DVDVR Message Board

2022 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

Dolfan in NYC

I think pretty much everyone with even a passing ineterest in Star Trek is aware of the Nichelle Nichols/Martin Luther King Jr. story where she was going to quit the show after the first season and he told her "no you cannot do that, don't you know who you are".

A different time. I wish she'd had a bigger role but she did absolutely everything with it that she could and her post-Trek career is a tremendous example of how to use your celebrity to actually do some good in the world.

• Like 5

Paul Eenhoorn, the Australian actor best known for his acclaimed late-in-life starring turns in the indie darlings This Is Martin Bonner and Land Ho!, has died. He was 73.

Eenhoorn died in his sleep of an apparent heart attack on Monday in his home in Tacoma, Washington, his wife, Stephanie, told The Hollywood Reporter.

He was going to start on a movie in Seattle with the filmmaking Silver brothers, director Kahlil Silver and writer Shogi Silver, later that day.

After relocating to the U.S. and the Seattle area in 1999, Eenhoorn portrayed the lead detective in Zoo (2007), a controversial documentary about a man who died after engaging in anal sex with a horse. The film premiered at Sundance and screened in the Directors’ Fortnight section at Cannes.

Damn.  Xanadu was a crappy movie, but it had a really great soundtrack.  Hopefully one day we will get the Summer Blockbuster Pool back on track so that Xanadu can once again be the Prize of Shame for the person that finishes last.

RIP

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Damn.  Xanadu was a crappy movie, but it had a really great soundtrack.  Hopefully one day we will get the Summer Blockbuster Pool back on track so that Xanadu can once again be the Prize of Shame for the person that finishes last.

RIP

That final skating/dancing sequence at the end of Xanadu makes up for the rest of the movie being crappy. 

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’m sure most everyone will talk about Grease and Physical.

My day camp went to see it the week it opened for whatever reason. First movie I ever saw where I said to myself, "Self, this isn't a very good movie." I was 7. That said, we're going to rewatch it as Cindy was a huge fan of hers.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I actually have a vinyl copy of the Xanadu soundtrack sitting next to me on a shelf with the rest of my mom's records. Should... should I listen to it? Like really?

Yes.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yes.

"Magic" sounds like it was ghostwritten by '80s King Crimson so that is weird. I'd put the record on but then I read this from the Ebert review: 

The movie approaches desperation at times in its attempt to be all things to all audiences. Not only do we get the 1940s swing era, but a contemporary sequence starts with disco, goes to hard rock, provides an especially ludicrous country and Western sequence, and moves on into prefabricated New Wave. There are times when "Xanadu" doesn't even feel like a movie fantasy, but like a shopping list of marketable pop images.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't know if I'm quite up for that right now

• Haha 1