DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2022

Dolfan in NYC

As much as I don't like the sanctioning bodies and having multiple meaningless belts/trinkets, I'm so glad they largely haven't changed their looks. I like that the WBC belt is the still the "green" belt. Also, the Ring magazine title still basically looks the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As much as I don't like the sanctioning bodies and having multiple meaningless belts/trinkets, I'm so glad they largely haven't changed their looks. I like that the WBC belt is the still the "green" belt. Also, the Ring magazine title still basically looks the same.

In full agreement.

14 minutes ago, waffle said:

Serrano/Taylor was incredible. What a fight for boxing. 

I was pulling for Amanda but I thought she stepped off the gas right after she had Katie hurt. Moreover, even when Katie Taylor isn't really landing anything of consequence, she always looked busy. She always going to get those close rounds. In the closest fights Katie Taylor has had, she manages to eek them out on that. It felt like Amanda had to win at least 2 of the last 3 rounds, and it felt like at best you can only give her one.

This is where fighting two minutes round really comes into play. If there was one more minute in the round where Katie was hurt, that's a TKO win for Amanda Serrano. With that said, Amanda let her back into the fight and seemed to be arm weary by the end. Hell of a fight though.

While four high quality fighters (Oscar Valdez, Shakur Stevenson, Katie Taylor & Amanda Serrano) gave us two top tier fights last night, I would remiss in not mentioning that 19 years ago Vassiliy Jirov and James Toney gave us a fight on HBO Boxing After Dark that deserves a tier all by itself. In addition, Jim Lampley and Emanuel Steward give a call absolutely worthy of the brutal poetry going on in the ring.

• Thanks 1

Watching Stevenson's fight right now and holy shit is he great. He's got it all. Great timing and control of range in particular. He's gotta move up to 135 soon, right? So many big fights for him there.

I only watched the highlights of Taylor/Serrano but that was pretty spectacular too. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Watching Stevenson's fight right now and holy shit is he great. He's got it all. Great timing and control of range in particular. He's gotta move up to 135 soon, right? So many big fights for him there.

I only watched the highlights of Taylor/Serrano but that was pretty spectacular too. 

Outside like an obligatory in house fight with another Top Rank guy Robson Conceicao, the only fights for Shakur Stevenson are up at lightweight and junior welterweight/super lightweight. The issue is will everyone going to get onboard. Kambosos winning the undisputed lightweight crown threw a monkey wrench into everyone's plans. That and Josh Taylor looking so poor against Catterall. If Teofimo beats Josh Taylor since that looks like what's next at 140, everyone will want the best lightweight (or whoever seems like the best lightweight at the time) to fight a very flawed champion at the higher weight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jiji said:

Interesting to see what happens at 135 for Stevenson. Lomachenko in theory gets the next shot at 135.  If Loma regains the title does Arum feed him to Stevenson to try and catapult Shakur to the next level?  No way Gervontae Davis gets in the ring with him.  Stevenson is in a shitty situation.  Too good to get in the ring with and not a big box office attraction, and doesn't really have a style that will make him an attraction, to lure opponents in with monster paydays 

5 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Interesting to see what happens at 135 for Stevenson. Lomachenko in theory gets the next shot at 135.  If Loma regains the title does Arum feed him to Stevenson to try and catapult Shakur to the next level?  No way Gervontae Davis gets in the ring with him.  Stevenson is in a shitty situation.  Too good to get in the ring with and not a big box office attraction, and doesn't really have a style that will make him an attraction, to lure opponents in with monster paydays 

Gervonta is supposedly a free agent after his next fight and seems like Floyd has given up or at least makes it seem like he expects Gervonta to explore free agency. Does Gervonta sign with Top Rank or Matchroom?  His opponents might not be the best, but he sells tickets. For guys like Haney and Stevenson who aren't draws yet, they need an A-side to fight in terms of box office. It's what eventually happened with Crawford when Top Rank pretty much ran out of people for him to fight. As much people touted Crawford as the top P4P guy and the best at 147, he had to leave Top Rank to fight the bigger box office draw in Errol Spence. 

Right call, Kell Brook. Kudos to Brook jumping up two weight divisions to fight Gennady Golovkin even.though it caused him life changing injuries, broken orbital bone.

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm glad Brook got to go out on the Khan victory even considering where they were in their careers.

Agreed. Still pissed I didn't put money on Brook in 6 as that's what actually happened.

39 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So yeah, Dmitry Bivol outboxed the shit out of Canelo and made him look like an amateur. 115-113 is kinda questionable, but it's Vegas. 

Happy at that result. Canelo vs. Golovkin III in September? Felt Triple G won both fights, especially the first.

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Happy at that result. Canelo vs. Golovkin III in September? Felt Triple G won both fights, especially the first.

I thought Golovkin won the first and Canelo won the 2nd. 

That said, I think Canelo's meteoric run is what finally brought together that fight in the first place. However, I'm not sure what that fight means now. Granted, it's back down at 160 and Canelo's fighting a faded version of Golovkin and not a true light heavy in his prime like Bivol. Canelo didn't look good tonight and knocking out a faded Golovkin doesn't do a whole lot for him. It would be essential Pacquiao-Morales III. Just totally unnecessary. Even with Fury-Wilder III, Wilder at least put Fury into the shadow realm for a good 15 seconds in the first fight. You had that one moment. What happened in the first two Canelo-Golovkin fights that didn't happen in Canelo-Lara, for example? After tonight, the whole "who can beat Canelo other than Floyd and back when Canelo hadn't developed as a fully formed, elite fighter yet?" intrigue is basically out the window.

I will say this...if Bivol had Beterbiev's punching power....oh boy. Tonight wouldn't have been pretty.

• Like 2

Canelo looked tiny out there next to Bivol. Victim of his own ambitions. I thought he'd win on the basis that he wouldn't take a fight he'd lose at this stage but, boy, when the bell went he looked completely out of his element. Full respect to Canelo for even being in that division.

Edited by A_K

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Good Lord, the hairs on my arms are standing up catching up with Jermell vs. Castano. What a fight.

I hope this ends the weird narrative started years ago that Jermall is a much better fighter than Jermell. Since Jermall stopped J-Rock (which was 5 and 1/2 years ago, mind you), Jermell has fought the much better opposition and looked better.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched that. Very measured performance up that moment but that was pretty much all he needed. Romero still looked fucked up on the way to the back. Garcia would be an excellent, huge fight but I don't think Garcia wants any part of him. He was in attendance though sooo... Golly, what if we got that fight and Spence vs. Crawford? 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1