridley’s work on The American Way.

2 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I guess Pariah wins. More earths like I wanted. Wonder if they have the balls to destroy Earth 0.

What is Earth 0?  The main world most DC comics have been set on since…. CoIE?  Or something else?  I still think of the main continuity as Earth 1 (One), but Google suggests that is no longer the case.  

Do “Crisis” events still sell well?  I mostly find runs too tied up in crossovers and special events to be skippable.  The crossover elements tend to be less interesting to me than whatever was going on the book before the plot lines got detailed.  Marvel’s doing this right now.  I am kinda intrigued by Gillem’s Eternal and X-men books and Ewings X-men title, but the ongoing plots seem likely to be back-burnered or dropped entirely so the books can focus on the A-X-E.

51 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

What is Earth 0?  The main world most DC comics have been set on since…. CoIE?  Or something else?  I still think of the main continuity as Earth 1 (One), but Google suggests that is no longer the case.  

Do “Crisis” events still sell well?  I mostly find runs too tied up in crossovers and special events to be skippable.  The crossover elements tend to be less interesting to me than whatever was going on the book before the plot lines got detailed.  Marvel’s doing this right now.  I am kinda intrigued by Gillem’s Eternal and X-men books and Ewings X-men title, but the ongoing plots seem likely to be back-burnered or dropped entirely so the books can focus on the A-X-E.

Earth 0 is where the current line of books take place. In the old days it was just New Earth or fan terms like clutter Earth.

• Thanks 1