DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies (2022)

odessasteps

39 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

James Gunn said he can't use ROM or Bug in GOTG, although he'd love to use them. 

I always figure the ROM love is just something you had to be a certain age for. Like I can't necessarily explain Darkhawk or the Liefeld X-Force to anyone who wasn't a 10 year old at the time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

I always figure the ROM love is just something you had to be a certain age for. Like I can't necessarily explain Darkhawk or the Liefeld X-Force to anyone who wasn't a 10 year old at the time.

The thing is, the ROM toys died pretty quick. The ROM comic developed into a really good book that I enjoyed when I was a young teen. Marvel took the idea and really did interesting things with it, while also making ROM an integrated part of the universe. Even the X Men fought the Dire Wraiths. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The thing is, the ROM toys died pretty quick. The ROM comic developed into a really good book that I enjoyed when I was a young teen. Marvel took the idea and really did interesting things with it, while also making ROM an integrated part of the universe. Even the X Men fought the Dire Wraiths. 

I'm not disagreeing with you but you're also of the age, Johnny. People who were 10 in 1980 feel a certain way about it that no one else does.

I didn't start reading it until I was 12, to be honest. I got some copies in a pile of comics someone gave me. What grabbed me was how dark it was. ROM was a cyborg who hated his life and the Dire Wraiths were really fucked up creepy and somewhat satanic in an alien way. And they dealt with the fact ROM basically murders the Wraiths more or less. 
Look, I guess what I'm getting at is that comparing ROM to Liefeld is insulting, man. Shit, ROM had Buscema. A man who could draw feet. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I'm not disagreeing with you but you're also of the age, Johnny. People who were 10 in 1980 feel a certain way about it that no one else does.

Hey now - I was only six in 1980 and feel much the same. This clearly disproves your argument and is not at all pointless nitpicking!

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

I like what I saw of Darkhawk during DnA's cosmic run. The love for ROM has always made me curious if its something I should check out.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Big year for Spider-Man celebrating his 60th anniversary. I'm most looking forward to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Part One (2022). There's big expectations following from the universal acclaim awarded to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). It's the best Spider-Man movie and one of the best comic book movies ever made. Fitting Spider-Man gets a movie on the big screen for his 60th Anniversary like the 50th with 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man and the 40th bringing Spider-Man (2002) longed for cinematic debut.

To me Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character, he's always been my second favourite hero behind naturally (no pun intended) Batman. 

Edited by The Natural

Yeah, if Marvel made a Micronauts franchise from their IP, I'd probably lose my shit.  That story would also take about a million years to tell.

They're already triggering me with the Quantum Realm stuff to the point where I am expecting a Bug cameo in Quantum-mania.

Edited by J.T.

Just watched this and it still gives me goosebumps. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is amazing. I have it second only to The Spectacular Spider-Man:

The Spectacular Spider-Man is my favourite Spider-Man adaptation period, whether animation or live action.

Edited by The Natural

Thor: Love and Thunder promo art gives the best look at Thor and Thor: Goddess of Thunder so far:

FINwTTMWUAoygqN?format=jpg&name=mediumFINwTGJWQAA0DNq?format=jpg&name=medium

Both look great. Thor: Love and Thunder is by far the Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie I'm most looking forward to in 2022.

• Like 1

Potential bad news for JT

In the aforementioned trailer, we saw a glimpse of Benedict Cumberbatch’s sorcerer battling a tentacled monstrosity that merchandise has revealed is called Gargantos. The thing is, though, that it looks nothing like the creature known as Gargantos from the comics and is clearly an adaption of the interdimensional being known as Shuma-Gorath in the comics.

The seemingly pointless name change has been frustrating fans on social media, but we may now know the reason behind the switch-up.

As pointed out by @UpToTASK on Twitter, Shuma-Gorath is actually a name that was first created by Conan the Barbarian author Robert E. Howard. So it’s likely that Marvel is hoping to avoid any sticky copyright problems with Howard’s estate and the holders of the film rights to his works by simply giving their own Shuma-Gorath a different moniker.

Edited by RIPPA
Paste as plain text
  • Like 1

That is total bullshit.  It is like a one sentence blurb in the "Curse of the Golden Skull" written in the 1920's and the story doesn't even go into who or what Shuma-Gorath really is.   He / it is name dropped as the author of a set of mystical texts bound by some weird magical lock.

The naming of Shuma-Gorath in the comics probably goes back to when Marvel had the licenses for the Conan IP and cross pollenated stuff as they saw fit.  Same as they did with Dracula and Fu Manchu.

Edited by J.T.

2b29801537cab3e2f768d08ab77d6790.jpg

Thor's MCU costumes. L-R:

• Thor (2011).
  • Avengers Assemble (2012).
  • Thor: The Dark World (2013).
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).
  • Thor: Ragnarok (2017).
  • Avengers: Infinity War (2018).
  • Avengers: Endgame (2019).

Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War are my favourites. I'd go with Avengers: Infinity War.