DVDVR Message Board

2022 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Dolfan in NYC

If she plans to fight at FW or "lightweight", for all the talk or criticism Coker had for UFC, PFL's division or thrown together division would be better than BOTH UFC and Bellator's.

• Like 1

As long as people can be managed by their promoters and vice versa, you're always going to see stuff like this. And supposedly, it gets messier because Lopez is claiming Ali Abdelaziz undercut him by getting Trabelsi signed to the UFC and getting him booked on UFC 280 without his knowledge. He is also claiming Ali reneged on a buyout deal.

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Frankie Edgar is one of my favourite ever fighters. Still want to see him and Dominick Cruz go at it.

a rare moment of disagreement. i can appreciate Edgar's skills and especially his toughness, but he's never done anything for me. as his career went on, he just played spoiler to too many intriguing matchups while being unexciting in their place.

how different would his career trajectory have gone if they stopped the Maynard rematch way back when?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

a rare moment of disagreement. i can appreciate Edgar's skills and especially his toughness, but he's never done anything for me. as his career went on, he just played spoiler to too many intriguing matchups while being unexciting in their place.

how different would his career trajectory have gone if they stopped the Maynard rematch way back when?

No worries, mate. I love that fight, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II. That could have been a different career trajectory. The other, Benson Henderson/Edgar II. That was a split decision robbery that went to Bendo which meant Edgar moved down to Featherweight. One of the worst robberies ever. Bendo, Dan Henderson and Robbie Lawler were lucky getting some wins by decision that should have gone the other way

Edited by The Natural

Overeem/Hari 3 was wild, particularly the third round. Reem looked completely lost, like he forgot how to kickbox, was getting tagged with everything as he slowly, awkwardly waded into range throwing overhand hooks while staring at the canvas. Easy stuff for Hari to deal with but Overeem caught him with a fight changing uppercut in the second that probably should've been a knock down. Glory didn't show a good replay to see if Badr's glove touched the canvas or not. Anyway, round 3 Reem poured it on in a more controlled manner and started landing big shots. Two knock downs and the come from behind victory. Awesome fight. Fans in the Netherlands solidly behind Badr and booing Overeem. Massive boos for Rico in the crowd lmao. I've never seen an uneventful Hari fight. Something always happens with that fucked fucker. He even played peacemaker between Reem and Rico. Sadly he retired post-match in Dutch (whereas Overeem and Rico were speaking English). Beast.

• Like 1

Those weren’t “Dutch” fans. ?

Overeem definitely had a mma stance throughout the fight. Buddy of mine does strength and conditioning training with Overeem and the man is a fucking animal. It was also the difference maker in round 2 and 3. Hari just looked old and gassed out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just talking with some buddies of mine and had a question that I felt some of the more well educated posters of DVDVR may have the answer to.

Okay, when the UFC goes over to let's say Ireland; is there an athletic commission that is located over there separate from the UFC? Does a country have to have an athletic commission set up for them to go there and hold an event? Or can they just basically bring in all of their own people? The only reason I ask this is because I got to thinking about the O'Malley vs. Yan judging of the fight and it got me wondering. Well what if they held the event in say Russia, would there be Russian judges who give him the nod? I guess my question is - does the UFC supply the judges or does an athletic commission? And do those rules vary when they travel out of the United States since I'm not sure if they have to still follow the rules while being not on US soil.

Sorry, very long winded and I don't even know if I conveyed the question properly, but it was just something that I thought of and didn't even know what to google to find the answer.

3 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I was just talking with some buddies of mine and had a question that I felt some of the more well educated posters of DVDVR may have the answer to.

Okay, when the UFC goes over to let's say Ireland; is there an athletic commission that is located over there separate from the UFC? Does a country have to have an athletic commission set up for them to go there and hold an event? Or can they just basically bring in all of their own people? The only reason I ask this is because I got to thinking about the O'Malley vs. Yan judging of the fight and it got me wondering. Well what if they held the event in say Russia, would there be Russian judges who give him the nod? I guess my question is - does the UFC supply the judges or does an athletic commission? And do those rules vary when they travel out of the United States since I'm not sure if they have to still follow the rules while being not on US soil.

Sorry, very long winded and I don't even know if I conveyed the question properly, but it was just something that I thought of and didn't even know what to google to find the answer.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

short answer:

if UFC goes somewhere with an athletic commission, they work together.

if there is no AC, UFC essentially runs it themselves.

That's actually a very good question. I have a longer answer but with a slight caveat: some commissions still don't regulate (pro) MMA and also the UFC goes in accordance with the unified rules so technically they don't run it themselves. So basically, it all depends on the jurisdiction and their level of resources. About 10-15 years ago, their procedure was basically take Marc Ratner everywhere that didn't have a standing commission and have him be their one man gang in terms of regulation and also bring a crew of the best (or at least the most experienced) judges and referees from either one or more U.S. jurisdictions. It still kinda goes like that but there are less and less places that don't regulate MMA. Also, bringing a crew of outside officials is a holdover from boxing. Boxing promotions for decades have even done that even for places that do regulate the sport. This gets to the heart of your question. The biggest boxing promoters don't have the local yokels with very little experience doing the biggest fights. Same goes for UFC no matter where they go. You're never going to have a conflict of interest when it comes to judging. The assigned referee may be a little different because you do have to consider the referee being able to interact with non English speakers. However, very few times will you see that affect an outcome on the biggest level. So when the UFC do go abroad, the judging and referee assignments for the main event and co-main event or the top 3-4 main card bouts won't look too different from anywhere else.

• Thanks 2