DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

I finished Tomb of Dracula Magazine, which ran for six issues. There was no reason for them to resurrect Dracula for this series. At first it seemed like the magazine would continue on from where the monthly series left off, but then Wolfman left, and it became more of a Dracula anthology series (something they could have easily done without resurrecting the character.) Roger McKenzie writes some of the stories, and the last issue is penned by none other than "James" Shooter himself. As with the other Marvel black and white mags, the highlight is the gorgeous artwork from the likes of Colon and Buscema. There's even a quirky Ditko story, whose Dracula has a passing resemblance to Dr. Strange. Tomb of Dracula is one of my favorite Marvel comics from the 70s, and I was surprised to learn that the magazine came out only a month after the regular series ended. Instead of being excited about more Dracula stories, I found the magazine largely unnecessary and not worth reading even if you're a fan of Tomb of Dracula. 

• Like 1

I read Hulk: Future Imperfect and The Thanos Quest, both of which would make my (very short) shortlist of best Marvel comics of the 90s. The former is set in a future where the Hulk has become the insane ruler of a nuclear wasteland, and the latter sees Thanos travel around the cosmos kicking butt and collecting Infinity Gems. Both books have outstanding artwork, Perez on Future Imperfect and Ron Lim on The Thanos Quest, as well as solid writing. Peter David was knee deep in his Hulk run at this time, and Starlin had just made a triumphant return with Silver Surfer. In many ways, this was the end of "my" era of Marvel where the writers still had equal billing to the artists. I was particularly impressed by Ron Lim's artwork. I didn't realize that he was so good. My biggest memory of Lim is being profoundly disappointed when he took over the pencils on Infinity Gauntlet. What surprised me most was the range of facial expressions he was able to get out of Thanos, especially those looks of despair whenever he was in the doghouse with Mistress Death. Villain-led titles aren't the easiest to pull off, but Thanos is such a multi-dimensional character that Starlin is able to make it work. You know he's going to succeed in his quest and claim all of the Infinity Gems, but it's a bunch of fun. The Maestro in Future Imperfect is likewise charismatic, and quite an outstanding character in an era not renowned for introducing a lot of new outstanding characters. So yeah, thumbs up for both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

With gaps in his memory, Ben is slowly turning heel.

I'm not surprised by this unfortunately. Can it be actually worse than what Dan Slott and Peter A David did to poor Ben Reilly in the Dead no More: The Clone Conspiracy and Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider?

• 2 weeks later...