DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Growing up I went to the comic store and found a standalone book for my favorite Marvel guy, I thought I'd gone to heaven because I hadn't ever seen it.  Of course I bought all 4 immediately: 

670803.jpg

Series was okay, but still...  I needed a way to start this thread, and this was as good an excuse as any. 

• Like 3

Big year for Spider-Man celebrating his 60th anniversary. We're waiting to see who'll be the next creative team on The Amazing Spider-Man after Beyond ends. It's not happening but I'd love Grant Morrison on the book with what he's done with two out of the big three, Batman and Superman. Neither is Christopher Yost who is so underrated. I think it'll be Chip Zdarsky and I'd be happy with that. Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 was a masterpiece, it's in my top five Spider-Man stories ever. My Dinner With Jonah from PP:TSSM #6 is great and I really liked Spider-Man: Life Story.

I'm most looking forward to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Part One (2022). There's big expectations following from the universal acclaim awarded to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). It's the best Spider-Man movie and one of the best comic book movies ever made.

The 40th anniversary was memorable with Spider-Man (2002) debuting on the silver screen and Joseph Michael Straczynski writing The Amazing Spider-Man. The 50th, Dan Slott was on TASM. Alpha was fucking terrible, the Lizard story called No Turning Back was bad but it ended on a great though controversial story, Dying Wish. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) also came out in cinemas.

To me Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character, he's always been my second favourite hero behind naturally (no pun intended) Batman. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, J.H. said:

That Iceman mini is totally batshit insane to my recollection

James

Yes, it really, really is.   God, it crams time travel, an existential crisis, and Iceman fighting a cosmic entity into four issues - along with about eight other things.  The really impressive thing is that writer JM DeMatteis somehow managed to rip off Back to the Future even though the mini-series came out well before the movie.

It's not a great read.  JM DeMatteis wrote the book near the tail end of his great Defenders run, and it tries to meld his penchant for navel-gazing, inner monologues, and cosmic horror with a typical 80's superhero book, and the results are somewhat mixed.  Not bad, particularly if you like DeMatteis, but probably not the book kids who were watching Iceman on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends were looking for.

I do still get a kick out of Bobby Drake's neighbor - she's actually a supervillain and the daughter of a cosmic entity - telling him she could never love him because he's - horror of horrors - an accountant.  Also, even as a a forty-something adult, i find the idea of Bobby Drake running around de-iced in white boots and tiny white booty shorts - his entire X-Men costume in the 80's - disturbing.  He does a lot of that in this book, for some reason or other.

I dig almost everything DeMatteis wrote in the 80's prior to Justice League, but this isn't one of his better efforts.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 12:45 AM, The Natural said:

Big year for Spider-Man celebrating his 60th anniversary. We're waiting to see who'll be the next creative team on The Amazing Spider-Man after Beyond ends. It's not happening but I'd love Grant Morrison on the book with what he's done with two out of the big three, Batman and Superman. Neither is Christopher Yost who is so underrated. I think it'll be Chip Zdarsky and I'd be happy with that. Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 was a masterpiece, it's in my top five Spider-Man stories ever. My Dinner With Jonah from PP:TSSM #6 is great and I really liked Spider-Man: Life Story.

I'm most looking forward to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Part One (2022). There's big expectations following from the universal acclaim awarded to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). It's the best Spider-Man movie and one of the best comic book movies ever made.

The 40th anniversary was memorable with Spider-Man (2002) debuting on the silver screen and Joseph Michael Straczynski writing The Amazing Spider-Man. The 50th, Dan Slott was on TASM. Alpha was fucking terrible, the Lizard story called No Turning Back was bad but it ended on a great though controversial story, Dying Wish. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) also came out in cinemas.

To me Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character, he's always been my second favourite hero behind naturally (no pun intended) Batman. 

I agree. When I hear Marvel I ultimately think of Spider-Man.  I would love to see Morrison's take on the iconic character. His Batman run was unique and I picked up his Superman omnibus but have yet to read it (heard good things)    2022= year of the Spider....Man

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I agree. When I hear Marvel I ultimately think of Spider-Man.  I would love to see Morrison's take on the iconic character. His Batman run was unique and I picked up his Superman omnibus but have yet to read it (heard good things)    2022= year of the Spider....Man

Morrison's Batman is amazing from start to end. I don't know how he'd handle Sidey. I always feel the brst Spidey stories aren't the long drawn out game changers but rather the smaller personal stories (and I do not consider "Fearful Symmetry" to be a long drawn out story, I mean it was told over 3 books in  2 months. If Marvel editorial published it at any point after 1990 it would've gone on for a whole year if not more!

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

39 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Morrison's Batman is amazing from start to end. I don't know how he'd handle Sidey. I always feel the brst Spidey stories aren't the long drawn out game changers but rather the smaller personal stories (and I do not consider "Fearful Symmetry" to be a long drawn out story, I mean it was told over 3 books in  2 months. If Marvel editorial published it at any point after 1990 it would've gone on for a whole year if not more!

James.

Well said. I fucking love Grant Morrison's Batman run (2006-2013). Best comic book run I've ever read and I've re-read it a bunch. Highlights:

Spoiler
  • Bruce Wayne and Talia al Ghul having a son, Damian Wayne brought into continuity.
  • An attack on Batman’s mind leading to Batman of Zur-En-Arr, a backup personality.
  • Dr Simon Hurt is a menacing occultist big bad. Professor Pyg is so creepy. The use of Talia al Ghul and the reveal she's the head of Leviathan. Doctor Deadlus, a Nazi war criminal afflicted with Alzheimer's.
  • Darkseid trying to clone an army of Batman, all but one die unable to cope with the trauma Batman's gone through.
  • Bruce Wayne/Batman breaking a lifetime promise against firearms using a gun to shoot Darkseid. Man beats God.
  • Damian as a future Batman #666.
  • Batman thought dead but gets sent back in time.
  • Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne becoming the new Batman and Robin is the best thing from the run. The chemistry between the two.
  • Bruce Wayne starting Batman, Incorporated.
  • Batman, Incorporated vs. Leviathan.
  • Spyral.
  • Death of Damian Wayne.
  • Bruce Wayne literally becoming a bat.
  • Talia al Ghul dies.

I'd like to plug:

Need to post my countdown of the best stories from the run so this will act as a reminder.

All Star Superman was great, ditto Action Comics in The New 52.

34 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Morrison is only interested in maybe writing Lee and Ditko's Spider-man.

Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's Spider-Man is my favourite period of Peter Parker/Spider-Man so I'm all for that. I'd take Grant Morrison writing any Spider-Man be it a comic book run, limited series or alternative universe. Whatever Grant wants.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Watch Morrison,being Morrison, gives us the definitive Mindworm or Stegron stories we never knew we needed!

James

Between Animal Man and Seven skiers, who knows how deep in Spidey lore he could delve for a good story?

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Between Animal Man and Seven skiers, who knows how deep in Spidey lore he could delve for a good story?

I know you meant 7 Soldiers but now I want our boy Grant to do a series about a daredevil 7 man slalom rescue team in the Ural Mountains

James

• Like 1

Re: Inferno 4.

13 year old me in 93-94 would have been really excited for his favorite X-Men character to have such a huge moment.

Moira was disappointing, which isn't on the writing, just the design and how COVID destroyed her own solo series which would have given her more groundwork we needed for her motivations and feelings. Or maybe it's an emotional attachment thing where I, like the other characters, might wish she believed and felt otherwise. I have that lingering with X-books in a way I don't with literally anything else in the MU or DCU.

I liked the way they tied things off.

Bring on Kieron Gillen to see what he can do with it all next.

4 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I read Marvels for the first time (yep, that's right.) Is it the best Marvel comic of the 1990s, and if so, does it bother anyone that the best Marvel comic of the 90s was a reimagining of the glory days instead of something completely new? 

I'd say Marvels is the best Marvel comic of the 1990s and it doesn't bother me it's a retelling of key Marvel moments. Best comic book of the decade, I'd have it second to DC's Kingdom Come.

Edited by The Natural

35 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I read Marvels for the first time (yep, that's right.) Is it the best Marvel comic of the 1990s, and if so, does it bother anyone that the best Marvel comic of the 90s was a reimagining of the glory days instead of something completely new? 

Given most of Marvel's output in the 90s, not a shock.  ?

2 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

yes, and no.  Kurt Busiek is downright amazing.

i'm a sucker for Marvel mining their history. "the Marvels Project" is another personal favorite.

Double posting, but the other deal with Marvels is that the 80s was full of deconstruction of characters, but a sort of reconstruction or reexamination of the primary material in a positive way, especially of the actual material and not a pastiche was quite rare and novel and welcome at the time. Instead of tearing something down, it was building it back up and celebrating it and looking at it with modern eyes. I'd argue that maybe Alan Moore's Supreme did that to a degree as well. And a few other things in the 90s.

• Like 1